What happens to unvaxed children when they go to college? Do they then have to go through a huge round of shots?
Related Forum Threads
- Argument by Intimidation Last post on Today at 12:04 pm in I'm Not Vaccinating
- Tetanis help - pic Last post on Today at 1:07 pm in I'm Not Vaccinating
- Alaska public schools and vaccines Last post on Yesterday at 3:55 am in I'm Not Vaccinating
- Anyone in NC? Need playpals for my 6-mo-old :) Last post on 5/17/13 at 11:30am in I'm Not Vaccinating
- Pediatricians now ask you to sign "release of protected health information to schools"... Last post on Yesterday at 12:33 pm in I'm Not Vaccinating
Vaccinations: Why All the Fuss?
Edited on 2/24/13
- Resources for Non-vaccinating FamiliesEdited on 1/18/13
- Frontline's War on Selectively Vaccinating ParentsEdited on 3/14/13
- In Britain 12-Year-Olds Vaccinated Without Parental ConsentEdited on 3/8/13
- The Right to RefuseEdited on 3/20/13
What happens to unvaxed children when they go to college?post #1 of 155/11/12 at 5:32amThread Starterpost #2 of 155/11/12 at 10:27ampost #3 of 155/11/12 at 10:50am
I was never even asked for vaccine papers when I went to college (enrolled 2003-2009) I was only fully vaxxed up to age 8 though they didn't require as many back then, but the school never needed proof. The same exemption forms and letters that work for gradeschool should work in lieu of vax records for college too, if they do collect them.post #4 of 155/11/12 at 11:23amQuote:Originally Posted by JamieCatheryn
I was never even asked for vaccine papers when I went to college (enrolled 2003-2009) I was only fully vaxxed up to age 8 though they didn't require as many back then, but the school never needed proof. The same exemption forms and letters that work for gradeschool should work in lieu of vax records for college too, if they do collect them.
Yeah, me too. I graduated in 2007, but was never required to submit any vax record. I'm fully up-to-date on everything, but just wasn't asked for the information.post #5 of 155/11/12 at 12:48pmpost #6 of 155/11/12 at 6:54pmpost #7 of 155/11/12 at 10:22pmThread Starter
Original poster here. We have a religious exemption. My kids are 3 and 6. I just got the exemption from the health dept this week b/c my daughter is going to be in preschool 2 days a week. My 6 year old is homeschooled. The health department told me it is only good until they turn 18 and then after that they have to get shots for college, etc. That is why I was wondering about college and shot status in the future. I don't recall my college that I attended in 2000-2004 needing my vax info come to think of it.post #8 of 155/11/12 at 11:14pm
I was recently enrolled in community college and only needed vax proof because I was doing clinical hours in a hospital and needed immunity for MMR. They just had me get my titers checked.post #9 of 155/12/12 at 4:46amQuote:
Having just graduated from nursing school last year, I can tell you that in the health profession they do require proof of immunity for a variety of things before you are allowed to step foot in a hospital. It may vary with different institutions. I had one classmate who had not vaxed and didn't vax her kids. She was found not to be immune to a couple of things and had to get the vaccines before she was allowed to continue with her schooling. They also require it of hospital employees with direct contact to patients (which is pretty much 99% of the employees). Where I work we have a lot of immune compromised kiddos who need to have that "herd immunity" protecting them when they are inpatient.post #10 of 155/12/12 at 6:39ampost #11 of 155/23/12 at 8:27amQuote:Originally Posted by AbbyGrant
It probably depends on the state and the school. I went to a public university in NC and had to provide immunization records. I just checked, and students still do or they will be withdrawn from classes after 30 days. As with public K-12 schools in this state, the only exemptions are medical and religious. I think the policy is the same at the other public universities in this state.
I think that this might be true, although my situation was a little different. I moved to the US for graduate school and had to provide vaccination records (I was fully vaxxed...its required for school attendance). The date for my MMR vaccination wasn't recorded and I had to get it again in order to obtain my student visa/admission. I believe the reverse is also true (i.e. to attend school in Canada as an international student you are required to be vaccinated. I don't think there are exemptions, but I'm not 100%).
post #12 of 155/25/12 at 2:43am
I think it may be the visa rules? I also moved to the US for graduate school, and from recollection it was for the visa I needed to prove my immunization status, not the university. But that was 12 years ago so I may be misremembering.post #13 of 155/25/12 at 3:54ampost #14 of 155/25/12 at 5:02ampost #15 of 155/25/12 at 8:02amQuote:
That might be true...I don't have a clear recollection either (its been 15 years for me). I thought I had to submit that info to the Office of International Students, but they may have just needed alll the docs associated with my visa.
- What happens to unvaxed children when they go to college?
- Resources for Non-vaccinating Families
- › ~~~~2013 Low Income Support Thread~~~~ 2 seconds ago
- › ~*~October ddc Belly Thread~*~ 2 minutes ago
- › Thrift Score! 3 minutes ago
- › Reading while sitting on the toilet 8 minutes ago
- › Tetanis help - pic 9 minutes ago
- › fear of never having another baby? 12 minutes ago
- › Anyone Else Feeling Movement? 14 minutes ago
- › Potty training FAIL 17 minutes ago
- › Items in hospital bag...is this too much? 19 minutes ago
- › What would you do if you saw kids left in a car? 21 minutes ago
- › Trillium Organics OGmama Belly Butter by trilliumama
- › Gaiam Wrap Waist Yoga Pants by Melanie Mayo
- › Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by dayiscoming2006
- › Charlie Banana Reusable Feminine Pads Liner Butterfly, Butterfly by Chapsie
- › Earth Mama-Angel Baby Earth Mama Bottom Balm, 2 fl oz (60 ml) by Chapsie
- › Econobum Individual by Chapsie
- › EnJoye LBI Deluxe Tote Set - Brown by JennaRose
- › Lusa Organics Booty Balm by emkassu
- › I Took the Moon for a Walk by Melanie Mayo
- › BabyKicks Premium Pocket Diaper by KirstenP
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Melanie Mayo
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf
- › Managing Mom Stress: Sharing Tips and Trying... by Melanie Mayo
- › Who Wants to Sleep Alone? by Cynthia Mosher
- › Should I Train My Child....Like a Dog?! by Sarah Clark
- › Mothering Articles by Melanie Mayo
- › Terms and Conditions - Sustainability Oak... by JenniO11
- › Terms and Conditions - Mothering... by JenniO11