I keep going back and forth in my head. I posted my long story, actually X-posted it on the other vaccination boards here at MDC and have gotten only one response which was basically a bunch of links I had already read.
I felt up to this point I made the right decision to not vax DD. If I was not pregnant again I don't think I would be even thinking about this...But DD is going to be starting preschool in Sept in the exact week the new baby is due. We are also in the middle of a record pertussis outbreak in our state, supposedly the highest since 1940. I have many, many friends with pertussis at the moment (most are adults.) If my 3 y/o DD got pertussis it would totally suck...But it's not her I am so worried about, it's the new baby. I am NOT going to vax a new baby.
I read online here how DTaP does not prevent transmission, and that is a bummer but I understand that point now. However, I am still thinking of getting 3 y/o DD the DTaP because 1.) If she does get pertussis, it will be less violent and she might cough less and thus spread the pertussis in the household less, plus it might be shorter lived. Also, I would not have to deal with taking care of a very sick toddler and trying to keep new baby away from her alone while DH is at work. 2.) Her preschool has a huge outside area with a sandbox and play area. I wouldn't need to worry about tetanus if she gets hurt at school.
DH is getting the DTaP booster because as he says "Why not?" I am on the fence myself. I don't feel comfortable getting a vaccine during pregnancy or breastfeeding, but I would if it meant I would be transmitting antibodies to my newborn through my milk. Does anyone know if that is true? Can a newly vaccinated mother transmit vaccine aquired pertussis antibodies through her milk to the newborn?
However, I am very, very afraid of vaccines. My heart breaks when I read stories about children who were forever changed after a vaccine. This is the main reason I don't want to vaccinate an infant, it feels wrong deep in my gut to do this. At 3 I know she is still a baby but she seems older, stronger, better equipped to deal with any adverse effects of a vaccine.
That said, I am about 50/50 on if I am going to go this route or not. I have 4-5 months to decide. Does anyone have information about adverse effects from toddlers getting DTaP? Or positive stories? Anecdotal stories really do help me a lot in my decision process.