We have a tiny budget but want to have a birthday party at a park for my daughter. I'm looking for ideas for group activities and food ideas. Also, we need to have it at the park rain or shine, so if it rains, what rainy park activities can you suggest? I am stressing about this, I'm not sure why but it's 4am and it woke me up. Thanks.....
Related Forum Threads
- DD not invited to friend's birthday party Last post on 1/8/12 at 4:43pm in Parenting
- birthday party drama and hurt feelings Last post on 9/16/13 at 4:42pm in The Childhood Years
- Anyone else feel birthday parties are becoming too much? Last post on 8/4/13 at 3:05pm in Parenting
- Birthday invitation question Last post on 7/1/13 at 7:54pm in The Childhood Years
- How big a deal do you make of your kids' birthdays? Last post on 7/4/13 at 8:56am in Parenting
Why Birthdays Matter
Last edited: 5/31/13
- things that happened when the teacher visited that I wish had not.Last edited: 3/5/13
- things that happened when the teacher visited that I wish had not.
3 year old birthday ideas on a budget
Not sure what the weather is like there but we just has a party for DS that was a huge hit. A few things we did:
We had a bunch of old cardboard boxes in the garage. We filled them with balloons and taped them shut then put them in the back yard. Opening and dumping them was fun then they played with the boxes and balloons for a long time. Forts were made, space ships, etc.
Then we broke down the boxes, laid them on the grass, brought out paints and chalk and the kids drew huge pictures.
Then I brought out a bag of little water pistols and the kids squirted each other for a while.
That's all we did and they really seemed to enjoy it.
We also had a flat of cupcakes instead of a cake which was totally reasonable and easier for the parents (no plates, forks, etc).
Other than that we just had a veggie tray and water.
Hope that helps!
Don't have the party over a meal time. Then you serve fruit and veggies with some dip.
Cupcakes are good.
A few balloons for the kids to play with, then they play at the playground.
Homemade play-doe and some stickers and bubbles for the gift bags.
This is what we did for our DD 2nd birthday at the park.
Everyone had a great time.
Rain painting (or, obviously, not-rainy painting). Use a cheap tempra paint, big but kinda sturdy paper - it can handle getting diluted by raindrops.
I'm blanking on other ideas right now - but I love the crafty crow for new ideas for kid stuff to do/make. There's a lot there that recycles other stuff and good ideas for younger kids.
dance party! toddlers love to dance, especially if their grownups dance with them. Go to the library and get some cds of fun kids music, turn it on, and dance! Try stuff that has actual movements to it - Wiggles, Raffi, Laurie Berkner, Hap Palmer.
Toddler crowd pleasers-
Shake Your Sillies Out
Touch Your Toes to Your Nose
If You're Happy and You Know It
Wheels on the Bus
Beanbag Game (need beanbags for this one)
Seconding the homemade playdough. do you have any cookie cutters you can use with that?
I wouldn't do much in the way of decorations or favors (unless you do the playdough- then break it into pieces, put it in a baggie and each child can take some home).
good luck and have fun!
Do you have a tent? If you have a tent with a rain-fly, you could have a "Noah's Ark" party! I would make paper-plate animal hats like these: http://alphamom.com/family-fun/holidays/diy-holiday-hats-for-every-occasion/ only turned into whatever animal you like. You could do face-paints for every kid with a small set like this: http://www.dickblick.com/products/palmer-face-paint-pots/ and the kids could pretend to be animals. Ask them to bring their rainboots and have an animal parade in the rain. The kids would probably be happy climbing in and out of the tent twenty or a hundred times. Do cupcakes with a little plastic animal on the top, and you are set for dessert and a party treat. I like home-made popcorn for an inexpensive snack. Have fun!
Bubbles - individual bubble wands and/or a bubble machine. Our parties for this age group have pretty much consisted of bubbles and balloons and that's done the job. Music/dancing is also a good idea. A tent (if you have one) would be fun even if it's not raining. We had fun at a Halloween party with a huge bowl filled with spaghetti and jell-o and the kids lucky dipped into it, looking for little farmyard animals that were hiding in the gunk.
- › December Spend-Less Challenge: Let's Fill Our Stockings with... 2 minutes ago
- › Due Date Roll Call 3 minutes ago
- › The "Progressing / Positive / Impending / I'm in Labor" Thread 3 minutes ago
- › ~*~ The TTC ONE Thread ~*~ November 2013 5 minutes ago
- › Has your kid taken the talent search exam for the CTD's NUMATS? 6 minutes ago
- › i would like some advice i just found out that i am pregnant 6 minutes ago
- › What are your favorite baby products? 6 minutes ago
- › Into the 2nd Trimester! 7 minutes ago
- › s/o xdh blackmailing me about my dating life 7 minutes ago
- › Need a little reassurance...and honest thoughts! 9 minutes ago
- › Diva Cup Diva Cup #2 Post Childbirth, Cup by Taqah
- › GroVia Cloth All In One - Pudge by Taqah
- › North American Bear Company Rosy Cheeks Baby Tan by Taqah
- › Maya Wrap Lightly Padded Baby Sling by Taqah
- › Bamboletta Doll by sleeping mama
- › Melissa & Doug Cutting Food Box by ahilal
- › Prince Lionheart Whirl Balance Scooter, Natural/Pink by Melanie Mayo
- › Elves and Angels Sylvie's Wood Kitchen by Melanie Mayo
- › Natural Earth Paints Face Paint by Melanie Mayo
- › Glob Greeting Card Collage Kit with Seedpaper by Melanie Mayo
- › To Santa or Not To Santa by JillVettel
- › Three Low Cost Holiday Gifts to Make with Kids by Stephafriendly
- › Mothering with Mental Illness: The Natural... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › Vaccinations and George W Bush by Brian Leaf
- › Does Motherhood Matter Anymore? by Melanie Mayo
- › Terms and Conditions: Holiday Cards Giveaway... by Cynthia Mosher
- › Mothering's Natural Toy Guide 2013 by Monica S
- › Top 20 Toy Picks for 2013 | Mothering Natural... by Melanie Mayo
- › 21 Toys Under $21 | Mothering Natural Toy... by Melanie Mayo
- › Toys to Splurge On | Mothering Natural Toy... by Melanie Mayo