i wanted to update this thread, both because it is a really big thing in my life and because we are taking some steps.
- twins 20m now and still no words at all, except "ball" and the occasional mimicked word but that is usually a rare one time thing. this holds for both of them.
- btw the my son finally walked at 16.5 months, nearly 3 months after my girl, but he just stood up one day and walked perfectly across the room, only stopping to turn around and clap with daddy who was cheering him on. it was all pretty funny cause he clapped for himself every time he walked for the next few days!
- today i had both kids hearing checked fully, they passed all 3 types of test they do with completely flying colors, no concerns what so ever. i was starting to rally think this was the issue, fluid or something. but while i would have loved a easy answer, i would rather have healthy twins, so I'm thrilled.
- 10 months of staying with family this last spring, then getting talk to all day long by tons of folks and a whole summer traveling and them being babysat by a talkative grandma and all, did not change the lack of talking at all, that kinda makes me feel better that it is not just that i dont talk to them enough, i really feel they get talked to a lot the last 4-5 months and that is not the big issue any longer
- it is soooo clear that their receptive language is great, and that they really have all the concepts in their heads well. they clearly are frustrated that it is not coming out.
- if someone were to tell me that they were talking perfectly, just in a different language i didn't know i would agree, their tone and inflection and intensity when they babble about everything is so speech like.
- but if one more person tells me how all of that is a great sign and they will burst forth with whole sentences next week I'm going to strangle them, its been like this for a few months now.
so what I'm doing:
- now that he hearing test is done i would like to rule out other big things and then focus on what i CAN do
- i have set them up with early intervention in my county, they had their first intake visit and will get their full evaluation next week.
- we start nursery school next week, its a transitional program that i go with them till Jan and then they go on their own, i think this socialization will be great for them, we had a social at the school last week to meet and greet and they had a blast off playing with the kids. kids that all do talk at least a bit and adults that cant read their minds.
- i have gone back to sign language big time and they have taken to it amazingly, they know probably 6-8 signs in just a week and actually asked my for things thru sign and were beyond the moon thrilled when it worked. i just got a second Signing Time dvd and we are watching it together, they are enthralled.