or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Breastfeeding › Reverse cycled baby - how much to leave nanny in the day?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Reverse cycled baby - how much to leave nanny in the day?

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

My baby is 6 months old and he has reverse cycled since I went back to work. I'm fine with nursing all night long but I'm completely empty in the morning and find it hard to pump enough while I'm at work to leave the nanny in the day. What is the bare minimum I can leave? He is fed by bottle at 9am (5OZ), 12 (6OZ), and 3pm (6OZ). I'm now breaking into my freezer stash as I am constantly about 3 ounces short each day. Does he need 17 ounces during the day if he's at the breast all night long?

 

Thanks!

post #2 of 9

Wow, that's a lot of milk!  The general rule of thumb is 1 oz. per hour you are away.  A breastfed baby typically takes less than 4 oz. at a time, so 5 and 6 oz. bottles are definitely on the high side.

 

You are never out of milk, as your body makes it constantly.

 

Here is some good information about bottlefeeding the breastfed baby:

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/feeding-tools/bottle-feeding/

post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post

Wow, that's a lot of milk!  The general rule of thumb is 1 oz. per hour you are away.  A breastfed baby typically takes less than 4 oz. at a time, so 5 and 6 oz. bottles are definitely on the high side.

 

You are never out of milk, as your body makes it constantly.

 

Here is some good information about bottlefeeding the breastfed baby:

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/feeding-tools/bottle-feeding/


Holy cow. So, I'm gone 8 hours a day...he really only needs 8 ounces? Does that rule of thumb change as they get older? That sounds so little! I would be so over joyed to cut back. I'm pumping round the clock to have enough.

 

post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisep View Post


Holy cow. So, I'm gone 8 hours a day...he really only needs 8 ounces? Does that rule of thumb change as they get older? That sounds so little! I would be so over joyed to cut back. I'm pumping round the clock to have enough.

 



It shouldn't change as he gets older.  You might want to start by cutting back the amounts in the bottles slowly, or even better, having the nanny give him smaller bottles more often, on cue.  Make sure the nanny isn't pushing baby to take in every last ounce, and use a slow-flow nipple.  Then scale back the amounts in the bottles gradually.

post #5 of 9

I never left any more than 12oz and I pumped for my son just a little past his first birthday. Is this a new increase in demand (if he is 6 months, he might be interested in solids?) or has this been the case since you went back to work (in which case, I'd look at how he is being fed)?

 

 

post #6 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Phor View Post

I never left any more than 12oz and I pumped for my son just a little past his first birthday. Is this a new increase in demand (if he is 6 months, he might be interested in solids?) or has this been the case since you went back to work (in which case, I'd look at how he is being fed)?

 

 


He started off with 3 ounces every three hours at three months but just seemed to want more, so we increased. He was on the slowest flow nipple at first but we switched up around 5 months. I'll check in with the nanny on how she feeds him but I did go through it all with her before she started. He still fusses for more when he's done, but he's easily distracted so I think he's probably satiated.  The three hour mark seems to work well for him. It's so very hard to bottle feed on demand, or to get a nanny who fully "gets" it. She's trying hard, but still, it's not going to ever be as perfect as breastfeeding on demand.

 

post #7 of 9

I also never left more than 12 oz for a day away, my son is 13mo now and only takes an ounce or two when I'm gone anymore but nurses still plenty at night. But, I had a friend whose baby would pretty much take as much as he was offered so her day care bullied her into pumping around the clock to provide 16+ oz for 5-6 hour days :( I felt bad for her, it didn't seem necessary especially as they cosleep and he nurses at night as well. 

post #8 of 9

Also, if he is able to drink it very quickly now he may think he needs more before he realizes he has enough? As you said he is easily distracted after feeds and doesnt fuss to eat more just a few min later...

post #9 of 9

My husband watches our daughter while I work and she typically doesn't take more than 8-9 oz a day, except occasionally when really hungry she has drunk up to 12 oz but that's rare. This has been the case since I went back to work at 3 months, and now she is 9 months and still taking about the same amount. 17 oz sounds like a lot to me too. Especially if he is nursing all night, why does he need such a big bottle in the morning? I would try to cut back on his bottles, especially if he starts solids soon.

 

I also liked this page: http://www.workandpump.com/boosters.htm#no_milk . They advise sending what you pump and no more, with the theory that baby will make it up later. He definitely won't starve if you only send 14 oz/day. He can drink more when you're home.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Breastfeeding
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Breastfeeding › Reverse cycled baby - how much to leave nanny in the day?