or Connect
Mothering › Groups › November 2012 Due Date Club › Discussions › The Name Game...

The Name Game... - Page 3

post #41 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by oikophile View Post

 

. I bet our grandchildren will be named Boomer names like Nancy, Linda, Judith... (The name recycling doesn't seem to have happened as much with boys' names. Haven't met any little Elmers or Clarences yet.)

 

I like Genevieve! I only know two and they're about my age. I also like Guinevere, not related but has a lot of the same letters and isn't as popular.

Oh my gosh- it's so hard to imagine a resurgence of Barbara's and Linda's- ugggh.  But, yah it's probably inevitable... there are only so many names out there and they get overused fast.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDivineMrsM View Post

 

I know two little girls named Evelyn. It's a great name but definitely gaining in popularity. Genevieve is beautiful! Not sure if you're a nickname person, but there are lots of options with Genevieve too. 

 

Would you use Camille as a first?

 

I don't think we would use Camille as the first- it just doesn't have "that" feeling to me, although, I love it.  Which is why we're thinking middle name.  Not sure if that makes any sense.  Names for me are like music and flowers... they just have a certain feeling and they affect me in a certain way that I can feel.

 

I wish we were having twins and then we could use both Genevieve and Evelyn ;-)  They go so well together.

post #42 of 117

I love Camille, too!  I've been toying around with it.  Camilla, Camelia, Camille...I don't love the nickname Cammy, though, and it would be hard to avoid in my family.  I think Evelyn and Genevieve are equally great, but I tend to be very conscious of how popular a name is, so would lean toward Genevieve.  You never know what name is going to blow up, though.  Or what celebrity will name their kid your baby's name right after it is born. There are so many names that I feel like I have to cross off my list because they are too popular.  I'm really trying to make myself not care about it, because I think names should "feel" right, like you say, and it shouldn't matter if they are popular.   

 

I was thinking about the old lady names coming around again.  It seems like the old man names are coming back around where I live, too, but maybe not to the same extent as they are for girls.  I know a couple of little George's and Gus's.  I met a baby Wally the other day.  I think boy names aren't as subject to trends as girl names, so there are more "timeless" boys names.  They don't fall out of favor as quickly as a whole, maybe?

 

I've been poring over nameberry.com for girl names and getting frustrated that DH and I can't really agree on anything, so I'm thinking on Tuesday we will probably find out that this little one is another boy.

post #43 of 117

We settled on names for either boys or girls with just different middle names.  If they were boys it would have been Emerson Reese and Ellis Reed.  Since they are girls they will be names Emerson Lily (nn Emmy) and Ellis Willow (nn Ellie).  It's funny because we had lots of names before we got pregnant and none of these were on the list.

post #44 of 117
I like Genevieve *and* Evelyn so I'm no help :-)

Erienne is still my favourite name and DH is keen to have Willow as a middle name so our top contender at the moment is Erienne Willow. I also like Gabriella but DH isn't so keen on that. He suggested Scarlett yesterday which I quite like but don't love. He doesn't love it either so we've agreed to just let it sit on the list for a while and see which way we lean.

I am calling her Erienne in my head but I did that last time with Lyric as well and it didn't suit her when she was born so I'm keen to have a short list so I don't have to start from scratch when she's born and my brain is mush.
post #45 of 117
Thread Starter 

Never met a Genievieve or an Evelyn! I think maybe it depends on what part of the country you live in. I've noticed that there seem to be more of certain names in certain areas. For instance, I'm originally from San Diego and there are lots of Ryleys. Carleys, Kaylies, etc. Now that I am in Oregon I hear those less and there are more Jades, Elianas, Fionas....that kind of thing. At any rate I like Evelyn and you there is lots of good nickname potential there :)

 

We are struggling with names over here too! I am so surprised about it because our DD was sooo effortless to name, and we came to a decision on a first name for a boy very easily. Hubby has pretty much shot down all my names thus far, while not really contributing much irked.gif Although he has been getting slightly better. 

 

For a boy, the first name is Jude, we haven't really ventured into finding a middle name yet since we are so busy trying to come up with girl names!

 

I know I mentioned these before, but here is my list of girl names:

 

Aria *Hubby says this sounds "choppy" WTF??? It's like the most un-choppy name ever!

Carys *THIS is my favorite, I adore it but DH just doesn't like it

Lyric *I like this more for a middle name probably, hubby is ok with it as a possible middle name

 

I've suggested countless other names which have mostly been scoffed at. The only name I've suggested that hubby loved was Eisley. I actually suggested it as a middle name for Carys because I knew he would love it (for those who don't know, it's a reference to Star Wars.) I think it's really pretty sounding and unusual (and hoped that most people would not get the reference). Anyway, I was thinking that maybe he would like Carys Eisley together and it would get me my name lol. Now he just wants Eisley as a first name. I really do like it but I just had my heart set on Carys.

post #46 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn82 View Post

Never met a Genievieve or an Evelyn! I think maybe it depends on what part of the country you live in. I've noticed that there seem to be more of certain names in certain areas. For instance, I'm originally from San Diego and there are lots of Ryleys. Carleys, Kaylies, etc. Now that I am in Oregon I hear those less and there are more Jades, Elianas, Fionas....that kind of thing. At any rate I like Evelyn and you there is lots of good nickname potential there :)

 

We are struggling with names over here too! I am so surprised about it because our DD was sooo effortless to name, and we came to a decision on a first name for a boy very easily. Hubby has pretty much shot down all my names thus far, while not really contributing much irked.gif Although he has been getting slightly better. 

 

For a boy, the first name is Jude, we haven't really ventured into finding a middle name yet since we are so busy trying to come up with girl names!

 

I know I mentioned these before, but here is my list of girl names:

 

Aria *Hubby says this sounds "choppy" WTF??? It's like the most un-choppy name ever!

Carys *THIS is my favorite, I adore it but DH just doesn't like it

Lyric *I like this more for a middle name probably, hubby is ok with it as a possible middle name

 

I've suggested countless other names which have mostly been scoffed at. The only name I've suggested that hubby loved was Eisley. I actually suggested it as a middle name for Carys because I knew he would love it (for those who don't know, it's a reference to Star Wars.) I think it's really pretty sounding and unusual (and hoped that most people would not get the reference). Anyway, I was thinking that maybe he would like Carys Eisley together and it would get me my name lol. Now he just wants Eisley as a first name. I really do like it but I just had my heart set on Carys.


Right now I'm thinking it's going to be Evelyn, but not enough to have anything monogrammed ;-)

 

I love Eisley, I have an Ainsley- so it's very similar.  I just love irish names.  How do you pronounce it? 

post #47 of 117

Oh wow, I love all the girl names you all are picking out! Erienne is unusual and lovely. So are Camille and Evelyn. Sigh! love.gif

 

We had so many beautiful girl names on our list with DS and it was HARD to come up with boy names we agreed on. Now we're having another boy and the only bad part of that is THE NAME. I was so happy at the ultrasound to find we were having a boy but then I said "Oh crap, now we have to find a new boy name!". Kinda sad I'll never get to use all my delightful girl names but oh well!

 

Finalists for our new sweet boy are: Emmett or Everett. I think we're leaning toward Everett. 

Middle name would be either River or Forest (since we live in a secluded wooded area next to a river) or maybe Marco (my mother's Italian maiden name is DeMarco).  

post #48 of 117
I like Everett!

We told my in-laws the name we agreed on last night so I guess it's official, but I still feel weird saying it aloud. Neala. Haven't talked about a middle name yet, but I hope to give her my middle name, so that'd be Neala Marie.
post #49 of 117

Sarah - love that you are thinking of River or Forest for a middle name:)  We are going to stick with a nature theme for our middle names too... DD's middle name is Rain, everyone thinks this new little girl should have Sunshine in her name:)  We would have used Moss for a boy, but not so sure about it fitting for a girl:)

 

Bmorefarmgirl - love the name you've chosen!  It's beautiful and unusual - does it have a meaning?

 

Now that I know ours is a girl, I am liking names that start with M for some reason... but not sure which one yet:)  I like Mae, but DH thinks of Sallie Mae and Fannie Mae - he he

post #50 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheri R View Post

 

Now that I know ours is a girl, I am liking names that start with M for some reason... but not sure which one yet:)  I like Mae, but DH thinks of Sallie Mae and Fannie Mae - he he

 There are SO many nice M names. I wish we could use them. With our last name, alliteration will make the child sound like a cartoon character. {{Sigh}}

post #51 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDivineMrsM View Post

 There are SO many nice M names. I wish we could use them. With our last name, alliteration will make the child sound like a cartoon character. {{Sigh}}

Ha!  I'm right there with P names.  

post #52 of 117

I have really struggled with names because I want something that isn't common, but isn't totally bizarre either. After being very uninspired, we got a couple of baby name books from the library. Although we didn't pick any particular names from the book, it inspired some further thinking on names...

 

Girls: Elise London and Sadie Quinn are my top picks so far and my hubby likes Kylie (he doesn't care about the middle name, lol)

 

Boys: We both really like Levi (I had to get over my hang up about DH's cousin having the exact same name, last name too!). He likes Noah and Judah and I like Bear as well. I feel like I am having a trickier time picking a boys name since we both agreed it would be Biblical because both our older boys have Biblical names. I am just not digging any boy names from the Bible though other than Levi...

post #53 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekcez View Post

 

I've been poring over nameberry.com for girl names

Uh-oh. I had never heard of this site and now I'm hooked. You've created a monster :)

post #54 of 117

This is the site I've used before...

 

http://www.nymbler.com/

 

It's so addictive, you're right.  We're starting from scratch since we have used the 6 boy names we lived on our 3 sons and can't imagine we're having a girl.

It's going to be tough to find 2 more names....oy.

post #55 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by oikophile View Post

Uh-oh. I had never heard of this site and now I'm hooked. You've created a monster :)

I know, right?  I love the blog.  I'll have to check out nymbler, too.
post #56 of 117

We have about 15 names now brainstormed... Have to figure out a way to narrow it down! I don't mind having 2-3 options and waiting for birth to actually choose, but it's too many right now and I want some combos with middle names. How have you narrowed down lists? I'm thinking of having each of us rate the names with a score of 1-10 on how much we love it, and then adding the scores to see which ones score highest :P

 

thanks for the nymbler link :P that helped us add a few!

 

We also want different but not crazy unusual names. There's two that are on the top 20-30 names, that probably won't get picked just for that reason - one that came to me is on the top 10, I'm a little sad as it's similar to my husband's name (for a boy he originally wanted to name him after himself, a jr/II. I'm not crazy about that idea, I'd rather have him have his own identity and not have to ask the question a million times in my life "NameDad or NameSon?"  :P He's not that set on it after I explained my view.)

 

The only one that's REALLY out there and unique doesn't sound that crazy to us - what do you all think of Taran? Does it sound like a girls name? There's conflicting info on the meaning because it's not very common :P

 

The meaning of the name Taran is Thunder

The origin of the name Taran is Welsh

Notes: Also a Persian name meaning "white rose" or "field"

 

Meaning: Its source is a Gaelic expression meaning "Hill."

Narrative: Its Hindi form is derived from a Sanskrit expression meaning ''Star.'' Its European usage derives from a Gaelic place name meaning ''hill.''

 

 

Anyway - we have so many to choose from now... which is better than we were originally, we had lots of ideas for girls and almost none for boys! :D
 

post #57 of 117

Taran is nice! Unusual, have a good sound to it, and looks nice typed. I wonder if people would think it was Karen though? T and K sound similar....

 

AFM- DH noted he'd like to avoid any name ending in the "en" sound since we already have Caden that ends in "en". Then I realized I needed to take a couple names off the list that end in "is" since our last name ends "is".

 

New list: Aidric, Everett, Finley, Emmett, Tobin. 

 

Dang, boy names are HARD. 

post #58 of 117

Ha I have 3 of those (or versions of them) on my list! Tobin is a good one too! (may have to add that to ours!)

 

I'm really not planning on sharing our list with people we know, mostly because I don't want feedback that we don't like (I don't want someone to hate a name before they even meet him :P) but since we're all brainstorming here - and it won't matter if anyone picks the same names (yes, i have multiple friends all due with boys this summer/fall! argh!! anxious to hear a few of their choices so we don't duplicate!) here's our list in progress. some may be middle name contenders and some may have alternate spellings/versions considered that aren't listed...

 

Moss
Emmett
Benjamin
Beckett
Wade
Wren
Bastian
Griffin
Kieran
Taran
Kaden
Kiernan
Everett
Tristan
Quinn
Orion
Sebastian
Ethan
Tristin  
Finn  
Owen

post #59 of 117

The only one that's REALLY out there and unique doesn't sound that crazy to us - what do you all think of Taran? Does it sound like a girls name? There's conflicting info on the meaning because it's not very common :P

Taran is the (male) protagonist in the Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander. One of my partner's favorite series growing up. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taran (character)

In the movie of one of the books, it's pronounced so that the first syllable is like the word "tar", not "tare". But I also know a woman named Taryn whose name rhymes with Karen.


Edited by oikophile - 7/3/12 at 3:56pm
post #60 of 117

I know a woman named Taryn, too. It's pretty!

Mothering › Groups › November 2012 Due Date Club › Discussions › The Name Game...