My almost 4yo got a pretty deep cut on her lip doing a face plant against the bathroom door jam. It required 6 stitches (2 inside, 4 outside). She isn't vaccinated yet and the docs are pressuring us to give her a tetanus shot, most likely the dtap. They told me at the ER we should do it within 72 hours, which will be in about 12 hours. I'm torn. Any recommendations on this situation?
Related Forum Threads
- I feel like I am the only one in the world that choses not to vaccinate :( Last post on Today at 3:58 am in I'm Not Vaccinating
- Anti-vax/delayed vax friendly dr near Schenectady NY Last post on 5/23/13 at 1:01pm in I'm Not Vaccinating
- 4 mo old has cough... Can't get pertussis off my mind! Last post on Yesterday at 12:14 pm in I'm Not Vaccinating
- do i need an exemption if homeschooling? Last post on 5/23/13 at 9:08am in I'm Not Vaccinating
- DH has shingles.... how to prepare for chicken pox? Last post on 5/22/13 at 11:04am in I'm Not Vaccinating
Vaccinations: Why All the Fuss?
Edited on 2/24/13
- Resources for Non-vaccinating FamiliesEdited on 1/18/13
- Frontline's War on Selectively Vaccinating ParentsEdited on 3/14/13
- In Britain 12-Year-Olds Vaccinated Without Parental ConsentEdited on 3/8/13
- The Right to RefuseEdited on 3/20/13
Tetanus shot for lip wound?post #2 of 63/25/12 at 10:17pm
Tetanus spores cannot survive when exposed to oxygen. Blood carries oxygen. I imagine a lip wound like that would have bled quite a bit.
There are only about 30 cases of tetanus per year in the U.S., according to the CDC. Most cases are in people over 40 and heroin users.
Here are the package inserts for every DTaP vaccine.post #3 of 63/26/12 at 4:00am
They want high vax rate for DTaP, (especially with pertussis concerns), so they try to use the oppurtunity to get you to vax. As far as I understand, if there was significant tetanus concern - they would give tig, the vax would only be for future, tig for present risk. Do you know which they wanted to give you, or both? I don't think the wound you described would concern me very much in regards to tetanus risk.post #4 of 63/26/12 at 5:46am
i agree with the other posters as well....sounds to me like they want to up their vax status in the ER as well, rather than just stitch the lip..how likely is the door jamb to be contaminated with tetanus spores?post #5 of 63/27/12 at 12:32pm
I wouldn't do it for the type of wound you described. Bet that bled like crazy. If they are telling you to get the Dtap they must not be too concerned with this wound as the TIG would be given. DTaP would only be "effective" for future wounds of concern, but not this one.post #6 of 64/5/12 at 9:06pm
Hoping that their pressure did not overwhelm you. Unfortunately they were pressuring you for all their own reasons ~ and not for health reasons for your child or any potential risk for tetanus. A wound that requires stitches like that has to have bled forever...which cleansed the wound, which (as other PPs have said) negates any risk of contracting tetanus.
The vaccination does NOTHING for the current exposure risk ~ isn't effective for at least 14 days AFTER vaccination. So if they were really concerned they would have been apply the pressure for you to have the TIG administered...not the vaccination! But alas...it is all about compliance rates...and getting people to get that pesky pertussis vaccination!
- Tetanus shot for lip wound?
- Resources for Non-vaccinating Families
- › Ear piercing and Tetanus 1 minute ago
- › Dads and Co-Sleeping 5 minutes ago
- › ~*~October ddc Belly Thread~*~ 23 minutes ago
- › May the road rise up to meet you, Dingoes everywhere! 42 minutes ago
- › First Foods Pics Thread 55 minutes ago
- › Teeth 1 hour, 1 minute ago
- › Game of Thrones... Anyone? 1 hour, 6 minutes ago
- › HELP IN AZ! ROGUE MIDWIFE OR NATURAL OB! 1 hour, 18 minutes ago
- › Car dilemma -- which is the better deal? I need help ASAP with the... 1 hour, 19 minutes ago
- › easter eggs and dye 1 hour, 27 minutes ago
- › Medela Pump in Style Advanced Breast Pump with Shoulder Bag by matope
- › Philips AVENT ISIS Manual Breast Pump, White by matope
- › Bebe Au Lait Nursing Cover by matope
- › Lansinoh Lanolin for Breastfeeding Mothers 2 oz (56 g) by matope
- › Philips AVENT Washable Nursing Pads, 6 Count by matope
- › NUK Ultra Thin Nursing Pads, 60 Pack by matope
- › TRADITIONAL MEDICINALS TEAS Mother's Milk Tea 16 bags by matope
- › Leachco Snoogle Total Body Pillow by matope
- › Boppy Nursing Pillow with Slipcover by matope
- › Glamourmom Nursing Bra Tank by matope
- › Pause for Presence: A Personal Reflection by Marcy Axness
- › Ina May Gaskin Reviews Groundbreaking Book,... by Melanie Mayo
- › Why We Homeschool by Melanie Mayo
- › A Mama's Peace by AmandaK
- › 7 Simple Recipes to Bless a New Mom by Melanie Mayo
- › Closing Up Shop: Life After Vasectomy by Melanie Mayo
- › My Heart Growing Fonder by Melanie Mayo
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by Melanie Mayo
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo