How many cloth wipes do you use per diaper change? How many if it's a poopy diaper, on average? I'm sewing my wipes, and wondering how many to do. I'm thinking of having in stock 2 wipes/diaper...is that a good amount to sew? Advice anyone?
Mothering Top Picks
Related Forum Threads
- All cotton diapers that last like Motherease..BabeeGreens? Last post on Yesterday at 7:22 pm in Diapering
- Cloth diapering and traveling Last post on 5/19/13 at 6:52pm in Diapering
- how we live off the grid.. appreciate any tips to make life easier. Last post on 5/18/13 at 8:30pm in Country Living/ Off the Grid
- Itchy rash in cloth diapers Last post on 5/17/13 at 9:28pm in Diapering
- Its me again...Are contours my answer? Who loves contours?with wool? Help.Tie on nappy?How to... Last post on 5/12/13 at 7:50pm in Diapering
Cloth Diaper Guide: Top 10 Picks from the Mothering Community
Edited on 4/9/13
- Dumping Disposable DiapersEdited on 4/10/13
- Crazy For Cloth: The Benefits Of Cloth DiapersEdited on 10/18/12
- WORLD RECORD UPDATE: Simultaneous cloth diaper change record broken...Edited on 11/2/12
- A bit of diaper wisdom from India that could help save the AmazonEdited on 11/3/12
How many wipes?post #1 of 64/8/12 at 1:24pmThread Starterpost #2 of 64/9/12 at 10:16amWe use regular-sized washclothes (that you can buy in 10-12 packs at Walmart, etc.), and we only need 1 per diaper, even messy ones. That said, a few extras are good because we sometimes use them for other diaper-area clean-up tasks.post #3 of 64/11/12 at 7:18amI have twice as many as I use between wash cycles. I could get by with less for sure but it's nice to have extras so I know I won't run out, some stay inthe diaper bag, etc. Mine are just one layer of flannel with the edges rolled and sewn.
For poops these days we just use one wipe since DD eats a lot of solids. Before when her poops were a lot messier I'd normally use two - one I would wet down for the cleanup and the other one would just be a bit wet on one side to do one more just-in-case wipe and dry.post #4 of 64/11/12 at 9:27pm
We use one wipe for pee, one or two for poo usually...before DD was born I made 48 wipes out of two layers of flannel (4" x 8" or so), and that was not quite enough with line drying (partly because DH kept stealing them to use as burp cloths, and partly because I kept a bunch in the diaper bag). So I bought a couple of packs of cheap washcloths too--we use those mostly for poo since they're bigger.
Seriously, more wipes is way better than not enough wipes. If you have extra you can use them for burp cloths, spitup cloths, etc. ...and you might find that someone steals them for those uses anyway, even if you haven't got extra! :)post #5 of 64/13/12 at 5:01pm
Depends on what you make them out of.
I have (hemp) fleece wipes that really pick up and hold on to poo, even the sticky toddler stuff we have now. There are plenty of times when 1 is enough. But my flannel wipes, while bigger, don't grip as well, and can slide right over big messes, so I always need 2.
ETA - we started out with 50 fleece wipes almost 3 yrs ago. Now I have about 25 left. Don't know where they went, but they did. We're headed into a new baby with not enough wipes.
Edited by cristeen - 4/16/12 at 7:07ampost #6 of 64/15/12 at 12:17pm
At one point I had 40-50 (homemade) wipes. I would grab a handful and stuff them in the diaper bag, have another handful waiting to be washed, some in their place, some drying, etc... It is always nice to have a TON of them. A lot of them simply got lost. I have been using disposable wipes for a couple months now out of sheer laziness (well, because I'm pregnant) and after re-collecting all the cloth wipes for the new baby, I only found 15
I say do as many as you possibly can, they disappear!
- How many wipes?
- Dumping Disposable Diapers
- › how to sensitively introduce disability issues before playdate 4 minutes ago
- › your thoughts on facebook 15 minutes ago
- › How are you feeling? 22 minutes ago
- › May 2013 Chit Chat 1 hour, 9 minutes ago
- › Official bead sign up thread. :) 1 hour, 12 minutes ago
- › May the road rise up to meet you, Dingoes everywhere! 1 hour, 35 minutes ago
- › First Foods Pics Thread 1 hour, 44 minutes ago
- › Mother's Day 1 hour, 48 minutes ago
- › Baby Talk 1 hour, 50 minutes ago
- › Anyone in the centre region (nears Tours)? 1 hour, 58 minutes ago
- › My Brest Friend Travel Nursing Pillow by KaliShanti
- › Leachco Snoogle Total Body Pillow by KaliShanti
- › Boppy Nursing Pillow with Slipcover by KaliShanti
- › Bebe Au Lait Cotton Nursing Cover - Poppy Hills by KaliShanti
- › Bravado Designs Bodysilk Seamless Nursing Bra by KaliShanti
- › Motherhood Wireless Full Coverage Nursing Bra by KaliShanti
- › Udder Covers for Nursing Mothers - CARSON by kelseywhitney
- › Trillium Organics OGmama Belly Butter by trilliumama
- › Gaiam Wrap Waist Yoga Pants by Melanie Mayo
- › Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by dayiscoming2006
- › My Heart Growing Fonder by VKHarberRYT
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by Melanie Mayo
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Melanie Mayo
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf
- › Managing Mom Stress: Sharing Tips and Trying... by Melanie Mayo
- › Who Wants to Sleep Alone? by Cynthia Mosher
- › Should I Train My Child....Like a Dog?! by Sarah Clark
- › Mothering Articles by Melanie Mayo