DD is 4 and has been attending a daycare facility in New York City for the past 3 years, most recently, she has been in pre-k at this facility and was accepted for UPK.
When she started back in 09, I submitted my vaccination waiver form to them along with a letter explaining my reasons not to vaccinate based on my sincere religious beliefs.
They accepted it, I assume they submitted it to the NYS Health Department (is that what happens? sorry Im a little rusty on the procedures) and I have had no problems/comebacks in the last 3 years. YAY!
However DD is starting Kindergarten in September and we are moving out of NYC, but still in New York- we are just going further upstate. I am about to start the registration process and of course this whole issue has got me nervous again. I just had a couple of questions, if anyone could help?
- Should I expect any problems? If my waiver and letter have already been accepted, can they now deny it? I thought it was up to the state, not the school? But after refreshing my research on this recently, it seems alot of schools think they are a law unto themselves:
This makes me wonder...who decides that your sincere religious beliefs are indeed sincere and that your religious exemption is approved? The school? The district? The state?
As is common, most people are shocked to learn that there is an exemption when I respond to the 'if shes not vaccinated, she wont be allowed into school' crowd. And now I'm getting this response 'well that may have gone over down in the city, but that might not fly up here!'
So what should my main concerns be here?
Thanks everyone!! :)