or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › I'm Pregnant › Rhyming Sibling Names
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rhyming Sibling Names

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
I need opinions here... I'm 3 weeks away from delivering my 3rd child, my 2nd boy. Our first son's name is Jackson (we call him both Jackson and Jack). We are thinking of James McBain for the new baby and calling him "Mack". I loved it until it dawned on me that Mack rhymes with Jack. Does it rhyme to much or should we go for it?
post #2 of 21

I think that is fine!

Both adorable names

post #3 of 21

I'd avoid this. I also don't understand nicknames that are a big departure from the given name.

post #4 of 21

Will you always call the baby Mack or just as a nickname?  I think rhyming nicknames are fine, but would avoid it if you plan to call them Mack and Jack as their everyday names. 

 

However, if you love the names and the rhyming doesn't bother you, then I would go for it :)

post #5 of 21
I definitely would not do rhyming names.
post #6 of 21

I would avoid rhyming names, given or nicknames.  But, that is just me.

post #7 of 21

If his name will be James, why would you call him Mack? Am I missing something here? And if you are going to call him Mack, why don't you just make that his legal name? headscratch.gif
 

post #8 of 21

It rhymes way too much for sibling names IMO. Very, very cutesy unless that is your thing. 

post #9 of 21

It reminds me of Make Way for Ducklings. I wouldn't do it.

post #10 of 21

I don't like rhyming names personally and I think that is an odd nickname for his formal name. Also, and this doesn't help, but I immediately thought of "Make Way For Ducklings" too and I doubt we are the only people.

post #11 of 21

Up here in the Northwest, Mack & Jack means good beer! (local brewery named Mac & Jack). 

 

I'd avoid rhyming names. Perhaps choose another nickname? 

post #12 of 21

I definitely wouldn't do rhyming names, but that's a personal preference because all FOUR siblings in my dad's family have rhyming names, plus my grandpa's name rhymes with all of theirs. Horrible, lol.

post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummeting View Post

I definitely wouldn't do rhyming names, but that's a personal preference because all FOUR siblings in my dad's family have rhyming names, plus my grandpa's name rhymes with all of theirs. Horrible, lol.

 

Hahahaha OMG noooooo!!

 

 

OP, I LOVE both of those names and I understand where you're getting "Mack". But I don't know how I feel about the rhyming names. That *could* be too cutesy. But it's sad because I love BOTH Jack and Mack. I love them so much, that I might not even care about the rhyming!

post #14 of 21
Consider also that every single person you (or your kids) ever meet is going to make a comment about the rhyming names. That will get old real fast.
post #15 of 21

     Quote:

Originally Posted by liliaceae View Post

Consider also that every single person you (or your kids) ever meet is going to make a comment about the rhyming names.

 

Or ask where Pack and Quack are.

post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroodyWoodsgal View Post

 

Hahahaha OMG noooooo!!

 

 

OP, I LOVE both of those names and I understand where you're getting "Mack". But I don't know how I feel about the rhyming names. That *could* be too cutesy. But it's sad because I love BOTH Jack and Mack. I love them so much, that I might not even care about the rhyming!

 

 

I am totally curious - where does Mack come from? Is it a regional thing? I just don't see Mack from James McBain! Is he a fictional pop culture character??? 

post #17 of 21
Okay, so what if you did indulge the urge here? Then later, you have one more child and you cannot come up with another name that rhymes.... that child will feel left out of the naming ritual.


Really, I know a family who gave their first two daughters the masculine boys names... think Miller and Bennett and the third daughter got the cutesy girl name Emma. Boy, she's 8 years old now and pissed off. "Why couldn't you match my name to theirs?" she wails.
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thyme Mama View Post

 

 

I am totally curious - where does Mack come from? Is it a regional thing? I just don't see Mack from James McBain! Is he a fictional pop culture character??? 



HAha, not regional...I married into Irish folk! Lots of "Mack"s going back on the family tree. Mack is from the "Mc" in McBain.

post #19 of 21
Thread Starter 
Thanks to everyone for your comments! Please keep in mind that Jack's name is actually Jackson so if we did a better job of calling him Jackson instead of Jack, I don't think it rhymes with Mack at all.

As far a Mack coming from James McBain, I'm starting to agree with the comments and I'm not sure it makes sense. IF we do name him Mack, it will probably be his first name and we will spell it Mac (Mac McBain).

The Make Way for Duckling comment totally cracked me up! Where have I been, I've never heard of this book. I googled it and my husband and I had a good laugh!
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroodyWoodsgal View Post



HAha, not regional...I married into Irish folk! Lots of "Mack"s going back on the family tree. Mack is from the "Mc" in McBain.

 

Gotcha! I asked my Mom about it (Irish too) and she said that Mack is like "Dude" or "Buddy" or "Man". I still couldn't make the connection with my dense, pregnant brain. lol.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieKLincoln View Post

Thanks to everyone for your comments! Please keep in mind that Jack's name is actually Jackson so if we did a better job of calling him Jackson instead of Jack, I don't think it rhymes with Mack at all.
As far a Mack coming from James McBain, I'm starting to agree with the comments and I'm not sure it makes sense. IF we do name him Mack, it will probably be his first name and we will spell it Mac (Mac McBain).
The Make Way for Duckling comment totally cracked me up! Where have I been, I've never heard of this book. I googled it and my husband and I had a good laugh!

 

Thanks for coming back and updating us a bit! I felt like we were missing part of the story or something. orngbiggrin.gif And congrats on the new little one!!! love.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: I'm Pregnant
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › I'm Pregnant › Rhyming Sibling Names