So, I thought my husband and I had agreed that we would pass on this, as we talked about "what if" there was autism or downs syndrome, but we both felt that we couldn't terminate for that as there's a wide spectrum of what it could mean. However in the doctors office, he didn't back me up on that. She gave us the packet in case we want to do it, but didn't have any literature (except in spanish) to give us.
I was concerned until he explained his position. A relative in his family had a baby girl who suffered some disease, we don't know what exactly. She died at 7, but her whole life was entirely dependent on others - I'm not talking about developmental delays, but NO development, ie her hand was clenched in a fist from birth and fused that way. She could not do anything herself, she was like an infant her whole life. From his experience, she suffered her entire short life, and he doesn't wish that kind of quality of life on anyone. While I agree that if we knew that was going to be our child's fate, that's the only way I'd consider terminating, I'm just not sure if that's reason enough to get the testing done.
Because, even if we find out what she had and check the tests for that, I don't know that the tests are accurate enough (especially this early) to predict the extent of the disease, just like we wouldn't know if it was mild or severe autism (or anything) with any degree of certainty.
I need more research into this, and I'm working on it, but I'd love to hear from some of you about your knowledge or experience with this test.
By the way, we didn't discuss it further yet since that conversation but he mentioned leaning towards not taking the testing at this point. (We both agree that if there's a test result that would change the doctor's approach in delivery/treating me and the baby, then there would be reason to take it. But if the sole reason is to decide on termination, it's a different story.)