We've lived and loved cloth for 2.5 years but it's just not working anymore. I think higher concentration and increased volume urine has resulted in painful ammonia burns for our little man. We've tried pre-folds with a fleece liner and pocket dipes with a synthetic liner. The only thing that works is a disposable diaper, of which we are not fans. It's worth it to keep our DS' skin intact but we would love to go back to cloth while he is potty training. Any suggestions?
Mothering Top Picks
- categoryDiaperingtagged by System, 4/11/12
Related Forum Threads
- Help me decide -- ME OS vs EconoME Last post on 3/12/14 at 12:08pm in Diapering
- Wool covers, inserts and a two year old Last post on Yesterday at 7:34 am in Diapering
- Hard water Last post on 3/8/14 at 9:06pm in Diapering
- best way to strip diapers Last post on 3/7/14 at 2:42pm in Diapering
- Diapers still sudsy after rinsing Last post on 3/6/14 at 3:17pm in Diapering
The Real Scoop on 10 Natural Diaper Creams: Toxicity and Cloth...
Last edited: 10/6/13
- Cloth Diaper Guide: Top 10 Picks from the Mothering CommunityLast edited: 10/9/13
- Dumping Disposable DiapersLast edited: 4/10/13
- Crazy For Cloth: The Benefits Of Cloth DiapersLast edited: 10/18/12
- Grapefruit Seed Extract to Treat ThrushLast edited: 9/19/10
Nighttime cloth, just not working anymore for 2.5yo, help?post #1 of 74/11/12 at 5:21pmThread Starterpost #2 of 74/11/12 at 6:13pm
hope somebody has answers, but our problem (same age kids) is the wad of inserts i have to use for overnight are becoming ridiculous and make the diaper not fit so well. we're sort of staying afloat but with any more pee or any sort of changes it's going to be leak city for us, too.
however, i assume you've tried vinegar rinsing? that plus the pockets (stuffed to maximum capacity) is what we're currently doing.
what are the other toddler mamas doing?post #3 of 74/12/12 at 8:41pmThread Starterpost #4 of 74/13/12 at 2:19pm
I have found, for my 3 year old, that our fleece liners were irritating him more than the wet cotton prefold itself. I actually only use one prefold, toddler sized, folded a bit down the front, paired with either a fleece cover (or just fleece pajama pants) or a wool cover. When I start messing with PUL at night, that is when we get awful ammonia burns/rashes.
What kind of cover are you using? That is what makes the biggest difference for us.post #5 of 74/13/12 at 2:58pmpost #6 of 74/13/12 at 4:04pmThread Starterpost #7 of 74/13/12 at 4:43pm
Definitely wool. PUL covers for us = burns also.
Babyology has been the most cost effective for us - it's pretty much all we use at night. They're double knit, so they're great at holding it all in.
For the diaper itself, we use a Happy Hempy OS pocket fitted with the stay dry inner. Stuffed with 2 trifold PFs and a heavy duty doubler to get us through the night. It's massively bulky, but it gets the job done.
I will say though that as soon as we started night-weaning we were able to trim back the stuffing in the dipe. He doesn't pee nearly as much at night now as he did when he was still drinking every 3 hours.
- Cloth Diaper Guide: Top 10 Picks from the Mothering Community
- › What's next mom?? 3 minutes ago
- › Delayed/selective vaccine-friendly doc in San Antonio? 19 minutes ago
- › Explaining diagnosis to one child without scaring sibling. 21 minutes ago
- › another star publicly refuses to vaccinate and they skewer her in... 26 minutes ago
- › ~*~ The TTC ONE Thread~*~ March 2014 29 minutes ago
- › Working Titles? 33 minutes ago
- › Looking for a banana birthday cake recipe for a 1st birthday... 50 minutes ago
- › Why isn't prevnar 23 on the schedule? 1 hour, 3 minutes ago
- › The subtle difference between "understanding" and "agreeing" 1 hour, 3 minutes ago
- › So many issues. Need advice and help. 1 hour, 5 minutes ago
- › By Marie Winn - The Plug-In Drug: Television, Computers, and Family... by Catholic Mama
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › The Night Before Christmas by rjdoghouse
- › Low Prep Art Projects for Kids by AmandaK
- › 8 Ways Natural Birth Helps With Breastfeeding by Sarah Clark
- › Probiotics and Your Little Ones by JenniO11
- › The Debate Over Handheld Devices for Babies... by Marcy Axness
- › Preparing your Child to Attend a... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › Am I A Bad Mother or Has Africa Run Out of... by BrainChild
- › Your Two-Year-Old Knows Squatting is Better by Melanie Mayo
- › Okay to Leave Kids in the Car While Popping... by Melanie Mayo
- › Laundry Zen by Laura Grace Weldon
- › High Needs Mother by BrainChild