or Connect
Mothering › Groups › June 2012 Birth Club › Discussions › Dilemma...travel plans set to visit family that now have a sick baby....

Dilemma...travel plans set to visit family that now have a sick baby....

post #1 of 4
Thread Starter 

So we have plane tickets to visit my brother and his family over Easter, and then drive a few hours from there to visit my husband's family.  Problem is, they have 7 kids total, and their youngest is only a month old and was hospitalized with RSV this week. He's home now, but they also discovered that he is a carrier for MRSA.  Two of the other kids are also sick, with colds and ear infections.  We are supposed to be there in 10 days.  

 

While I think maybe they could all be well by then, I am also paranoid about us getting sick, especially with me being pregnant.  My boys are ages 3 & 5, all their kids are under 9.  I feel like the chances of us catching something might be pretty high and I'm not sure I want to risk it.  

 

The hard part is that this is a big trip for us, one we only make every 2-3 years or so, and of course everyone will be very disappointed if we skip seeing them and head right to the IL's.  

 

Any thoughts?

 

I asked my midwife, and she said that the carrier MRSA thing isn't a huge deal as long has no one in the house actually has cold symptoms while we are there, that MRSA is more commonly picked up in the hospital, it is community wide now where we live, so we could come into contact with it anywhere really. She thought maybe not staying in their house, and trying to just see them outside might be best, if I wanted to be on the super-safe side, but that's not really going to be all that easy with so many kids to corral, especially as there is one who is autistic and hard to handle outside their home.

 

Ugh!!!  Not sure what to do!

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #2 of 4

easter is a way off. i would feel comfortable going

post #3 of 4
Thread Starter 

Well, really we will be there from April 1-4.  The rest of the week was at the in-laws....if we were driving we could switch it up, but as we have the tickets set, we are flying to my brother's first, and home from NY, so we can't really change the dates now....

 

But maybe a few days doesn't really matter?  So frustrated about it, and I guess maybe we just have to wait and see how they are in a week.

 

post #4 of 4

That would make me really uncomfortable too, I'd probably wait a little longer before deciding though. 

  Return Home
  Back to Forum: June 2012 Birth Club
Mothering › Groups › June 2012 Birth Club › Discussions › Dilemma...travel plans set to visit family that now have a sick baby....