My 6yo dd is currently battling a chest cold. She has been fevering for a few days but it is currently gone. While she was still fevering at about 101.9 and had a wet cough with some congestion, she was seen by our family Dr. Our Dr. usually understands our desire not to over-use antibiotics and she usually is completely on board with avoiding the use unless there is a really good reason. However, I was surprised that even though she said my daughter's chest doesn't sound bad but she wanted to use antibiotics just in case. Antibotics JUST IN CASE??? I don't think so. So, because i'm afraid to call and question her decision and say that I don't agree, I've skipped the antibiotics to see how dd does over the next day. Her fever is currently gone which from what I understand would indicate there isn't any infection. And without a secondary infection during a cold virus, there isn't any need for antibiotics, right? My only problem is that though her fever broke, her cough sounds worse and junkier with congestion. The mucus is still clear without any yellow or green. And she says it doesn't hurt at all when she coughs... So has anyone experienced a cold like this? I don't want to use the Antibiotics (if its not necessary) but I don't want her getting bronchitis or pneumonia either... Any advice?
- categoryHealth Healing
Related Forum Threads
- whats the best elderberry syrup brand? Last post on 5/21/13 at 6:11pm in Health and Healing
- Random nighttime vomiting + swollen, puffy face/abdomen in 11-year-old Last post on 5/21/13 at 6:42am in Health and Healing
- Does anyone have AVIVA ROMM'S respiratory immune tonic recipe? Last post on 5/21/13 at 7:17am in Health and Healing
- Orthokeratology for Children Last post on Today at 12:11 am in Health and Healing
- Fevers: Is it normal for my dd to get fevers within 3 weeks of each other? Last post on 5/20/13 at 10:14am in Health and Healing
Prescribed antibiotics for a cold
If it is viral antibiotics are not oging to help anyway. We have only ever given them to our oldest 2 for dental infections and prophylactically once with a broken arm.
If the cough is bothering her get an expectorant which will help move the moucas out of her chest. We get a good one from Whole Foods but should be at most health food stores. Also some warm tea and a bit of honey.Garlic can also help fight infection.
Natureade herbal expec..my husband and mil both think it is the best thing. We have a kids version too, don't remember if it is thesame brand,but this one is god for 6+.
About a tablespoon of honey in a glass of warm tea works well for soothing throats and breaking up gunk.
Garlic, if she can swallow pills you could get some in capsules and give 1 or 2 daily or fresh I'd cook with as much as she'd eat.
- Prescribed antibiotics for a cold
- › the bf thread 2 minutes ago
- › Teaching problem solving and deeper thinking... 12 minutes ago
- › 10-15 Minute Cleaning Sessions (New Thread) 13 minutes ago
- › Leave Your Kids at the Park? 14 minutes ago
- › May the road rise up to meet you, Dingoes everywhere! 14 minutes ago
- › May 2013 Chat Thread 15 minutes ago
- › Boys vs. girls 15 minutes ago
- › ~Weekly Chat Thread for May 17th-May 23~ 15 minutes ago
- › Taking The Scenic Route to a BFP - Winter/Spring 2013 Edition 19 minutes ago
- › May TWW Thread 23 minutes ago
- › Lansinoh 20265 Disposable Nursing Pads, 60-pack by KaliShanti
- › Boppy Nursing Pillow with Slipcover by earobb
- › Medela Nightime Nursing Sleep Bra by earobb
- › Motherhood Wireless Full Coverage Nursing Bra by earobb
- › NUK Ultra Thin Nursing Pads, 60 Pack by earobb
- › The First Years Breastflow BPA Free Bottle, 5 Ounce by KaliShanti
- › Simple Wishes Hands-Free Breastpump Bra, XS/S/M by KaliShanti
- › Seal N Go Breast Milk Freezer Disposable Liners - 25 / Pack by KaliShanti
- › Medela Quick Clean Micro-Steam Bags by KaliShanti
- › Lansinoh 20435 Breastmilk Storage Bags, 25-Count Boxes (Pack of 3) by KaliShanti
- › My Heart Growing Fonder by Melanie Mayo
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by Melanie Mayo
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Melanie Mayo
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf
- › Managing Mom Stress: Sharing Tips and Trying... by Melanie Mayo
- › Who Wants to Sleep Alone? by Cynthia Mosher
- › Should I Train My Child....Like a Dog?! by Sarah Clark
- › Mothering Articles by Melanie Mayo