I am procrastinating at work, so this is perfect timing!
1. Backstory: I'm 34, newly married to a 36yo who my friends nicknamed "the Lumberjack" when we started dating 4 years ago (he's super tall & broad, with a beard...much like all the other guys in San Francisco!). He's the first man that I dated in over a decade - I came out as queer in college, and only dated women until I met him. This led to some hilarious assumptions on his part...we met at an event and I was totally smitten, flirting with him as much as seemed decent. He met up with some friends later that night and was talking about me, and it turns out one of them knew me...as a lesbian. So he was very confused, and thought that he had been pretty conceited, assuming I was flirting! Luckily I am not known for being shy, so I tracked down his email and wrote him, and four years later we're married with a baby on the way!
I grew up here in the California Bay Area, although my family moved to Thailand in 1989 so I went to the International School of Bangkok for middle school & high school. Went to college in LA, then came back up here and haven't left since. Fooled around with a few different jobs before having an awful work experience (at a feminist sex toy store, of all places) which prompted me to go to law school & practice employment law.
2. I'm craving: BEER. I want beer so badly. I have sips periodically, but I miss being able to drink as much as I want! My husband & I are both huge craft beer fans, and there are so many amazing options here, and I get so sad not being able to have any.
3. If I had $1000: I want to say something exciting and glamourous, but honestly I'd just put it towards our credit card. We're still paying off a few wedding expenses, and I really just want to clear it all off already! However, if bills weren't an option, I would want to go on vacation somewhere beautiful and calm, for as long as the money lasted! Oh, and I'd buy a cool cat tree (I realize that's an oxymoron). And maybe some plants (which I would promptly kill, because I forget that they require upkeep).
4. Soup bores me, unless I'm sick. But when we were little, my brothers & I had a weird phase where we would smoosh our ice cream until it melted into soup. So, I guess my favourite soup is ice cream soup!
5. We live in a 2-bedroom apartment in Oakland, with two cats. I love our neighbourhood, and the rent is good, so I think we'll stay for awhile. I just wish we didn't have carpeting, and that we had a dining room! Right now we have a living room and an eat-in kitchen. We can pull the table out part-way into the living room if we have a bunch of people sitting around it, but it makes everything really crowded. So, I dream of having a dining room one day. Fingers crossed.
6: My name! I'm a burlesque dancer, and my stage name is...Penny Whistle. I started performing in 2003, so it's been quite a while...I was just starting to think about phasing out of the troupe when I found out about the baby, so it's actually really good timing. We had a show Saturday night which will be my last. I'm still going to attend rehearsal and help direct the troupe, but no more performing for me, at least for now! I'm hoping to make a cameo appearance or two once I've popped out this kid
If you're into that sort of thing, I have a blog: http://dkingneece.wordpress.com/
I started it when I found out I was pregnant...since I found out 10 days before our wedding, I named the blog "Shotgun Fetus."