or Connect
Mothering › Groups › August 2011 Birth Club › Discussions › Supply drop?

Supply drop?

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
Okay y'all, I need some help. I'm noticing a pretty good drop in supply, or at least what seems to me to be a drop. I've had less milk than I did with DS, which I chalked up to my body just doing a better job of self-regulating. I know that I'm not preggo (DD's teething and night waking over the last months certainly saw to that), so what gives? Maybe aunt flo returning? I didn't get my period until 10+ months PP with DS, and I never noticed such ravenousness from him. DD is clearly HUNGRY. I'm feeding solids when I can, but the last few nights I've pulled freezer milk and she has frantically slurped it down. I pumped for 10 minutes tonight and pulled less than 1/4 ounce. She doesn't seem to be dehydrated, but she absolutely seems hungry.

Any tips on upping supply beyond oatmeal, sleep, skintoskin, and lots of water? At this point with DS, I was still pumping 6 extra ounces each morning, so I have no experience with any of the big guns stuff like fenugreek, extra pump sessions, etc....

How much fenugreek? How many pump sessions?

Halp!!!
post #2 of 24

I am no expert on this, but I have used Fenugreek seed (capsules) that are 610mg. it says to take 2 capsules 3 times  day, i did 3 capsules three times a day - and not longer than a day  - here i should note that i was working on reduced out put on left breast.

 

i saw a lc and she said to use it one week, give it a rest for 1 week and use again so your body does not get used to it. I was also told by a lll leader that blessed thistle w/ fenugreek is more effective, i never tested this.

 

in terms of pumping, shorter, more frequent sessions while getting used to it, and do not watch the bottle! if you can pump in between her feedings in the morning, that works the best for me ( but as you know better than i do works differerntly for everyone). i try to think about it this way, if you pump than have her nurse (not when she is super hungry) she will do a better job than the pump in emptying things, and signaling more is needed.

 

also, i m not convinced that you have a reduced supply, she may be growth spurtting so, needing more! only time can tell...we went through a growth spurt recently and she was eating like mad at nights! 

 

hope there is something useful in all this above! hang in there and big hugs to you.

post #3 of 24

i have no suggestions! i'm just sorry and hope things get worked out quickly!

post #4 of 24

I too say don't panic.  This is a notorious time for supply to regulate, baby to hit a growth spurt, etc etc. 

 

That said, hugs, b/c it's hard regardless when you feel frantic to feed your baby.


Have you heard of More Milk Plus tincture?  It is good stuff.  I used it in the past to help with pump output.  Also just drink a ton of water, it can't hurt!!!  And don't use the pump to measure supply.  Especially if you don't pump often (as in multiple times a day, daily, due to work, etc) it isn't a good indicator of your supply.  Baby can pull more, always.

 

 

How is she doing with solids?

 

 

post #5 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by elove View Post

...

also, i m not convinced that you have a reduced supply, she may be growth spurtting so, needing more! only time can tell...

 

This!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

I too say don't panic.  This is a notorious time for supply to regulate, baby to hit a growth spurt, etc etc. 

 

That said, hugs, b/c it's hard regardless when you feel frantic to feed your baby.


Have you heard of More Milk Plus tincture?  It is good stuff.  I used it in the past to help with pump output.  Also just drink a ton of water, it can't hurt!!!  And don't use the pump to measure supply.  Especially if you don't pump often (as in multiple times a day, daily, due to work, etc) it isn't a good indicator of your supply.  Baby can pull more, always.

 

 

How is she doing with solids?

 

 

 

I bought some of this recently and have seen a big improvement. I didn't actually have low supply, but I was having to do 4-5 pump sessions to get enough milk for River and just don't have the time (I was doing 3 before and getting extra). I think it's just our bodies regulating. Anyway, I noticed that my pump output did increase and my boobs were fuller and bigger. River was stoked and nursed a ton more for a few days. I think some babies just love to eat, you know? From the looks of the pics you post, it seems like that is true for your DD winky.gif.  Also, don't use how much she takes from the bottle as an indicator of how hungry she really is, it's just way easier to get it out of a bottle. Seriously, if DH offered it to him, River would take 4 oz right after I go to work, even if I nursed him before I left. 

 

I say that you should take a deep breath, trust your body is doing right, read this link from Kellymom, drink lots of water and just nurse that baby as often as she'll let you. If you feel like you need more, try the More Milk Plus (it can't hurt!), or you can take a CalMag supplement (which can help if AF is coming back).  hug2.gif

 

 

post #6 of 24
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the suggestions ladies.  I have been trying to be really diligent with the solids the last 48 hours to see if that helps her to be less hungry.  My boobs are always available to her, of course.  I offer boob before anything else -- at the first sign of fussing, and always before solids.  I would say that she is offered the boob at least once every 30 minutes.  But I think I'm just a bit thrown, because DS was not nearly as interested in solids as DD.  DH thinks that maybe she just will head toward solids sooner?  I don't know.  I know that the pump is a poor gauge of actual output, I've told SO many women the same darn thing.  But I've never gotten such a little bit of milk, ever, ever, ever with my pump.  At certain times of day I can't even hand express more than a few drops, it's so strange.  Is anyone else going through something similar right now?  Our babies are basically eating us out of house and home (and yet, my spare tire remains firmly in place) at this point.  But having a baby who is actually interested in solids at this point is puzzling.  DS didn't really show much interest at all until around 10 months.

post #7 of 24

Michelle, it feels weird to me how much my baby is actually eating.  DD didn't show much interest at this age so it's a bit trippy.  Finn consumes massive quantities of food...but he still nurses at least every 3 hours.  No break there.  Then again, I'm not intentionally replacing his milk with solids, so I can't say that it's a bad thing.  At this point we are pretty much ok offering him what we are eating plus or minus a thing or two.  Last night he must have eaten at least a half a cup of whole wheat pasta with sauce for dinner, and this was after nursing about an hour before.  He'll down bananas faster than I can tray them...grilled cheese sammies, he'll eat 1/4 or a 1/2 of a sammie...you get the gist.  Beans!  Cooked beans he will just eat and eat.

How are her diapers?  Output is really the only way (besides weight) that you know that she's getting enough.

post #8 of 24

Michelle I was having issues with just my right side a couple of weeks ago. It still isn't what is was, but everything I did to increase supply had my left overproducing, so I know it did help. Seth is still EBF, and we're waiting as long as possible to introduce solids so it was really important to me to get my supply back.

 

What worked for me was:

 

Porridge, nice plain salty porridge, several bowls over a couple of days seemed to really help.

 

Tahini, I read that seasame seeds are good for supply, so I've been munching tahini on home made bread.

 

Mother's Milk herbal tea. I had a box given to me, so I've been using that up.

 

Hope you find something/combination that works for your body quickly.

post #9 of 24
post #10 of 24

Michelle - I don't have any real good advice that you haven't already been given, but I am going through something really similar with Mal! I haven't had to pull freezer milk yet, but he's been nursing so much and the last few days I've been really questioning if he's getting enough. I think he's interested in solids but I'm kind of at a loss as to what to give him, mostly he just gnaws on raw carrots, apple slices and celery. I gave him a few sips of veggie broth and a taste of yogurt and he went wild, but with DD she didn't really ever eat anything she couldn't feed herself.

post #11 of 24
Michelle, I read this a while ago and haven't found time to reply until now. I haven't caught up on th posts I've missed, but I didn't want to miss a window of opportunity to respond. I found that fenugreek REALLY helped my supply when I went back to work. However, it made DD really gassy, to the point where we had to stop. By that point, though, my supply had been kicked back into gear (1 1/2 weeks?). We pulled some milk out of the freezer lately that was from that stash and it still made her really gassy. In my view, though, it was worth the boost it gave me. I also pumped after every feeding and made sure to double pump. The lactation consultant told me it was like twins nursing and would have more effect. I hope that helps!

I've been thinking about supply again lately. I used to consistently get 9-10 oz. when pumping 3 times at school. Lately it seems like 8-9. DD is approaching 9 months. Is this normal? Does supply slowly decrease with solids? I DEFINITELY want to nurse for AT LEAST a year, so I'm nervous about this. I haven't hit the point of doing the things I mentioned above, but I was wondering if this is normal or what...if I weren't pumping regularly I wouldn't even notice. She's nursing a lot at night and while I'm home during daytime hours, so I don't think it's for lack of stimulation.
post #12 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tear78 View Post

She's nursing a lot at night and while I'm home during daytime hours, so I don't think it's for lack of stimulation.


 

We're running out camping (yay!), but I wanted to say that if you're doing this, then I think you'll be okay.  Love you!

post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tear78 View Post

Michelle, I read this a while ago and haven't found time to reply until now. I haven't caught up on th posts I've missed, but I didn't want to miss a window of opportunity to respond. I found that fenugreek REALLY helped my supply when I went back to work. However, it made DD really gassy, to the point where we had to stop. By that point, though, my supply had been kicked back into gear (1 1/2 weeks?). We pulled some milk out of the freezer lately that was from that stash and it still made her really gassy. In my view, though, it was worth the boost it gave me. I also pumped after every feeding and made sure to double pump. The lactation consultant told me it was like twins nursing and would have more effect. I hope that helps!
I've been thinking about supply again lately. I used to consistently get 9-10 oz. when pumping 3 times at school. Lately it seems like 8-9. DD is approaching 9 months. Is this normal? Does supply slowly decrease with solids? I DEFINITELY want to nurse for AT LEAST a year, so I'm nervous about this. I haven't hit the point of doing the things I mentioned above, but I was wondering if this is normal or what...if I weren't pumping regularly I wouldn't even notice. She's nursing a lot at night and while I'm home during daytime hours, so I don't think it's for lack of stimulation.


Tear, on your days off, do you notice any difference in A? How is her weight, diapers, etc? If her personality is the same and all else is good, my guess is that your body just isn't responding as well to the pump as it used to. This happened to me a couple months ago, along with the return of AF. I went from pumping 14-16 oz in 3 sessions, to getting 10-12 oz in 4 sessions. Now, I know that as a teacher you have a more rigid schedule for pumping than I do, since I'm in an office. How much does A take while you are gone? 

 

I think that as long as A is happy and isn't eating more than you make in any given day, then you are all good! If you find yourself digging into your freezer stash, then maybe you can add an extra pump in at night (easier said than done, I know!). I also found good success with More Milk Plus tincture from Motherlove and CalMag supplements during AF. Good luck!

 

post #14 of 24

I just have to say I admire you pumping mamas so much joy.gif

post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tear78 View Post

Michelle, I read this a while ago and haven't found time to reply until now. I haven't caught up on th posts I've missed, but I didn't want to miss a window of opportunity to respond. I found that fenugreek REALLY helped my supply when I went back to work. However, it made DD really gassy, to the point where we had to stop. By that point, though, my supply had been kicked back into gear (1 1/2 weeks?). We pulled some milk out of the freezer lately that was from that stash and it still made her really gassy. In my view, though, it was worth the boost it gave me. I also pumped after every feeding and made sure to double pump. The lactation consultant told me it was like twins nursing and would have more effect. I hope that helps!
I've been thinking about supply again lately. I used to consistently get 9-10 oz. when pumping 3 times at school. Lately it seems like 8-9. DD is approaching 9 months. Is this normal? Does supply slowly decrease with solids? I DEFINITELY want to nurse for AT LEAST a year, so I'm nervous about this. I haven't hit the point of doing the things I mentioned above, but I was wondering if this is normal or what...if I weren't pumping regularly I wouldn't even notice. She's nursing a lot at night and while I'm home during daytime hours, so I don't think it's for lack of stimulation.

Tear, is she eating more at nights? DD was not reverse cycling for the longest time, so I figured she would not, but lately, she dropped her daily eatings and started eating like a mad lil lady at night time...so I used to get 5oz pumping first thing in the morning, i am lucky if I get 3oz now. But it is b/c she has a giant feast between 5-6am lately..So, perhaps there is some regulation going on without her being deprived??

 

I do too, want to nurse more than a year, and still trying to figure out how that will work with solids, potentially not bed sharing at one point etc in the picture...


 

 

post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat13 View Post

I think that as long as A is happy and isn't eating more than you make in any given day, then you are all good! If you find yourself digging into your freezer stash, then maybe you can add an extra pump in at night (easier said than done, I know!).


I totally agree with this!  Plus, the fact that babies are better at getting the milk out than pumps (and I fully believe your body can tell the difference too).

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by elove View Post

I do too, want to nurse more than a year, and still trying to figure out how that will work with solids, potentially not bed sharing at one point etc in the picture...

 


It does kind of just work itself out -- by the time they're doing other stuff/solids/sleeping alone, they're so used to nursing that they keep doing it (unless there's some big change in routine or some other upheaval).  At least that's been the case for both my kids so far.  I remember that my biggest worry was night weaning (for my first, my second is still nursing at night).  I thought she got so much of her intake at night that it would be a huge problem, but it too worked out...although I don't work during the day, so that may have helped (although I think they get a lot out of that first morning nurse or two after you night-wean).

 

Now if I could just convince my 5 year old that snuggling is just as nice as nursing...

 

post #17 of 24
Mares, thanks! love.gif I feel pretty proud of how I've stuck with it. It's definitely grueling to pump at every break and after school, and definitely isolating. Plus I keep having to deflect students and parents from why the room is sometimes locked. I can see how some people decide to stop breastfeeding when they go back to work. It's just SO important to me that I've been stubborn through supply drops and cracked nipples.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat13 View Post

Tear, on your days off, do you notice any difference in A? How is her weight, diapers, etc? If her personality is the same and all else is good, my guess is that your body just isn't responding as well to the pump as it used to. This happened to me a couple months ago, along with the return of AF. I went from pumping 14-16 oz in 3 sessions, to getting 10-12 oz in 4 sessions. Now, I know that as a teacher you have a more rigid schedule for pumping than I do, since I'm in an office. How much does A take while you are gone? 

I think that as long as A is happy and isn't eating more than you make in any given day, then you are all good! If you find yourself digging into your freezer stash, then maybe you can add an extra pump in at night (easier said than done, I know!). I also found good success with More Milk Plus tincture from Motherlove and CalMag supplements during AF. Good luck!

Thanks, cat! A seems to be chugging along happy as always, so I think we're fine. She's not eating more than I pump while I'm gone, but she's also having solids, and I get nervous that she'll start to wean prematurely. But I really don't think she will, since she loves to nurse when I get home. I drink a nursing support tea and eat oatmeal every morning. I definitely feel like my schedule is rigid: I'm always double-pumping one-handed while cramming my lunch in my face or planning with my other hand. I feel like I should get extra breaks, but as a teacher it's logistically hard and I haven't asked because I'd have to plan something for a sub to do with my class while I pump.

elove, DD definitely is a night nurser, though I honestly sleep-haze my way through it so I'm not sure how often. I nurse her when I get home (if I get home early enough), then again before dinner at around 5:30, then again before bed at around 7:30, and at night around 9, sometimes midnight and/or 3, usually 4:30, and always before I leave at 6:30. I think she just wakes up more often if she's more hungry.

I feel really lucky that I have a week off right now to nurse hardcore. I think it will probably help with my supply. But if I'm still not getting maximum output after break, I'll probably start pumping at night again after A is in bed.

Carlyle, I hope you had fun camping! I almost called you and then remembered taht's where you are. I miss you! blowkiss.gif Thanks for the support as always! love.gif
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tear78 View Post

Carlyle, I hope you had fun camping! I almost called you and then remembered taht's where you are. I miss you! blowkiss.gif Thanks for the support as always! love.gif


No, call me!  I'm here!  It was a one nighter...

post #19 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mareseatoats View Post

I just have to say I admire you pumping mamas so much joy.gif


Ditto ditto ditto.  Every time I use my pump (which is not very often), it makes me understand why SO many women don't continue for very long with breastfeeding.  You mamas have some seriously amazing commitment!

 

post #20 of 24

so just an update, the more milk plus + tons of oatmeal + coconut oil seems to be paying off. i am finally pumping more again... on one side. it's really crazy, i am pumping 6oz from the right and 1oz from the left first thing in the morning, and that is at 8am after she nurses the right at 6am. it's very funny to me. i am just so thankful that it is working, although i never want to look at oatmeal again, i will be keeping it all up! we also stopped giving her solids, as she really only seemed minimally interested, and we'll try it again once i am sure that the supply is back.

  Return Home
  Back to Forum: August 2011 Birth Club
Mothering › Groups › August 2011 Birth Club › Discussions › Supply drop?