My son is 3 years old. Here are some tidbits:
- When he was a baby, he used to shriek at certain noises like the hair dryer, the vacuum, motorcycles, etc. He was extremely alert. - By the time he was a year old, he could read the entire alphabet and knew all the colors.
- By the time he was 15 months old, he could count to 20.
- He would freak out from an early age (and still does) if certain toys are placed in the bath tub that are bigger than a specific size.
- He can count to 10 in Spanish.
- He will cry over the silliest things, such as you telling him it is night time when it is clearly day time.
- He has a few phobias such as insects and toy snakes and sharks. He can't even bare the sight before freaking out.
- He is obsessed with Marvel Superheroes. He can tell you the name of every single character and villian. He carries around a pamphlet with all the characters listed and he will throw a temper tantrum if he misplaces it. It's so torn that I had to cover it in tape. - - It seems like he memorizes every single detail of everything he hears-- he can tell you the brand of nearly every car on the freeway that passes just by looking at their emblems.
- It is difficult carrying a conversation with him, sometimes he will respond to your questions with things like "chair!!!" or some other inanimate object. Other times he will just ignore you, or not look at you, or pretend he is asleep. And other times, he will interrupt and talk over you-- if you try to tell him to wait until you're finished speaking he will just speak louder and louder above whatever you're saying.
There are other things I'm missing I'm sure.. it's late and I've been up reading about this..
I used to think he was just a bright kid, but now I realize he may be more unique than that, or maybe I'm obsessing. Do any of you remember what your children with Aspergers were like at this age? I don't know if this is something I should worry about as he is so young.
Thanks for your help