or Connect
Mothering › Groups › May 2012 Birth Club › Discussions › Norah Lynn's Birth

Norah Lynn's Birth

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 


Norah's Birth 

On Thursday (5/3) morning, I went to the midwife. I had thought that I was possibly leaking amniotic fluid, so the midwife did a test to see if so and also checked my progress. The test came back negative that it was amniotic fluid and I was dilated to a "loose 1" and about 40% effaced. I have to say I was a little disappointed as I'd been having contractions pretty regularly the day before. I went home and about my day as usual. After dinner, my husband went to a friend's house around 6:30. I hadn't had any contractions all day. Soon after he left, my contractions started. I didn't look at the clock to time them, as this happened the night before, but they went away when I went to bed. Around 7:30, I realized that the contractions were taking all of my attention and my son was starting to be concerned. I called my husband to come home. Once he got home, I had him time the contractions. They were 5 minutes apart, lasting about a minute. We decided that he should go ahead and take my son to my parent's house. While he did that, I called my doula to let her know what was going on. She said to call her back as soon as I felt that she should come. Once my husband got back, he really wanted to head to the hospital, so I agreed. Thinking I was being a huge wimp and there was no way I was going to make it through this unmedicated. The ride to the hospital was rough (20 minutes). I really felt like I wasn't getting in a zone to focus through the contraction and was just reacting to the "pain." When we got to the hospital  (9:40), a nurse checked me and I was 90% effaced, dilated to a 4 and baby's head was very low and engaged. I was thrilled with my progress. The nurse was very encouraging of an unmedicated birth and said they would get the jacuzzi ready for me to labor in. About 15 minutes later, they had moved me to my labor room and were monitoring contractions for a few minutes before I could get in the tub. I suddenly had a huge urge to push. The nurse checked me again and I was fully dilated and ready to push :-) However, the midwife wasn't there yet! My nurse was very encouraging and helpful, telling me to breath the push out of my mouth. I don't know how long but it felt like forever, before the midwife got there. It obviously wasn't long, but seemed like forever. The midwife walked in the room and was very helpful coaching me through pushing so that I wouldn't tear. Through one contraction of pushing, baby Norah Lynn was here (10:15) and in my arms. I was overwhelmed with emotion and surprise that she was a "she" and that she was here so fast. My husband got to cut the umbilical cord, just like with our son. We snuggled and nursed for awhile. Then she was weighed and measured. She was 6lbs 1oz and 18 inches long. She is just perfect in every way, nursing well, and sleeping great. The transformation of our family from three to four has been overwhelming and absolutely wonderful! Just in these first two weeks, I can't count the times that I've been overwhelmed with love and happiness just looking, snuggling, comforting and playing with our two perfect kiddos :-) I couldn't be more grateful!!
post #2 of 8

congrats...what a great birth!!

post #3 of 8

What a cutie! Congratulations!

post #4 of 8

congrats!!!  love.gif

post #5 of 8
What a birth! Congrats mama!!
post #6 of 8

What a beautiful birth!  

post #7 of 8

Congratulations! That's a fabulous picture. :)

post #8 of 8

What a sweet baby!  Congrats!

  Return Home
  Back to Forum: May 2012 Birth Club
Mothering › Groups › May 2012 Birth Club › Discussions › Norah Lynn's Birth