I have an almost 2 week old who has a dry mouth and somewhat chapped lips. Breastfeeding seems to be going well at this point, decent latch, audible swallowing sounds, plenty of wet and dirty diapers, and she appears to be gaining weight. She did have jaundice which made her sleepy and she wasn't nursing enough in the beginning but the jaundice looks to be clearing up just fine and she's having more periods of wakefulness and longer periods of wakefulness. I have been on an elimination diet because she was having reflux. Most of it was "silent reflux"...she has vomited about 3 times, but the elimination diet seems to be helping and it's been 2 days or so since the last time she vomited. I haven't taken her to see a hcp yet, couldn't get a hold of the one that was recommended to me but will be scheduling an appt for her today to see a pediatrician. I'm just worried about getting bad advice from the ped about bfing, but I also don't know what to do about dd's dry mouth and lips. My SO thinks it's because we live in NM and it's very hot and dry here. Any advice appreciated. TIA.
Related Forum Threads
- 1 YO still waking every 45 mins-hour at night....am I the only one??? Last post on 5/17/13 at 10:54am in Life With a Babe
- Any BTDT advice for the first few weeks with newborn twins? Last post on Yesterday at 11:13 am in Parenting Multiples
- 9 month old hasnt grown much since 7 months Last post on 5/12/13 at 5:04am in Life With a Babe
- Colic/Foremilk-hindmilk imbalance/possible reflux/food intolerance? Or, is Grandma just super... Last post on 5/15/13 at 12:56pm in Life With a Babe
- How old were you when you had your first baby? Last post on 5/18/13 at 4:55pm in Birth and Beyond
10 Things You Don't Need For a New Baby
Edited on 1/19/13
- Holiday time: when family & friends criticise your parenting...Edited on 11/19/12
- Incorporating Mindfulness into MotherhoodEdited on 3/31/13
- My Declaration of Independence, by Leone (who turns one today)Edited on 3/11/13
- The Baby is 11 Months Old Today, or, How I've Learned to Let...Edited on 3/19/13
newborn with dry mouth (x-posted in Breastfeeding)post #1 of 54/12/12 at 9:34amThread Starterpost #2 of 54/13/12 at 5:01pm
I've never dealt with this issue, but I'll try to help you troubleshoot.
Are you well hydrated? It may be useful to try increasing your fluid intake.
How often are you feeding? Babies drink and eat at the breast, so offering more frequently may help quench any thirst.
That's all I can think of for now, except possibly swabbing LO's lips and mouth with water if it gets too bad. She's still a little young to offer water as a drink, since she's EBF..post #3 of 54/14/12 at 9:48pmThread Starter
Thank you for your response. I have been trying to drink more water and have been trying to nurse dd every 2-3 hours during the day and 2-3x after I go to sleep, though I'm very tired and we cosleep so mostly I just let her wake me to nurse. I normally let her nurse as long as she wants. I have an appt for her on Tuesday with a pediatrician, so we will see what she has to say. Hopefully it isn't a big deal and will resolve soon.post #4 of 54/16/12 at 6:07am
i have used chapstick on my daughter's lips when i notice they are really dry. think of how they are wet half the time from milk and drool, then they dry up when sleeping. if mine were like that they'd be horribly chapped for sure! lol i just use plain chapstick with no flavor or medication and use my finger, and i've only done it 3 times when she's been asleep.
i don't know about a dry mouth! i wonder if i'd even notice if a baby's mouth was dry.
- newborn with dry mouth (x-posted in Breastfeeding)
- Holiday time: when family & friends criticise your parenting...
- › Taking The Scenic Route to a BFP - Winter/Spring 2013 Edition 12 seconds ago
- › Gardening! 24 seconds ago
- › TMI Nipple Question 8 minutes ago
- › mama chat thread-early may 9 minutes ago
- › Teaching problem solving and deeper thinking... 9 minutes ago
- › Cord cutting 9 minutes ago
- › genetic testing 9 minutes ago
- › May Chat Thread! 10 minutes ago
- › Do big families bother you? 12 minutes ago
- › Signs of Impending Labor - chat thread 13 minutes ago
- › My Brest Friend Travel Nursing Pillow by KaliShanti
- › Leachco Snoogle Total Body Pillow by KaliShanti
- › Boppy Nursing Pillow with Slipcover by KaliShanti
- › Bebe Au Lait Cotton Nursing Cover - Poppy Hills by KaliShanti
- › Bravado Designs Bodysilk Seamless Nursing Bra by KaliShanti
- › Motherhood Wireless Full Coverage Nursing Bra by KaliShanti
- › Udder Covers for Nursing Mothers - CARSON by kelseywhitney
- › Trillium Organics OGmama Belly Butter by trilliumama
- › Gaiam Wrap Waist Yoga Pants by Melanie Mayo
- › Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by dayiscoming2006
- › My Heart Growing Fonder by VKHarberRYT
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by Melanie Mayo
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Melanie Mayo
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf
- › Managing Mom Stress: Sharing Tips and Trying... by Melanie Mayo
- › Who Wants to Sleep Alone? by Cynthia Mosher
- › Should I Train My Child....Like a Dog?! by Sarah Clark
- › Mothering Articles by Melanie Mayo