My son will be two in July of this year. I'm thinking he might enjoy a balance bike, but I watched some videos of little ones zipping around in those things and now I'm wondering how safe they are for the very young. Seems to me that at three his bones would be stronger for the inevitable spills, and he'd be starting to develop some common sense as far as safety around other bikes, behind vehicles, by the road, by water, etc. I would feel so bad if I bought him a balance bike at two and then he zipped away from me, faster than I could run, to serious injury or death. How safe are they for two year olds? A quick search on the internet has not turned up any good answer. Thanks for an help you can give.
Parenting supplies mentioned in this thread:
- productStrider PREbike Balance Running Biketagged by cristina7, 2/14/13
Related Forum Threads
- Birthday present, 2nd birthday girl... Last post on 12/29/12 at 10:38am in Life with a Toddler
- How safe does our bike setup need to be? How can I make it safest? Last post on 11/29/12 at 9:49pm in Family Safety
- Strider bikes rock for little one's! Last post on 11/9/12 at 1:49pm in Parenting
- Win a STRIDER bike! Last post on 11/13/12 at 8:05pm in Parenting
- Balance bikes for toddlers Last post on 5/16/13 at 5:02am in Life with a Toddler
Super Summer Gear: 10 Hot Selections for the Whole Family
Last edited: 2/21/14
- STRIDER bikes: Our community puts them to the testLast edited: 11/28/12
- STRIDER bikes: Our community puts them to the test
Are balance bikes safe for the very young?
My son got his on his 2nd. Birthday. He was SOOO excited!!
OMG his face when he saw the box. unforgettable.
I looked around and found that, at the time, the Strider had the shortest 'inseam' at 10" i think. he barely fit. He's a smaller kid, so i had to find the shortest one or it just wouldn't work.
He had it down pat in a few weeks (granted his birthday was in December so we had to find good indoor places where he could ride it, like a gym etc...) but, if I had been able to find a pedal bike that 1. fit him and 2. was light enough for him to maneuver he'd have been zooming around on that around 3. He was riding the pedal bike at 4 and he's 5 now.
One of the kids I watch got a balance bike at 3 and within a week was keeping up with her brother and my son on their pedal bikes. She's got a pedal bike now (still 3) but is not used to the brakes so she doesn't ride it very much.
I say go for it. :)
The Strider balance bike is great for little ones, it can be ridden from 18mths up, and as the child will only go as fast as their feet allows they are in control. They can't run away on it without learning some balance skills first as their feet will be flat on the floor. Both my kids learnt to ride on them safely. Watch the weight of some balance bikes - some way over 6kg! Ideal is half that weight
My daughter is almost two and I plan to get her a balance bike soon. Of course she also has a bicycle helmet. :) And I'm not going to let her take it anywhere near a street or something like that.
I'm sure there are some dangers involved, just like on any other bicycle, but if you take precautions I think the benefits outweigh the risks.
- › New member :) 49 seconds ago
- › ~*~The TTC ONE Thread~*~April 2014 1 minute ago
- › Grad Club: Where the group discussion continues after the ONE thread! 3 minutes ago
- › Queer, Pregnant & Parenting January, February & March 2014 4 minutes ago
- › Why Is Jenny McCarthy Dangerous? 5 minutes ago
- › Outdoorsy Momma of 2 8 minutes ago
- › Will you encourage your daughter to be a SAHM? 8 minutes ago
- › The BEST baby product you own? 12 minutes ago
- › The Fertility Challenged One Thread - Spring 2014 16 minutes ago
- › Is anyone else having spotting? 22 minutes ago
- › Epibi Nursing Pads by SparkleMaman
- › By Marie Winn - The Plug-In Drug: Television, Computers, and Family... by Catholic Mama
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › WellFuture WellBelly April 2014 Giveaway by JenniO11
- › 30 Hilarious and Inspiring Parenting Quotes... by Melanie Mayo
- › Should We Stop Acting Like Breastfeeding is a... by Sarah Clark
- › Got Trust? The Antidote for Insecurity &... by Marcy Axness
- › Finding My Tribe After the Death of My Daughter by Melanie Mayo
- › Ten Tips for Surviving Two Under Two by Melanie Mayo
- › The Worry and Wonderment of Parenting by Melanie Mayo
- › 5 Surprising Benefits to Making a Pet a Part... by Melanie Mayo
- › Mining Joy from the Muck of Daily Mothering by Marcy Axness
- › Interview with Blair Lee, author by SavvyHomeschool