My almost 7yo DS and I have a routine of reading before bed each night. We are out of books now, and need some suggestions from all you wise mamas! I think our main trouble is that he is not the typical boy that it seems these books are written for, having been AP'd from the beginning. I can't seem to find anything age appropriate; it's very babyish books, or very scary/inappropriate books. He loves Magic School Bus, but I think we've read them all now. He's ok with Magic Treehouse, but I think they are terribly written. I'm not interested in introducing him to ninjas, monsters, zombies, war, weapons, etc. He's not into that stuff anyway, as he has an active imagination and we read before bed. He's really into fishing, firefighting, gardening, hiking/camping, space exploration, and animals. And he's ok with books with some danger involved, just not nightmare scary. Surely there are good books/series out there for him. What are some of your favorites? Thanks so much!!!
Related Forum Threads
- How do you respond to 'Why do they have more than us'? Last post on Yesterday at 2:53 pm in The Childhood Years
- personality change in 6 yo - a normal developmental thing? Last post on 5/24/13 at 6:08pm in The Childhood Years
- DS is different Last post on 5/24/13 at 10:17am in The Childhood Years
- 4 1/2 year old staying in bed Last post on 5/23/13 at 8:53pm in Bed and Nighttime Parenting
- "A Nation of Wimps" Last post on Yesterday at 11:23 pm in Gentle Discipline
Looking for the Helpers
Edited on 4/17/13
- Another Hilarious Mom Moment (Warning- Poop)Edited on 3/18/13
- How volunteers are helping to reduce child malnutrition in southern...Edited on 12/27/12
- Dressing the Kids for Dads and Grads events...Edited on 3/20/13
- Puppet Show, with videoEdited on 3/20/13
Need book recommendations for almost 7yo DSpost #2 of 75/3/12 at 4:07pm
It's hard to know what would be too scary for your DS, but what about:
--Mr Popper's Penguins
-- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (and other Dahl)
-- DragonRider (Cornelia Funke)
If you think non-fiction might appeal, check out the Childhood of Famous Americans series. DS has really enjoyed a lot of them.
I totally agree, reading MT out loud is PAINFUL.
Quote:I think our main trouble is that he is not the typical boy that it seems these books are written for, having been AP'd from the beginning.
Please be gentle with your generalizations -- I have an 8 y.o. who was also AP'd "from the beginning" and somehow is still very much into ninjas, superheros, Star Wars, wizards, and things you would probably characterize as "typical boy."
-epost #3 of 75/3/12 at 4:22pm
We like Freddy the Pig by Walter R. Brooks, which is about a group of talking farm animals who take trips and solve mysteries and such. It is an older series, some written during WW2(?) so there is mention of war themes like collecting metal and such, but no battlefield type stuff.post #4 of 75/3/12 at 4:46pm
The previous suggestions are all good.
I recommend anything by Astrid Lindgren. The Pippi Longstocking and Noisy Village books are very mild and should be appropriate for any kid. The Emil books are funny and nothing scary happens, but Emil's parents aren't into gentle discipline. Ronia the Robber's Daughter, Mio My Son, and The Brothers Lionheart have some scary/possibly disturbing parts and might not be okay for every 7 year old (but they would be just fine for many 7 year olds.)
The Little House books might be a good choice, especially Farmer Boy, since it's about a boy.
We love Tove Jansson's Moomin books.
Some other possibilities:
No Flying in the House - Betty Brock
Betsy-Tacy (and sequels) - Maud Hart Lovelace
Happy Little Family - Rebecca Caudill
All-Of-A-Kind Family (and sequels) - Sydney Taylor
Toys Go Out - Emily Jenkins
anything by Beverly Cleary
Alice in Wonderland
The Secret Garden
A Little Princess
Understood Betsy - Dorothy Canfield
Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH - Robert C. O'Brien
Half Magic (and other books by Edward Eager)
The Animal Family - Randall Jarrell
The Green Book - Jill Paton Walsh
Ginger Pye (and other books by Eleanor Estes)
The Borrowers (and sequels) - Mary Norton
Nim's Island - Wendy Orr
George's Secret Key to the Universe - Stephen and Lucy Hawking
Where the Mountain Meets the Moon - Grace Lin
Many of those are about girls, but hopefully he doesn't mind books with girls as the main characters.post #5 of 75/3/12 at 6:53pmpost #6 of 75/3/12 at 9:53pm
I'd forgotten about that one, Daffodil! George's Secret Key to the Universe - Stephen and Lucy Hawking- was one of the first novels my son liked! The perfect novel for a kid who loves space and science.
Also, what about James and the Giant Peach, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory etc.
My son enjoyed the Ramona books by Beverly Cleary when he was about that age,
Look at Farley Mowat, maybe, if he is outdoorsy.
We also liked Lynne Reid Banks-- all her books, but especially Harry the Poisonous Centipede.
I would go peek at my son's bookshelves for more ideas, but he's just going to sleep ;)
- Need book recommendations for almost 7yo DS
- Another Hilarious Mom Moment (Warning- Poop)
- › May the road rise up to meet you, Dingoes everywhere! 4 minutes ago
- › Starting solids 22 minutes ago
- › Spokane midwife 48 minutes ago
- › How are you feeling? 56 minutes ago
- › How to get your child to break away without breaking his/her heart? 1 hour, 2 minutes ago
- › 10-15 Minute Cleaning Sessions (New Thread) 1 hour, 5 minutes ago
- › Trilingual - questions about how and choosing the third language 1 hour, 9 minutes ago
- › Our third baby - accidental UC! 1 hour, 11 minutes ago
- › How to cover the "basics" 1 hour, 21 minutes ago
- › am i preg? 1 hour, 22 minutes ago
- › Skip Hop Treetop Friends Activity Gym by Otepbunni
- › Medela Pump in Style Advanced Breast Pump with Shoulder Bag by matope
- › Philips AVENT ISIS Manual Breast Pump, White by matope
- › Bebe Au Lait Nursing Cover by matope
- › Lansinoh Lanolin for Breastfeeding Mothers 2 oz (56 g) by matope
- › Philips AVENT Washable Nursing Pads, 6 Count by matope
- › NUK Ultra Thin Nursing Pads, 60 Pack by matope
- › TRADITIONAL MEDICINALS TEAS Mother's Milk Tea 16 bags by matope
- › Leachco Snoogle Total Body Pillow by matope
- › Boppy Nursing Pillow with Slipcover by matope
- › Pause for Presence: A Personal Reflection by Marcy Axness
- › Ina May Gaskin Reviews Groundbreaking Book,... by Melanie Mayo
- › Why We Homeschool by Melanie Mayo
- › A Mama's Peace by AmandaK
- › 7 Simple Recipes to Bless a New Mom by Melanie Mayo
- › Closing Up Shop: Life After Vasectomy by Melanie Mayo
- › My Heart Growing Fonder by Melanie Mayo
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by Melanie Mayo
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo