or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Allergies › Tell Me About Oral Allergy Syndrome
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tell Me About Oral Allergy Syndrome

post #1 of 4
Thread Starter 

We have a 21 month old that within minutes after eating a strawberry and kiwi started saying "Mouth!" and rubbing his fist inside his mouth and around his mouth. We developed very small bumps all around his mouth, a little under one eye and pin-prick sized bumps inside his lip. We gave him benadryl and it went away fairly soon. He also can't digest a lot of fruits. We're still dealing with diarrhea from the time mentioned above. 

 

He's always loved strawberries, he doesn't fully digest them..but he's never had a reaction like this. He has had an on again, off again rash around his mouth. I've read OAS can be linked to seasonal hay fever type allergies. We do live in a rural area in NC and we didn't have much of a winter, which means tons of pollen. He had a cold last week, but still has a lingering runny nose and I'm wondering if it's allergies? 

 

Any advice? Holistic treatment? Things to definitely avoid? 

post #2 of 4

I am not so sure it is OAS.  Possibly.  But I know our allergist said that seasonal allergies don't usually start until 3ish  for my dd it was the spring and summer before she turned 3 (September birthday).  So it was her 3rd spring/summer.

 

I would suggest getting tested for allergies to strawberry and kiwi before assuming it is OAS.  You can also to the SPT to test for the environmental allergies.  Generally OAS is a reaction to certain fruits and vegetables that is caused because of an allergy to trees/grass/weed.  My daughter has OAS and the doctor told us that she can still eat the items, but if she reacts (hers is that her mouth itches) then she should stop, tell an adult and take benadryl.  He suggested eating those things off season, or cooked/canned/etc.  My daughter still eats most things, but she refuses canteloupe because she says it always makes her mouth itch.  It is kind of scary though having this determination as to when to not eat something be in the hands of a young child, but I have stressed it with her, and I am certain she understands.  Canteloupe was a favorite when she was a baby/toddler and did not cause her problems until the seasonal allergies kicked in.
 

post #3 of 4

I would get to an allergist.  Sounds like more than OAS to me.  A reaction like you are mentioning can progress to a very serious situation  very fast.

 

Good Luck!

post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigrl View Post

I would get to an allergist.  Sounds like more than OAS to me.  A reaction like you are mentioning can progress to a very serious situation  very fast.

 

Good Luck!

In the meantime, I don't think I would offer strawberry or kiwi again until you know they are ok.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Allergies
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Allergies › Tell Me About Oral Allergy Syndrome