My daughter will be 2.5 in April. She started in a toddler Montessori class 5 mornings a week (8:30 - 12:45) when she was 22 months old (due to necessity of me returning to work). It was a struggle for her to adjust to school, but after about a month there, she started thriving.
I just had my parent-guide meeting yesterday, and her guide recommended that she move up to the primary class beginning the week after spring break (mid-April). She says that Kora shows all signs that she's ready, including:
- being extremely verbal and able to express what she wants
- able to work independently on projects, and puts them away when she's achieved her level of satisfaction
- able to use the potty independently
- able to guide the younger children in some work
Here are my concerns:
- I thought that the primary class is ages 3 - 6. I'm surprised they would start at 2.5. The guide said that there will be 4 other toddlers moving up at that same time, but I wonder if they are doing this to allow for more space in the toddler program (I have no basis for that though).
- Kora is the only one in her class that leaves after lunch (she naps at home). Some of them stay until 3:30, and some stay until 5PM. The change from a 2-hour work cycle to a 3-hour work cycle will probably disrupt her regular lunch, which may take getting used to (which is fine, but it will be an adjustment).
- She hasn't been in her class for even a year! She loves her guides, and I think she is still so young to just up and move. Even though she enjoys school, she makes it clear that she would rather be at home with me, so I'm not sure how she would handle the change.
If she doesn't move after spring break, then she'll move in the fall. My husband and I are going to observe the primary class Thursday morning, but we need to make the decision very quickly since spring break is next week. The transition is supposed to be the first week in her toddler room with an hour each day in the primary community, then from the second week on she will be in the primary room the entire time.
What are other Montessori parents' thoughts on this transition? Too soon?
Thanks in advance!