I have a 4 month old baby girl who will be 7 months old when we travel to Bulgaria. I was going to delay vaccines until who knows when, but thought that international travel could be dangerous if she is unvaccinated. So, we went ahead and got the first DTaP vaccine. I don't know what else to do. Has anyone researched international travel and what the most important vaccines would be to get? Everything I search for online says to of course do all vaccinations on schedule, but I just want to do perhaps the most important ones. I'm not worried about Bulgaria because we'll be with family, but more thinking about the airport and not knowing who we will run into or sit next to on the plane. What do you all think? I am not anti-vax but just was planning to delay vaccinations until she was older.
- topicVaccinationstagged by System, 5/12/12
Related Forum Threads
- A venerable who's who of vaccine skepticism….. Last post on Yesterday at 7:55 pm in I'm Not Vaccinating
- Texas exemption? Last post on Yesterday at 6:46 pm in I'm Not Vaccinating
- 1983 to Present Day Vaccine Schedule....um, why aren't we regularly titering humans yet????? Last post on Yesterday at 8:34 pm in I'm Not Vaccinating
- Thanks, Pharma. You created the “anti-vaccine movement” Last post on Yesterday at 7:36 pm in I'm Not Vaccinating
- this is the worst news article so far. What do you think? Last post on Yesterday at 7:07 am in I'm Not Vaccinating
My Vaccine Info
Last edited: 3/4/13
- Vaccinations: Why All the Fuss?Last edited: 12/26/13
- Resources for Non-vaccinating FamiliesLast edited: 1/18/13
- Frontline's War on Selectively Vaccinating ParentsLast edited: 3/14/13
- In Britain 12-Year-Olds Vaccinated Without Parental ConsentLast edited: 3/8/13
Was Going to Delay Vax, but Now Traveling to Bulgariapost #1 of 45/12/12 at 7:46amThread Starterpost #2 of 45/12/12 at 12:38pm
She will be too young still for MMR, chicken pox, meningococcal and Hep A.
She is too old now to do rota.
You could still do Hep B (but that wouldn't really concern me at this age), hib, pc, polio... Most people who are breastfeeding are not too concerned about hib and pc... I doubt there is any polio in Bulgaria, although maybe they use Oral polio there? I would not be concerned about polio vax just for that trip.
Flu vax is something I would never consider, but I think they do give to kids over 6 months?
Personally, I think you got/are getting the "most" important one.
I flew internationally, 9+ hour flights for four trips before DD was two. One time we did get a little girl behind us coughing the whole trip, DD did get a runny nose for a few days after, but luckily it didn't develop into what she had. I usually just kept her in my lap the whole time and bfing most of the time (although that was mostly so she wouldn't cry and because she was a big night nurser and we took overnight flights). No other issues other than that one time.post #3 of 45/12/12 at 1:48pmThread Starter
Thanks for your thoughts! If I continue to follow the delayed schedule I was looking at, the next 2 shots would be Pc and Hib. Isn't it true that the first shot in the series is the most "effective"? If I decide to go ahead with Pc and Hib (I haven't decided yet), would it make sense for us to only get the first shot of each of them since that's the most effective shot and wait until later for the rest, or if we're getting those vaccines do I really need to do most of the series? I just want to get the least amount of shots but still not leave her vulnerable, since we will not be in our own safe community. I do exclusively breastfeed and she doesn't go to daycare or anything, so I wouldn't be getting any right now if we weren't traveling to the other side of the world :)
slmommy, was your 2 year old DD unvaxed for those trips?post #4 of 45/12/12 at 4:01pm
My DD was sel. vaxed for first 6 months... but first trip was 4-5 months during Sept, so then she had had bcg (live outside US and is on schedule here), 2 hep Bs and 2 pentacels (dtap, ip, hib). That wasn't the time she got sick... she got sick on another trip at 11 months during March, but it just turned into runny nose, which wasn't fun for sleeping, but no real problem!
Not really sure about efficacy after the first shot... might have to research that...
- Vaccinations: Why All the Fuss?
- › Has anyone had revision surgery on a perineal tear? 11 minutes ago
- › DH makes weird statements about food when I try to discuss our food... 13 minutes ago
- › Midwives in CT (again...) 22 minutes ago
- › ~*~ The TTC ONE Thread~*~ March 2014 45 minutes ago
- › What healthy meals have you eaten today? 48 minutes ago
- › Third Trimester! 56 minutes ago
- › organizing before baby comes... 1 hour, 4 minutes ago
- › I want to rebuild my cloth diaper stash from the ground up with... 1 hour, 10 minutes ago
- › 16 weeks pregnant and thinking of getting a young dog. Am I crazy? 1 hour, 13 minutes ago
- › Who is saying vaccines don't make money?? 1 hour, 16 minutes ago
- › By Marie Winn - The Plug-In Drug: Television, Computers, and Family... by Catholic Mama
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › The Night Before Christmas by rjdoghouse
- › Low Prep Art Projects for Kids by AmandaK
- › 8 Ways Natural Birth Helps With Breastfeeding by Sarah Clark
- › Probiotics and Your Little Ones by JenniO11
- › The Debate Over Handheld Devices for Babies... by Marcy Axness
- › Preparing your Child to Attend a... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › Am I A Bad Mother or Has Africa Run Out of... by BrainChild
- › Your Two-Year-Old Knows Squatting is Better by Melanie Mayo
- › Okay to Leave Kids in the Car While Popping... by Melanie Mayo
- › Laundry Zen by Laura Grace Weldon
- › High Needs Mother by BrainChild