I'm wanting to get an IUD and have an appointment with my doc in a few days and I'm kinda freaking out about the side effects. I like the idea of Mirena potentially taking away my periods altogether but am very concerned if it will make me gain weight due to the hormones. Does anyone know if it typically causes weight gain? The ParaGard freaks me out because I don't like the idea of having long heavy periods. Is this one of those things where I can't have my cake and eat it too?? :(
- topicSignaturetagged by System, 4/28/12
Related Forum Threads
- Mobile version troubles Last post on 3/13/14 at 1:14pm in Site Help
- Not sure what to do next? Last post on 2/19/14 at 7:33pm in Site Help
- Can't see Last post on 2/2/14 at 8:08pm in Site Help
- Forceful letdown Last post on 1/12/14 at 9:31am in Breastfeeding
- Wondering if I'm pregnant Last post on 12/26/13 at 8:49am in Fertility
Mirena or ParaGard???
i went with the paragard when it came time to choose. i chose it specially because of the reasons that you mentioned. hormonal birth control and i don't get along. i'm always the one who gains a bunch of weight, or whose cycle completely stops, or you name it and i've had it.
you may want to think long and hard about the mirena if you don't want the side effects because as you know you can't pick and choose which ones you end up with.
I've had mirena for 3.5 yrs now. I had it placed at my 6wk post birth appt. I haven't had a period in over 4 yrs, it is TRULY GLORIOUS! Mirena takes time to get used to. Including but not limited to, painful sex, at first, slight cramping for a few days post insertion, and if the strings aren't trimmed it can poke your husband.
I love mine, I plan to have it re-inserted after this 5 yrs is up.
oh on the hormone level questions, if you were to have your blood drawn and I were to have my blood drawn our progesterone levels would be the same. The progesterone stays pretty local. so if you had nasty headaches or weight gain or anything like that with other birthcontrols, don't stress that it will happen with mirena. It could happen, but it's a lot smaller of a choice. If you decide to get mirena commit to leaving it for 6 mos then re-evaluate.
I've had my Mirena for almost 3 years now and <3 it! I actually *lost* about 10lbs when I switched from the pill to the IUD. No period since about 3 months after it was placed, too. I've been a bit more prone to mood swings, but they are all about the time I would be having a period, so I kind of wonder if not having the hormones from the pill floating around has just made the moodiness that would be there regardless more obvious.
I do occasionally spaz about somehow being pregnant with the IUD (especially when I had symptoms from a probable small cyst), mostly because without a period you'd miss the lack of one as an early symptom, but if I get really worried I just get a cheapie poas test and all is well.
- › Silly things you've been told about breastfeeding? 21 minutes ago
- › Gestational Diabetes Support Group 55 minutes ago
- › Fruit makes me gag 1 hour, 1 minute ago
- › Unplanned UBAC waterbirth, painless. *pics* 1 hour, 28 minutes ago
- › WISC IV scores v. Kauffman FCI 1 hour, 53 minutes ago
- › Has anyone had revision surgery on a perineal tear? 2 hours, 25 minutes ago
- › Coping with husband not wanting more children 2 hours, 46 minutes ago
- › Devastated over husband not wanting more children. 2 hours, 55 minutes ago
- › DH makes weird statements about food when I try to discuss our food... 3 hours, 34 minutes ago
- › Midwives in CT (again...) 3 hours, 43 minutes ago
- › By Marie Winn - The Plug-In Drug: Television, Computers, and Family... by Catholic Mama
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › The Night Before Christmas by rjdoghouse
- › Low Prep Art Projects for Kids by AmandaK
- › 8 Ways Natural Birth Helps With Breastfeeding by Sarah Clark
- › Probiotics and Your Little Ones by JenniO11
- › The Debate Over Handheld Devices for Babies... by Marcy Axness
- › Preparing your Child to Attend a... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › Am I A Bad Mother or Has Africa Run Out of... by BrainChild
- › Your Two-Year-Old Knows Squatting is Better by Melanie Mayo
- › Okay to Leave Kids in the Car While Popping... by Melanie Mayo
- › Laundry Zen by Laura Grace Weldon
- › High Needs Mother by BrainChild