We've lived and loved cloth for 2.5 years but it's just not working anymore. I think higher concentration and increased volume urine has resulted in painful ammonia burns for our little man. We've tried pre-folds with a fleece liner and pocket dipes with a synthetic liner. The only thing that works is a disposable diaper, of which we are not fans. It's worth it to keep our DS' skin intact but we would love to go back to cloth while he is potty training. Any suggestions?
Mothering Top Picks
- categoryDiaperingtagged by System, 4/12/12
Related Forum Threads
- making cloth baby wipes Last post on Yesterday at 10:13 pm in Diapering
- Diaper rash advice needed... Last post on Yesterday at 10:51 am in Diapering
- What to do with your no-longer-needed cloth diapers? Last post on 12/2/13 at 7:29pm in Diapering
- Rough/Scratchy Prefolds Last post on 11/20/13 at 8:47am in Diapering
- Alva 4.0 & Gdiaper hack Last post on 11/28/13 at 9:53am in Diapering
The Real Scoop on 10 Natural Diaper Creams: Toxicity and Cloth...
Last edited: 10/6/13
- Cloth Diaper Guide: Top 10 Picks from the Mothering CommunityLast edited: 10/9/13
- Dumping Disposable DiapersLast edited: 4/10/13
- Crazy For Cloth: The Benefits Of Cloth DiapersLast edited: 10/18/12
- Grapefruit Seed Extract to Treat ThrushLast edited: 9/19/10
Nighttime cloth, just not working anymore for 2.5yo, help?post #1 of 74/11/12 at 5:21pmThread Starterpost #2 of 74/11/12 at 6:13pm
hope somebody has answers, but our problem (same age kids) is the wad of inserts i have to use for overnight are becoming ridiculous and make the diaper not fit so well. we're sort of staying afloat but with any more pee or any sort of changes it's going to be leak city for us, too.
however, i assume you've tried vinegar rinsing? that plus the pockets (stuffed to maximum capacity) is what we're currently doing.
what are the other toddler mamas doing?post #3 of 74/12/12 at 8:41pmThread Starterpost #4 of 74/13/12 at 2:19pm
I have found, for my 3 year old, that our fleece liners were irritating him more than the wet cotton prefold itself. I actually only use one prefold, toddler sized, folded a bit down the front, paired with either a fleece cover (or just fleece pajama pants) or a wool cover. When I start messing with PUL at night, that is when we get awful ammonia burns/rashes.
What kind of cover are you using? That is what makes the biggest difference for us.post #5 of 74/13/12 at 2:58pmpost #6 of 74/13/12 at 4:04pmThread Starterpost #7 of 74/13/12 at 4:43pm
Definitely wool. PUL covers for us = burns also.
Babyology has been the most cost effective for us - it's pretty much all we use at night. They're double knit, so they're great at holding it all in.
For the diaper itself, we use a Happy Hempy OS pocket fitted with the stay dry inner. Stuffed with 2 trifold PFs and a heavy duty doubler to get us through the night. It's massively bulky, but it gets the job done.
I will say though that as soon as we started night-weaning we were able to trim back the stuffing in the dipe. He doesn't pee nearly as much at night now as he did when he was still drinking every 3 hours.
- Cloth Diaper Guide: Top 10 Picks from the Mothering Community
- › Are you a product of a SAH parent? 6 minutes ago
- › Welcome! Come introduce yourself! 7 minutes ago
- › Into the 2nd Trimester! 8 minutes ago
- › Who is doing hypnobirthing?? 8 minutes ago
- › What is your word for nursing? 11 minutes ago
- › ~*~ The TTC ONE Thread ~*~ December 2013 11 minutes ago
- › The Saner TTC and Graduates -- The Beaver Moon 20 minutes ago
- › Barefoot Running 22 minutes ago
- › Recommend a first-time birth plan? 25 minutes ago
- › Any other Barefooters out there? 25 minutes ago
- › Diva Cup Diva Cup #2 Post Childbirth, Cup by Taqah
- › GroVia Cloth All In One - Pudge by Taqah
- › North American Bear Company Rosy Cheeks Baby Tan by Taqah
- › Maya Wrap Lightly Padded Baby Sling by Taqah
- › Bamboletta Doll by sleeping mama
- › Melissa & Doug Cutting Food Box by ahilal
- › Prince Lionheart Whirl Balance Scooter, Natural/Pink by Melanie Mayo
- › Elves and Angels Sylvie's Wood Kitchen by Melanie Mayo
- › Natural Earth Paints Face Paint by Melanie Mayo
- › Glob Greeting Card Collage Kit with Seedpaper by Melanie Mayo
- › To Santa or Not To Santa by JillVettel
- › Three Low Cost Holiday Gifts to Make with Kids by Monica S
- › Mothering with Mental Illness: The Natural... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › A Difficult Conversation by Melanie Mayo
- › Does Motherhood Matter Anymore? by Melanie Mayo
- › Terms and Conditions: Holiday Cards Giveaway... by Cynthia Mosher
- › Mothering's Natural Toy Guide 2013 by Monica S
- › Top 20 Toy Picks for 2013 | Mothering Natural... by Melanie Mayo
- › 21 Toys Under $21 | Mothering Natural Toy... by Melanie Mayo
- › Toys to Splurge On | Mothering Natural Toy... by Melanie Mayo