I have a 4 month old baby girl who will be 7 months old when we travel to Bulgaria. I was going to delay vaccines until who knows when, but thought that international travel could be dangerous if she is unvaccinated. So, we went ahead and got the first DTaP vaccine. I don't know what else to do. Has anyone researched international travel and what the most important vaccines would be to get? Everything I search for online says to of course do all vaccinations on schedule, but I just want to do perhaps the most important ones. I'm not worried about Bulgaria because we'll be with family, but more thinking about the airport and not knowing who we will run into or sit next to on the plane. What do you all think? I am not anti-vax but just was planning to delay vaccinations until she was older.
Related Forum Threads
- I feel like I am the only one in the world that choses not to vaccinate :( Last post on Yesterday at 9:25 pm in I'm Not Vaccinating
- Anti-vax/delayed vax friendly dr near Schenectady NY Last post on 5/23/13 at 1:01pm in I'm Not Vaccinating
- 4 mo old has cough... Can't get pertussis off my mind! Last post on Yesterday at 12:14 pm in I'm Not Vaccinating
- do i need an exemption if homeschooling? Last post on 5/23/13 at 9:08am in I'm Not Vaccinating
- DH has shingles.... how to prepare for chicken pox? Last post on 5/22/13 at 11:04am in I'm Not Vaccinating
Vaccinations: Why All the Fuss?
Edited on 2/24/13
- Resources for Non-vaccinating FamiliesEdited on 1/18/13
- Frontline's War on Selectively Vaccinating ParentsEdited on 3/14/13
- In Britain 12-Year-Olds Vaccinated Without Parental ConsentEdited on 3/8/13
- The Right to RefuseEdited on 3/20/13
Was Going to Delay Vax, but Now Traveling to Bulgariapost #2 of 45/12/12 at 12:38pm
She will be too young still for MMR, chicken pox, meningococcal and Hep A.
She is too old now to do rota.
You could still do Hep B (but that wouldn't really concern me at this age), hib, pc, polio... Most people who are breastfeeding are not too concerned about hib and pc... I doubt there is any polio in Bulgaria, although maybe they use Oral polio there? I would not be concerned about polio vax just for that trip.
Flu vax is something I would never consider, but I think they do give to kids over 6 months?
Personally, I think you got/are getting the "most" important one.
I flew internationally, 9+ hour flights for four trips before DD was two. One time we did get a little girl behind us coughing the whole trip, DD did get a runny nose for a few days after, but luckily it didn't develop into what she had. I usually just kept her in my lap the whole time and bfing most of the time (although that was mostly so she wouldn't cry and because she was a big night nurser and we took overnight flights). No other issues other than that one time.post #3 of 45/12/12 at 1:48pmThread Starter
Thanks for your thoughts! If I continue to follow the delayed schedule I was looking at, the next 2 shots would be Pc and Hib. Isn't it true that the first shot in the series is the most "effective"? If I decide to go ahead with Pc and Hib (I haven't decided yet), would it make sense for us to only get the first shot of each of them since that's the most effective shot and wait until later for the rest, or if we're getting those vaccines do I really need to do most of the series? I just want to get the least amount of shots but still not leave her vulnerable, since we will not be in our own safe community. I do exclusively breastfeed and she doesn't go to daycare or anything, so I wouldn't be getting any right now if we weren't traveling to the other side of the world :)
slmommy, was your 2 year old DD unvaxed for those trips?post #4 of 45/12/12 at 4:01pm
My DD was sel. vaxed for first 6 months... but first trip was 4-5 months during Sept, so then she had had bcg (live outside US and is on schedule here), 2 hep Bs and 2 pentacels (dtap, ip, hib). That wasn't the time she got sick... she got sick on another trip at 11 months during March, but it just turned into runny nose, which wasn't fun for sleeping, but no real problem!
Not really sure about efficacy after the first shot... might have to research that...
- Was Going to Delay Vax, but Now Traveling to Bulgaria
- Resources for Non-vaccinating Families
- › Food Cravings 1 minute ago
- › ~Weekly Chat Thread for May 24th-May 31st~ 18 minutes ago
- › My Gums are Receeding...HELP!!! 19 minutes ago
- › *~ Crafting for Baby~* 26 minutes ago
- › How are you feeling? 32 minutes ago
- › Baby names....anyone brainstorming? 35 minutes ago
- › How to get your child to break away without breaking his/her heart? 44 minutes ago
- › May TWW Thread 56 minutes ago
- › A Saner TTC-The Pink Moon 1 hour, 1 minute ago
- › Please? No. Please? No. PLEASE? No. PLEEEEAAAAASE? ... 1 hour, 20 minutes ago
- › Medela Pump in Style Advanced Breast Pump with Shoulder Bag by matope
- › Philips AVENT ISIS Manual Breast Pump, White by matope
- › Bebe Au Lait Nursing Cover by matope
- › Lansinoh Lanolin for Breastfeeding Mothers 2 oz (56 g) by matope
- › Philips AVENT Washable Nursing Pads, 6 Count by matope
- › NUK Ultra Thin Nursing Pads, 60 Pack by matope
- › TRADITIONAL MEDICINALS TEAS Mother's Milk Tea 16 bags by matope
- › Leachco Snoogle Total Body Pillow by matope
- › Boppy Nursing Pillow with Slipcover by matope
- › Glamourmom Nursing Bra Tank by matope
- › Pause for Presence: A Personal Reflection by Marcy Axness
- › Ina May Gaskin Reviews Groundbreaking Book,... by Melanie Mayo
- › Why We Homeschool by Melanie Mayo
- › A Mama's Peace by AmandaK
- › 7 Simple Recipes to Bless a New Mom by Melanie Mayo
- › Closing Up Shop: Life After Vasectomy by Melanie Mayo
- › My Heart Growing Fonder by Melanie Mayo
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by Melanie Mayo
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo