Hey everyone. This is my first post here...
My daugher will be 2 in june and haven't started potty training till recently. She runs to the bathroom and sits on her potty but she refuses to go. But the second she gets off she will go lol. Anyone have any tips for me?
- topicToddlerstagged by System, 4/19/12
Related Forum Threads
- What cartoons do you let your toddler watch? Last post on 12/3/13 at 10:30am in Life with a Toddler
- Would you send your 1-year-old on a vacation for a week with your parents but w/out you? Last post on 12/5/13 at 1:01pm in Life with a Toddler
- How old is too old for a girl to go shirtless? Last post on 10/23/13 at 11:11am in Parenting
- When your child is too quiet - what's the biggest mess you've found? Last post on 10/8/13 at 1:19am in Parenting
- Special Advice For A Very Young Toddler? Last post on 11/19/13 at 7:28am in Life with a Toddler
Five Things My Toddler Made Me Forget About Babies
Last edited: 12/6/13
- 3 Rules for Bedtime ReadingLast edited: 12/6/13
- 30 Ways it's Become Painfully Obvious That You're a MomLast edited: 9/17/13
- Can you hear me now?Last edited: 8/9/13
- Sexy Little GirlsLast edited: 7/24/13
Potty trainingpost #2 of 54/19/12 at 8:12am
I would consider that "intro to potty training".
When she's really ready (I believe most kids are ready right around two) She will do it in under three days. If you feel like she's ready, you take off the diapers, put on the panties and make a weekend of it. If after day two, there's not a huge improvement or effort, stop for a few months and try again later.
ETA: I forgot to add....
I use a potty chair in the main room. (the kid's playroom) and Sometimes I potty train several kids at once, it goes faster that way. I bought a bunch of those one piece potties so I can clean it easily.
She can watch tv or color etc while she sits there for a minute or so. Don't have her sit there for very long unless she wants to. If after a couple of minutes, it's probably not going to happen.
For the older kids (2 1/2-ish) I make a potty chart with stickers. They love that because they are daycare kids, and it's something to take home. After a few days, though, i'm tired of putting a sticker on their card every time they go potty a little. Then they figure out how to control it and go every four minutes for a new sticker.
I've heard candy is a great motivator, but I've never done that because it isn't fair to the other kids.
Edited by nextcommercial - 4/19/12 at 8:26ampost #3 of 54/19/12 at 10:40ampost #4 of 54/22/12 at 6:28am
My little girl acted similarly. She knew all about the "potty" but just didn't know how to use it - and yes the same thing, as soon as she got off, she would pee!
After talking with her pediatrician at her 2 yr check-up that Friday I implemented my potty training strategy and by early in the next week she was completely out of diapers - she was even diaper free by the weekend!
I have a website call My Pampered Child - it has exactly what I did. You don't have download anything and it doesn't cost anything - it's just a step by step guide to how I potty trained my little girl.
BTW...my site has some other neat stuff as well such as how I ditched our crib at 12 months and put my daughter on a floor bed (Montessori).
Maggiepost #5 of 59/16/12 at 5:48pm
Chloeysmommy, thanks for this post. Exactly what my 21-month old does.
maggiejones, thank you for the recommendation. I checked out your 'step by step' guide and it is so basic. I really appreciate your curating and sharing what worked for you. Now, I just need to patiently wait for more signs!
- 3 Rules for Bedtime Reading
- › Dear Adoptees, 4 minutes ago
- › is Glucose Test necessary? 12 minutes ago
- › Midwives near Carlisle, PA 13 minutes ago
- › Pregnancy Symptoms 14 minutes ago
- › Anyone else not want to see a doctor at all during the first... 20 minutes ago
- › Placenta takeover? 56 minutes ago
- › The "Progressing / Positive / Impending / I'm in Labor" Thread 1 hour, 26 minutes ago
- › ~*~ The TTC ONE Thread ~*~ December 2013 1 hour, 38 minutes ago
- › Coping for the Highly Sensitive Parent 2 hours, 10 minutes ago
- › Quail 2 hours, 13 minutes ago
- › The Polar Express by MamaLucera
- › The Return of the Light: Twelve Tales from Around the World for the... by Terry Stafford
- › The Shortest Day: Celebrating the Winter Solstice by Terry Stafford
- › The Diaper-Free Baby: The Natural Toilet Training Alternative by Fembot
- › The Snow Queen by Astraia
- › The Night Before Christmas by 1love4ever
- › The Snowy Day by janonia
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by Melanie Mayo
- › Christmas in the Big Woods by Melanie Mayo
- › Diva Cup Diva Cup #2 Post Childbirth, Cup by Taqah
- › Can Attachment Parents Put Their Own... by KidsInTheHouse
- › Phases of a Nursling by OliviaHinebaugh
- › Holiday Books Giveaway Rules by Melanie Mayo
- › Developmental Milestones to Marvel At by Monica S
- › 15 Fun and Enchanting Holiday Tales for Children by Melanie Mayo
- › To Santa or Not To Santa by JillVettel
- › Three Low Cost Holiday Gifts to Make with Kids by Monica S
- › Mothering with Mental Illness: The Natural... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › A Difficult Conversation by Melanie Mayo
- › Does Motherhood Matter Anymore? by Melanie Mayo