- topicMindful Hometagged by System, 4/1/12
Related Forum Threads
- DIY Cleaning Products Last post on Today at 11:16 am in The Mindful Home
- homemade water filter Last post on 4/16/14 at 4:04pm in The Mindful Home
- Termites with Slab House? Last post on 4/15/14 at 12:45pm in The Mindful Home
- Cleaning bedrooms - what is acceptable? Do you all ask for help or are you the one helping? Last post on 4/6/14 at 12:36am in The Mindful Home
- Can I use a steamer? How to wash my floor? Laminated wood& some kind of Tile Last post on 3/25/14 at 11:12am in The Mindful Home
The Best Non-Toxic Beeswax and Soy Crayons
Last edited: 8/8/13
- Riding the Roller Coaster of Pregnancy and Becoming a ParentLast edited: 3/14/13
- Easy Ways to Green Your LifeLast edited: 1/26/13
- What if Reducing Your Carbon Emissions by Cloth Diapering, Baking...Last edited: 3/7/13
- The Impact of No Impact ManLast edited: 3/7/13
Burkey water filter insight?post #1 of 94/1/12 at 5:30amThread StarterAnyone have a Burkey water filter? How do you like it? I'm filter shopping and am overwhelmed with my choices. Also looking at Crystal Quest. I like that with the Burkey, I don't have to connect to any plumbing at all. I'm looking to eliminate/greatly reduce fluoride, chlorine, pharmaceuticals and other contaminants. Any insight you have is appreciated! Many thanks!post #2 of 94/30/12 at 9:20pm
I love my berkey system! I have a midsize stainless steel one. I only have the black berkey filters in it since I live in a city which doesn't fluoridate the water supply. The water from it is clean and fresh tasting. The black filters are super easy to scrub clean as needed ( I clean mine maybe twice a year), so basically last forever. Even my husband who's not into all this health stuff doesn't like to drink water except from our berkey. We fill up old glass juice bottles with our water every time we go anywhere.
Highly recommend. Never tried the Crystal Quest, so I can't compare tho.
post #3 of 95/2/12 at 10:22pmpost #4 of 95/5/12 at 11:00am
We love ours too. But, we have VERY sedimenty water, and we have to clean it up to once a week. Gross. That's our water supply though. Also, I was keen to remove the fluoride from our water, so we have the fluoride filters. They're awful. I called the company about them, and flushed them more times than I can count, but they add a funky taste to the water. The Berkey people told me that the fluoride filters do add a bit of a taste to the water, but that it decreases and some people don't mind. They also said that I was far from alone in my dislike/noticing of the taste, and that many people just give up and remove that portion of the filter. Kind of a bummer. But, even with that, we do really like our Berkey and would make the same purchase again.post #5 of 95/13/12 at 6:15pm
You can't go wrong with a Berkey! I can't give too much insight since we don't use ours regularly, but it was one of our best purchases. We have really good well water and we used our filter for a while but decided to pack it up to keep for long-term emergencies should we have water issues and need to filter questionable water sources such as our rain barrels.
But if we had any question about our water we'd use it daily! Love that it's so simple to use, well built, doesn't use any power and really is low cost in the long run. The filters are amazing and really do their job, we had fun testing them!post #6 of 95/29/12 at 9:49amThread Starterpost #7 of 92/3/13 at 5:45pm
For anyone thinking about getting the Berkey filter system and reading this thread....I no longer endorse them!!! The stems at the bottom of my black berkey filters have come loose, and who knows how long I've been drinking unfiltered water.
The water has been tasting worse and I finally checked online, and yes, there are tons of reviewers out there saying the SAME thing! The glue connecting the stem to the filter breaks down and then unfiltered water leaks through. So disappointing--and not good since I'm very sensitive to chemicals and have been struggling with my health lately. My water kefir grains have been doing badly as well, poor things, I didn't realize I was soaking them in unfiltered tap water.
I'm now shopping for a different brand of filters which will fit into the Berkey system.post #8 of 92/3/13 at 5:55pm
Berkey did have a large defective batch of their filter units that came loose and they have info on their site about it. They are mostly within a certain date range. Try calling the company and see if they will help you replace them--they can at least explain the current situation and what to expect. As far as I know the replacements for the defective filters aren't problematic.
We knew immediately when this happened to ours because of course it suddenly tasted just like tap water. We got a credit from the company for our new ones based on our original purchase date. It was a hassle to arrange the replacement but the new ones have been fine in steady use all year. It was disappointing that they did not find a way to let all of their customers know!
We still love the water quality and our relationship with our Berkey is still a good one for the foreseeable future.post #9 of 912/25/13 at 11:02amI realize this thread is older, but I just wanted to bring this up for those like myself who are looking for Berkey systems: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/CAMP-352
My BIL. told me about this, it is easy to put together and considerably cheaper than the Berky system while still being made in the U.S. The online video on it uses plastic, food-grade buckets, but you could use stainless steel containers if you wanted to.
- Riding the Roller Coaster of Pregnancy and Becoming a Parent
- › The person below me..... 1 minute ago
- › Grad Club: Where the group discussion continues after the ONE thread! 5 minutes ago
- › Keeping 3 year old occupied without technology 7 minutes ago
- › Due Date Community on Facebook? 10 minutes ago
- › Anybody thinking about their 'to do' list or 'to get' list before... 10 minutes ago
- › Feet swelling @ 10 weeks? 14 minutes ago
- › Missed Miscarriage 14 minutes ago
- › would you let your 11 yr old babysit? 16 minutes ago
- › ~~~The Belly Thread~~~ 17 minutes ago
- › Christian mom April '14 20 minutes ago
- › Epibi Nursing Pads by SparkleMaman
- › By Marie Winn - The Plug-In Drug: Television, Computers, and Family... by Catholic Mama
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › Turning Five by Sheryl Paul
- › WellFuture WellBelly April 2014 Giveaway by JenniO11
- › 30 Hilarious and Inspiring Parenting Quotes... by Melanie Mayo
- › Should We Stop Acting Like Breastfeeding is a... by Sarah Clark
- › Got Trust? The Antidote for Insecurity &... by Marcy Axness
- › Finding My Tribe After the Death of My Daughter by Melanie Mayo
- › Ten Tips for Surviving Two Under Two by Melanie Mayo
- › The Worry and Wonderment of Parenting by Melanie Mayo
- › 5 Surprising Benefits to Making a Pet a Part... by Melanie Mayo
- › Mining Joy from the Muck of Daily Mothering by Marcy Axness