- 9 Posts. Joined 8/2011
- Select All Posts By This User
- topicMindful Home
Related Forum Threads
- Should I save these mattresses? Last post on 5/17/13 at 5:29pm in The Mindful Home
- best home fragrance? Last post on 5/15/13 at 9:25pm in The Mindful Home
- Homemade fly traps?.. Last post on 5/9/13 at 12:14pm in The Mindful Home
- Carpet -- plan to sell, but might not -- need advice Last post on Today at 3:53 am in The Mindful Home
- Anyone living in a "tiny house?" Last post on 5/7/13 at 8:35am in The Mindful Home
Riding the Roller Coaster of Pregnancy and Becoming a Parent
Edited on 3/14/13
- Easy Ways to Green Your LifeEdited on 1/26/13
- What if Reducing Your Carbon Emissions by Cloth Diapering, Baking...Edited on 3/7/13
- The Impact of No Impact ManEdited on 3/7/13
- Win a set of stainless steel lunch containers from LunchBots!Edited on 1/7/13
Burkey water filter insight?post #1 of 84/1/12 at 5:30amThread StarterAnyone have a Burkey water filter? How do you like it? I'm filter shopping and am overwhelmed with my choices. Also looking at Crystal Quest. I like that with the Burkey, I don't have to connect to any plumbing at all. I'm looking to eliminate/greatly reduce fluoride, chlorine, pharmaceuticals and other contaminants. Any insight you have is appreciated! Many thanks!post #2 of 84/30/12 at 9:20pm
I love my berkey system! I have a midsize stainless steel one. I only have the black berkey filters in it since I live in a city which doesn't fluoridate the water supply. The water from it is clean and fresh tasting. The black filters are super easy to scrub clean as needed ( I clean mine maybe twice a year), so basically last forever. Even my husband who's not into all this health stuff doesn't like to drink water except from our berkey. We fill up old glass juice bottles with our water every time we go anywhere.
Highly recommend. Never tried the Crystal Quest, so I can't compare tho.
post #3 of 85/2/12 at 10:22pmpost #4 of 85/5/12 at 11:00am
We love ours too. But, we have VERY sedimenty water, and we have to clean it up to once a week. Gross. That's our water supply though. Also, I was keen to remove the fluoride from our water, so we have the fluoride filters. They're awful. I called the company about them, and flushed them more times than I can count, but they add a funky taste to the water. The Berkey people told me that the fluoride filters do add a bit of a taste to the water, but that it decreases and some people don't mind. They also said that I was far from alone in my dislike/noticing of the taste, and that many people just give up and remove that portion of the filter. Kind of a bummer. But, even with that, we do really like our Berkey and would make the same purchase again.post #5 of 85/13/12 at 6:15pm
You can't go wrong with a Berkey! I can't give too much insight since we don't use ours regularly, but it was one of our best purchases. We have really good well water and we used our filter for a while but decided to pack it up to keep for long-term emergencies should we have water issues and need to filter questionable water sources such as our rain barrels.
But if we had any question about our water we'd use it daily! Love that it's so simple to use, well built, doesn't use any power and really is low cost in the long run. The filters are amazing and really do their job, we had fun testing them!post #6 of 85/29/12 at 9:49amThread StarterThanks for all your insight. One other concern I have is with the fluoride filters, since they use alluminum in the filter and small amounts get deposited in the filtered water since there isn't a third stage. I wonder if this is a valid concern?post #7 of 82/3/13 at 5:45pm
For anyone thinking about getting the Berkey filter system and reading this thread....I no longer endorse them!!! The stems at the bottom of my black berkey filters have come loose, and who knows how long I've been drinking unfiltered water.
The water has been tasting worse and I finally checked online, and yes, there are tons of reviewers out there saying the SAME thing! The glue connecting the stem to the filter breaks down and then unfiltered water leaks through. So disappointing--and not good since I'm very sensitive to chemicals and have been struggling with my health lately. My water kefir grains have been doing badly as well, poor things, I didn't realize I was soaking them in unfiltered tap water.
I'm now shopping for a different brand of filters which will fit into the Berkey system.post #8 of 82/3/13 at 5:55pm
Berkey did have a large defective batch of their filter units that came loose and they have info on their site about it. They are mostly within a certain date range. Try calling the company and see if they will help you replace them--they can at least explain the current situation and what to expect. As far as I know the replacements for the defective filters aren't problematic.
We knew immediately when this happened to ours because of course it suddenly tasted just like tap water. We got a credit from the company for our new ones based on our original purchase date. It was a hassle to arrange the replacement but the new ones have been fine in steady use all year. It was disappointing that they did not find a way to let all of their customers know!
We still love the water quality and our relationship with our Berkey is still a good one for the foreseeable future.
- Burkey water filter insight?
- Easy Ways to Green Your Life
- › Queer, Pregnant, & Parenting - April & May 2013! 1 minute ago
- › Parent-Infant Classes 2 minutes ago
- › What to do for 3.5 year year old that just lost mom & almost lost... 4 minutes ago
- › Looking for a local midwife for home birth. 4 minutes ago
- › Nursing Mamas TTC May 7 minutes ago
- › Spring IVF 2013 7 minutes ago
- › May TWW Thread 7 minutes ago
- › ~Weekly Chat Thread for May 17th-May 23~ 8 minutes ago
- › Tintin comic books for 6 yr old? 9 minutes ago
- › Items in hospital bag...is this too much? 9 minutes ago
- › My Brest Friend Travel Nursing Pillow by KaliShanti
- › Leachco Snoogle Total Body Pillow by KaliShanti
- › Boppy Nursing Pillow with Slipcover by KaliShanti
- › Bebe Au Lait Cotton Nursing Cover - Poppy Hills by KaliShanti
- › Bravado Designs Bodysilk Seamless Nursing Bra by KaliShanti
- › Motherhood Wireless Full Coverage Nursing Bra by KaliShanti
- › Udder Covers for Nursing Mothers - CARSON by kelseywhitney
- › Trillium Organics OGmama Belly Butter by trilliumama
- › Gaiam Wrap Waist Yoga Pants by Melanie Mayo
- › Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by dayiscoming2006
- › My Heart Growing Fonder by VKHarberRYT
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by Melanie Mayo
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Melanie Mayo
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf
- › Managing Mom Stress: Sharing Tips and Trying... by Melanie Mayo
- › Who Wants to Sleep Alone? by Cynthia Mosher
- › Should I Train My Child....Like a Dog?! by Sarah Clark
- › Mothering Articles by Melanie Mayo