What are your thoughts on taking a fish oil supplement during pregnancy? I usually love fish, but haven't been able to take the smell. I'm 10 weeks pg, if that makes a difference.
- topicPregnancytagged by System, 5/3/12
Related Forum Threads
- 2014 Book Challenge Thread Last post on 4/15/14 at 3:57pm in Books, Music, and Media
- How is labor/birth when you are older? Last post on 10/5/13 at 10:20pm in I'm Pregnant
- Prenatals? Last post on 11/8/13 at 5:42pm in May 2014 Due Date Club
- HELP! How do I prevent gaining more weight during pregnancy? Last post on 10/5/13 at 10:32pm in I'm Pregnant
Interview with a Midwife: Diet, Supplements, and Pregnancy
Last edited: 11/25/13
- Breech Birth: Why Can't Women Have it Their Way?Last edited: 10/30/13
- Remembering Pregnancy LossLast edited: 10/14/13
- Kids in the House: the New Video Resource for FamiliesLast edited: 9/26/13
- Loving Your Postpartum BodyLast edited: 9/17/13
Fish oil?post #1 of 75/3/12 at 3:50pmThread Starterpost #2 of 75/3/12 at 4:14pm
I took fish oil supplements all throughout this pregnancy (I'm at 26 weeks). Some prenatals like the gummies have DHA in them, but I really like taking extra fish oil. It's super important for baby's brain development (as well as lots of other things). Just make sure you get it from a reputable brand that does third party testing so you're not getting a dose of mercury at the same time.post #3 of 75/3/12 at 4:16pm
My prenatals have it in them. Nutrition Now Gummies from Whole Foods. Babies R Us has the exact same one under a different brand name. No fishy smell at all. I have also used some Nordic Naturals oil and it was fine going down but it got spilled and took several washes to get the smell out, which was pretty nasty.post #4 of 75/4/12 at 1:29pm
Fish oil is great for your fetus. I am not one to take supplements unless they have some proven benefit, and fish oil does. Personally, I don't like much fish, and with the restrictions on which fish you should eat during pregnancy due to mercury content (as well as general environmental concerns about how the fish are caught), it can be hard to get enough of the ones high in omega-3s.
I have been taking these for a while: http://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-mega-efa-omega-3-epa-dha-fish-oil-2-126-mg-per-serving-240-softgels I did some research at the time I ordered them, and they seemed like a good value. I think the thing that sold me on them was that I read that you want a supplement with lots of EPA, not just DHA. I am by no means an expert, but I know not all fish oils are created equal. I found this article when researching what to look for: http://health.usnews.com/health-news/diet-fitness/articles/2009/04/08/fish-oil-supplements-epa-dha-and-ala-does-your-omega-3-source-matter
You want to make sure you buy a reputable brand that does not contain mercury or other toxins.
I am thinking of trying these this time: http://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-norwegian-salmon-oil-100-wild-caught I have also read that you want to make sure the oil comes from all wild-caught fish, as the crap they feed farmed fish can ruin the nutritional value.
By the way, I have read that if your pills seem too fishy, they are probably rancid. You might want to store them in your fridge. The ones I have been taking have an artificial strawberry flavor that I do not love, but at least I never get burps that smell like fish. Taking them with food covers up any unpleasant flavor.
post #5 of 75/4/12 at 5:43pm
I started a thread on this, too, plus vitamin D3.
I'm starting to take these: http://www.nordicnaturals.com/en/Products/Product_Details/514/?ProdID=1646 I've heard a lot of good stuff about Nordic Naturals and have used them with my kids before, too. I think Nordic is what both naturopaths that I've had have recommended as well.
If you didn't see my thread, scroll down a little and check it out - I have a link to a brief article about the benefits of dha.post #6 of 75/5/12 at 12:29pmpost #7 of 75/7/12 at 7:28pmI took fish oil when pg withdd and am again this time. As someone already me toned, it's great for brain development (DD's very smart...could be a coincidence, but I don't think the fish oil hurt). Fish oil is also very good for the skin, and I credit it with being the reason that I didn't get any stretch marks...that was certainly not genetics, and I do have some from weight gain when I was younger and not eating as well.
- Breech Birth: Why Can't Women Have it Their Way?
- › Fitted Kitchens Liverpool 15 minutes ago
- › CDC Seeking Comments - Surgical Site infections. Deadline 8 May 2014. 20 minutes ago
- › Our baby girl is here! 32 minutes ago
- › Barefoot Running 1 hour ago
- › Unassisted birth and legal concerns 1 hour, 4 minutes ago
- › Am I crazy for not wanting to put my kid in the gifted program? 1 hour, 7 minutes ago
- › The Fertility Challenged One Thread - Spring 2014 1 hour, 7 minutes ago
- › Stupid vent. Shower planning. I shouldn't care... 1 hour, 8 minutes ago
- › Is Fels Naptha natural? 1 hour, 9 minutes ago
- › St.John's Trash to treasure Swap 2014 1 hour, 11 minutes ago
- › Epibi Nursing Pads by SparkleMaman
- › By Marie Winn - The Plug-In Drug: Television, Computers, and Family... by Catholic Mama
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › WellFuture WellBelly April 2014 Giveaway by JenniO11
- › 30 Hilarious and Inspiring Parenting Quotes... by Melanie Mayo
- › Should We Stop Acting Like Breastfeeding is a... by Sarah Clark
- › Got Trust? The Antidote for Insecurity &... by Marcy Axness
- › Finding My Tribe After the Death of My Daughter by Melanie Mayo
- › Ten Tips for Surviving Two Under Two by Melanie Mayo
- › The Worry and Wonderment of Parenting by Melanie Mayo
- › 5 Surprising Benefits to Making a Pet a Part... by Melanie Mayo
- › Mining Joy from the Muck of Daily Mothering by Marcy Axness
- › Interview with Blair Lee, author by SavvyHomeschool