or Connect
Mothering › Groups › May 2012 Birth Club › Discussions › anyone else find cervical checks pointless?

anyone else find cervical checks pointless?

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 

so far i have refused them at my prenatal visits. whatever you may be dilated to means nothing as to when you may go into labor. i also dont want to be checked when i am in labor because knowing what number i am at can cause stress also. i was at 4 with my last baby and was contemplating an epidural as i thought oh wow i have hours to go. i had him an hour later. this proceedure happens to be my pet peeve this pregnancy. it irks me to see others comment on their dilations too. i want to shout it means nothing! dont set yourself up for disapointment!

post #2 of 17

I don't see the point either. My midwife offered and I declined. I asked if there was anything they were looking for other than dilation and she said "not really, some people just like to know." 

 

If I go really late I may have them check, I know at 41 weeks I have the option to induce and by 42 it's pretty much mandatory. Honestly though, I think if I have another 3 weeks of pregnancy I'll be hooking the pit drip up myself - and induction is LAST on the list of things I want to go through.

post #3 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KM84 View Post

I don't see the point either. My midwife offered and I declined. I asked if there was anything they were looking for other than dilation and she said "not really, some people just like to know." 

 

 

this is what my midwife said too! and that it really provides no info. i asked her why would someone want to know than if it provides no info. she said it is psychological.

post #4 of 17

agreed - to me, it's meaningless. my dr offered to examine me this week but she said, it's not really necessary for any reason - and I declined. With DS, my MW examined me at 39+ weeks and NOTHING, literally, NOTHING was happening, but DS was born just a few days later and I was 8 cm dilated when I got to the hospital - so it can happen fast. 

At this point, when I'm waiting and checking every toilet paper wipe for "bloody show" or whatever, I think knowing how dilated/not dilated I am would drive me insane.... So I agree!

post #5 of 17

I skip them, too.  I agree they can set you up for an expectation, that doesn't really mean anything. I will have to have one when admitted to the hospital, but otherwise I don't care for them at all... I've gone from 4 to 10 in 30-60 minutes, so what good is thinking ah, 4 is less then 1/2 way there! 

 

When really it isn't linear....
 

post #6 of 17

Agree.

 

I have had zero. zilch. nada. nothing. going on in all of pregnancies until labor starts.  In fact, it's the only way I can tell the difference between false labor and the real deal...I have to wait to see if my cervix changes.  And then, when it does, it's fast.  So, no, it really means nothing.

post #7 of 17

I haven't had any this pregnancy, but I think for my first I had them quite a few times during labor. I like to know out of curiosity but really, its all psychological.

post #8 of 17

I decline them.  Which the doctors seem to think is strange, but the MWs don't care.  With DS I had 2 over 5 days of labor (and 52 hours of broken membranes).  I think the first one I was at 6, and the second one was when my MW thought I had hit transition because I was asking for a c/s.  redface.gif  She was right, and he was born less than 90 minutes later. 

post #9 of 17

I don't mind one or 2 during labor (mostly just because I'm a number girl and like to have lots of stats when I write my birth story ;) but the prenatal ones seem quite pointless.  My midwife doesn't even offer anyway.  But even if I were seeing an OB I'd decline.

post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rozziemama View Post

 

At this point, when I'm waiting and checking every toilet paper wipe for "bloody show" or whatever, I think knowing how dilated/not dilated I am would drive me insane.... So I agree!

Totally agree!!!

post #11 of 17

My midwives have never even mentioned it.  Aside from a page in the binder I got from them (on how to DIY).  I've been checking my own lately, just because I'm curious if all these contractions are doing anything.  I have no clue what's going on in there though.  It feels super soft, but beyond that I can't tell anything.  I'm assuming once it gets to a certain point it'll be more obvious.

post #12 of 17

My midwives don't care. It was mentioned last time as an "if you want, we can, but I'm sure you knwo it means nothing."

 

With my pregnancy with my son, I had a doctor instead of a midwife. When I refused a cervical check at 34 weeks (he wanted to do them every visit starting then!) he told me that if I couldn't come back prepared to let him do whatever he wanted to do without question, then I shouldn't come back. So I didn't.

post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astraia View Post
With my pregnancy with my son, I had a doctor instead of a midwife. When I refused a cervical check at 34 weeks (he wanted to do them every visit starting then!) he told me that if I couldn't come back prepared to let him do whatever he wanted to do without question, then I shouldn't come back. So I didn't.

 

bigeyes.gif

 

Good for you!  Holy crap, that entire attitude just gives me shivers. 

post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post

 

bigeyes.gif

 

Good for you!  Holy crap, that entire attitude just gives me shivers. 


totally creepy!

post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astraia View Post

My midwives don't care. It was mentioned last time as an "if you want, we can, but I'm sure you knwo it means nothing."

 

With my pregnancy with my son, I had a doctor instead of a midwife. When I refused a cervical check at 34 weeks (he wanted to do them every visit starting then!) he told me that if I couldn't come back prepared to let him do whatever he wanted to do without question, then I shouldn't come back. So I didn't.

 

 

Wow! o_O That's just not right!

post #16 of 17
Wow, I honestly didn't realize drs like that really exist. Good for you for dumping him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astraia View Post

My midwives don't care. It was mentioned last time as an "if you want, we can, but I'm sure you knwo it means nothing."

With my pregnancy with my son, I had a doctor instead of a midwife. When I refused a cervical check at 34 weeks (he wanted to do them every visit starting then!) he told me that if I couldn't come back prepared to let him do whatever he wanted to do without question, then I shouldn't come back. So I didn't.
post #17 of 17

I don't get them. This is my third pregnancy, and I had one at week 38 in my first pregnancy, at which time I was told I was 0cm dilated, 0% effaced, and the baby's head was not engaged at all, so I shouldn't expect labor for a couple weeks. My daughter was born 24 hours later, naturally. While I was in labor, they kept telling me I had so many hours to go. They checked me an I was at 4 and she was born an hour after that. I just find them completely pointless, unless mom has been in labor for a long time and they really need to know if something is happening or not.

  Return Home
  Back to Forum: May 2012 Birth Club
Mothering › Groups › May 2012 Birth Club › Discussions › anyone else find cervical checks pointless?