I'm asking this question for a family member and I'm hoping I can find some information to support the medical need for induction or waiting until baby is ready as safest option for both. This is her first pregnancy, mom to be is 21 and was informed this week that she would be starting steroids on Monday to support baby's lungs for an induction at 37 weeks. Mom to be said she is confused and didn't have time to ask her OB questions. She did say that all the tests her OB recommended for her and the baby were passed without any problems. She was told that her baby's long bones haven't grown how they should have for a 30 week pregnancy. Her OB suspects possibly skeletal dysplasia(dwarfism) or that her baby could just be petite like mom. She was also told she is now at risk for pre-term labor.
Does anyone here have experience with skeletal dysplasia or research supporting the true need for medical induction? I recommended that she avoid all medical inductions at this time and insist that her OB clearly answers her questions. Would it be a safer option for her to push for induction at 39 weeks or wait until baby is ready?
I would truly appreciate any information or personal experiences you can share. I'd like for her to be able to make an informed decision. In the back of my mind, I can't help but wonder what her OB's c-section rate is.
Thanks in advance,