He's happy and playful most of the time, but here are the issues I am worried about:
1. He's usually very grumpy when he wakes up from his nap. I am the only person he will have anything to do with, if my hubby tries to hold him he flips out. He does ok with my mom who has watched him a few days a week for the last 2 years. Sometimes I have to hold him for an hour and get up and walk him around so he doesn't flip out. It happens wether he sleeps for an hour and a half or more, so it doesn't seem to be related to not enough sleep. I've had to turn my car around because he woke up from his nap and his dad was there but mom was not and he wouldn't stop crying.
2. Over the last 6 months on and off, he hasn't wanted anything to do with hubby except for play. I've almost always been the one to console and take care of him, but hubby has gotten more involved in the last year. DS gets upset when hubby tries to give him a bath when it's dad's turn. Sometimes hubby can get him calmed down then they have fun, but sometimes he just complains the whole time becau I am not there.
3. Most of the time DS won't let his dad hug him or give him kisses or even lay down beside him at night during story time. And it seems to be getting worse instead of better. Hubby asked DS to go to the store with him the other day, so they got in the car to leave and DS flipped out in the car in the driveway and I ended up having to go with them. On this particular day DS had been very clingy to me from the time he woke up.
4. He's very scared of pretty much everything. It seems to be on and off as well. Slides, strangers, other kids, new places, dogs, even just talking about going to the doctor makes him scared.
5. He stays with my mom a few days a week while I work, who he adores, and she says that pretty recently he's started asking and whining about me more.
He's never had a security item other than me. He never really took to a blanket or a stuffed animal. He even took himself off the pacifier when he was 6 months old and has never looked back. I tried to get him back ON the pacifier when he was little because he was so fussy.
Is he having insecurity issues because we stopped nursing too early for him? Is there something else I have done to make him so insecure? I know some of this is normal, but most of the time it seems extreme. He screamed so much and so hard at his last doctor's appt that even the doc asked what was wrong with him, if he'd be ok!
I guess I just want to know if any of this stuff is going to cause him to be insecure as whe he's older because HoPEFULLY this too shall pass. My hubby and I do the best we can and I want him to grow up to be strong, confident and smart. We try to good role models, not perfect by any means.