Hey everyone. This is my first post here...
My daugher will be 2 in june and haven't started potty training till recently. She runs to the bathroom and sits on her potty but she refuses to go. But the second she gets off she will go lol. Anyone have any tips for me?
- topicToddlerstagged by System, 4/19/12
Related Forum Threads
- What cartoons do you let your toddler watch? Last post on 3/24/14 at 10:13am in Life with a Toddler
- Would you send your 1-year-old on a vacation for a week with your parents but w/out you? Last post on 12/5/13 at 1:01pm in Life with a Toddler
- How old is too old for a girl to go shirtless? Last post on 4/21/14 at 2:52pm in Parenting
- When your child is too quiet - what's the biggest mess you've found? Last post on 4/17/14 at 6:23pm in Parenting
- Special Advice For A Very Young Toddler? Last post on 2/12/14 at 1:10pm in Life with a Toddler
Day in the Life: A Graphical Representation
Last edited: 4/21/14
- The "I Help" Bag: A Way to Engage Curious ToddlersLast edited: 1/12/14
- Five Things My Toddler Made Me Forget About BabiesLast edited: 12/6/13
- 3 Rules for Bedtime ReadingLast edited: 12/6/13
- 30 Ways it's Become Painfully Obvious That You're a MomLast edited: 9/17/13
Potty trainingpost #2 of 54/19/12 at 8:12am
I would consider that "intro to potty training".
When she's really ready (I believe most kids are ready right around two) She will do it in under three days. If you feel like she's ready, you take off the diapers, put on the panties and make a weekend of it. If after day two, there's not a huge improvement or effort, stop for a few months and try again later.
ETA: I forgot to add....
I use a potty chair in the main room. (the kid's playroom) and Sometimes I potty train several kids at once, it goes faster that way. I bought a bunch of those one piece potties so I can clean it easily.
She can watch tv or color etc while she sits there for a minute or so. Don't have her sit there for very long unless she wants to. If after a couple of minutes, it's probably not going to happen.
For the older kids (2 1/2-ish) I make a potty chart with stickers. They love that because they are daycare kids, and it's something to take home. After a few days, though, i'm tired of putting a sticker on their card every time they go potty a little. Then they figure out how to control it and go every four minutes for a new sticker.
I've heard candy is a great motivator, but I've never done that because it isn't fair to the other kids.
Edited by nextcommercial - 4/19/12 at 8:26ampost #3 of 54/19/12 at 10:40ampost #4 of 54/22/12 at 6:28am
My little girl acted similarly. She knew all about the "potty" but just didn't know how to use it - and yes the same thing, as soon as she got off, she would pee!
After talking with her pediatrician at her 2 yr check-up that Friday I implemented my potty training strategy and by early in the next week she was completely out of diapers - she was even diaper free by the weekend!
I have a website call My Pampered Child - it has exactly what I did. You don't have download anything and it doesn't cost anything - it's just a step by step guide to how I potty trained my little girl.
BTW...my site has some other neat stuff as well such as how I ditched our crib at 12 months and put my daughter on a floor bed (Montessori).
Maggiepost #5 of 59/16/12 at 5:48pm
Chloeysmommy, thanks for this post. Exactly what my 21-month old does.
maggiejones, thank you for the recommendation. I checked out your 'step by step' guide and it is so basic. I really appreciate your curating and sharing what worked for you. Now, I just need to patiently wait for more signs!
- The "I Help" Bag: A Way to Engage Curious Toddlers
- › What hurt more than labor for you? 2 minutes ago
- › April Chat/Vent 4 minutes ago
- › Waldorf Homeschoolers Group - Portland, OR 7 minutes ago
- › Pre-teen wild child? 9 minutes ago
- › Nursing Tops? 14 minutes ago
- › Looking for a doula in Hartford CT 22 minutes ago
- › baby led weaning - baby cries from frustration! 25 minutes ago
- › hi all 27 minutes ago
- › New here. Am I doing this right? Lol 28 minutes ago
- › Word Association Conga Line 33 minutes ago
- › Epibi Nursing Pads by SparkleMaman
- › By Marie Winn - The Plug-In Drug: Television, Computers, and Family... by Catholic Mama
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › 3 Simple Ways to Nurture Yourself by Marcy Axness
- › The Birth of River by Kristen Tea
- › The Never Agains by BrainChild
- › Day in the Life: A Graphical Representation by OliviaHinebaugh
- › Operation Meditation by Brian Leaf
- › Turning Five by Sheryl Paul
- › WellFuture WellBelly April 2014 Giveaway by JenniO11
- › 30 Hilarious and Inspiring Parenting Quotes... by Melanie Mayo
- › Should We Stop Acting Like Breastfeeding is a... by Melanie Mayo
- › Got Trust? The Antidote for Insecurity &... by Marcy Axness