I'm wanting to get an IUD and have an appointment with my doc in a few days and I'm kinda freaking out about the side effects. I like the idea of Mirena potentially taking away my periods altogether but am very concerned if it will make me gain weight due to the hormones. Does anyone know if it typically causes weight gain? The ParaGard freaks me out because I don't like the idea of having long heavy periods. Is this one of those things where I can't have my cake and eat it too?? :(
Mothering Top Picks
Related Forum Threads
- Ultrasound and Autism, preterm labor and other birth defects Last post on 5/21/13 at 4:04pm in I'm Pregnant
- Goodbye to MDC, no longer a positive place Last post on 6/10/13 at 5:06am in Site help and feedback
- best type of preschool curriculum for my highly sensitive child Last post on 4/28/13 at 12:23pm in Learning at School
- I'm not sure where to post this Last post on 2/28/13 at 9:48am in Site help and feedback
Mirena or ParaGard???
i went with the paragard when it came time to choose. i chose it specially because of the reasons that you mentioned. hormonal birth control and i don't get along. i'm always the one who gains a bunch of weight, or whose cycle completely stops, or you name it and i've had it.
you may want to think long and hard about the mirena if you don't want the side effects because as you know you can't pick and choose which ones you end up with.
I've had mirena for 3.5 yrs now. I had it placed at my 6wk post birth appt. I haven't had a period in over 4 yrs, it is TRULY GLORIOUS! Mirena takes time to get used to. Including but not limited to, painful sex, at first, slight cramping for a few days post insertion, and if the strings aren't trimmed it can poke your husband.
I love mine, I plan to have it re-inserted after this 5 yrs is up.
oh on the hormone level questions, if you were to have your blood drawn and I were to have my blood drawn our progesterone levels would be the same. The progesterone stays pretty local. so if you had nasty headaches or weight gain or anything like that with other birthcontrols, don't stress that it will happen with mirena. It could happen, but it's a lot smaller of a choice. If you decide to get mirena commit to leaving it for 6 mos then re-evaluate.
I've had my Mirena for almost 3 years now and <3 it! I actually *lost* about 10lbs when I switched from the pill to the IUD. No period since about 3 months after it was placed, too. I've been a bit more prone to mood swings, but they are all about the time I would be having a period, so I kind of wonder if not having the hormones from the pill floating around has just made the moodiness that would be there regardless more obvious.
I do occasionally spaz about somehow being pregnant with the IUD (especially when I had symptoms from a probable small cyst), mostly because without a period you'd miss the lack of one as an early symptom, but if I get really worried I just get a cheapie poas test and all is well.
- › vaccines are great 20 seconds ago
- › Does your child need milk (cow's) at night and you worry about... 1 minute ago
- › How would you deal with this bilingual child's issue? 13 minutes ago
- › spotting 16 minutes ago
- › Do you regret or love the popular baby name (top 5 SSA list) you... 22 minutes ago
- › What are "dealbreakers" when it comes to your kids' friends' home... 24 minutes ago
- › In Labor or Warming up for Labor Thread... 27 minutes ago
- › Seeking MA mamas who've birthed/are birthing at NH birth centers:... 29 minutes ago
- › CNM HOMEbirth midwives in Central Ohio??? 33 minutes ago
- › Queer, Pregnant, & Parenting - April, May & June 2013! 40 minutes ago
- › Aveeno Cleansing baby shampoo by fayebond
- › Aveeno Soothing Oat Baby Wash by fayebond
- › Earth Mama Body Butter - 8oz by fayebond
- › Maclaren Beginning Travel Kit for Mother by fayebond
- › Bravado Designs Bodysilk Seamless Nursing Bra by lightbulb
- › Bug Band Insect Repellent Wristbands - Blue by fayebond
- › Natural Bug Blend Bug Repellent Spray by fayebond
- › Do Naturals Just Berry Shampoo and Conditioner by fayebond
- › Zoe organics Baby Bath Tea by fayebond
- › Calming Blend Shampoo & Bodywash 17oz by fayebond
- › Ouch! How Homeopathy Can Help With Those... by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathic Help for Post-Partum Mothers: a... by Melanie Mayo
- › Adding the Second Child by Sarah Clark
- › 5 Steps for Managing Stress and Anxiety by Melanie Mayo
- › What Marketers Don't Understand About... by Melanie Mayo
- › For the Dads by Rachel Wolf
- › What Happened When This Bereaved Mom Sought A... by momofnatasha
- › More About Soothing Small Tummies from... by Melanie Mayo
- › Get Ready To Read By Playing by Melanie Mayo
- › "Do You Trust Me?" by SantoshaMama