or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Working and Student Parents › Should I move back to CA to save tuition or stay hear and wait another year for school?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Should I move back to CA to save tuition or stay hear and wait another year for school?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

I was accepted into a BSN program for this fall but have to pay out of state tuition. I thought I was going to be geting the WUE scholarship but since I was admited to the nursing program I am no longer getting it! So between tuition and two kids in daycare I will not be able to afford nursing school in the fall. I'm considering staying here and working as a CNA for another year and hoping my application for the BSN program is accepted again next fall once I am a resident. This program is 2.5 years and considered one of the best here in my new state.
My other option is that there is one community college in my home state that is still taking applications for their LPN program in the fall. I can not find any ADN programs or BSN programs still taking applicaitons. It is first come first serve so I'm not even sure if I will get my application in in time, they only have four spots open. If I do get it all of the tuition and supplies will be paid for by grants so I will not have to worry about scholarships or loans. The program is 12 months and there is a LPN-RN bridge at the school that does not have a work requirement if you do their LPN program and are not a transfer. The bridge is another academic year of 9 months. So this would take 21 months to become a ADN-RN.
So which would you do?
Thansk

post #2 of 11

If it were me I would either stay in state and go the LPN bridge route or I would move, wait the year and then hope you qualify again next year. Paying out of state tuition is crazy expensive!! I understand that the one out of state is the best around, but essentially do you think you will be that much better off to justify out of state tuition?

post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiemombian View Post

If it were me I would either stay in state and go the LPN bridge route or I would move, wait the year and then hope you qualify again next year. Paying out of state tuition is crazy expensive!! I understand that the one out of state is the best around, but essentially do you think you will be that much better off to justify out of state tuition?


The issue is I am all ready out of state. I moved here as soon as I found out I got the WUE scholarship while I was an 'undeclaired' major. As soon as my major changed to BSN when I was officially accepted I lost the scholarship!

My lease is paid until the end of July but after that I really can not rationalize staying here and paying soo much for daycare just to wait and hope I get in again next year. I guess I need to dream a little smaller for now and just go with the best route to reach my end goal even if it is a year or two further off!

post #4 of 11

If you have moved out of state A then state A no longer considers you a resident. I am confused why you think you would be treated as a resident there based on living there in the past. You are not necessarily considered a resident of state A simply because state B doesn't consider you to be a resident either. States only have to acknowledge a resident like this if they are military and then by special appeal.

post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 

I just moved here. I still use my original address for a lot of mail. My drivers license is out of my original state, I graduated high school there (which can be used to determine residency), I have not registered to vote here etc. I'm not even in a real leased rental, just a sublet (which does not count towards establishing residency). I paid my taxes in my home state not here. I'm basically on a vacation here since I'm going back home soon anyways.

post #6 of 11
If there are no custody issues and you can support yourself if you move then I think you should move back. I don't think they count leaving the state for school or for less than a year a permanent move but each state has different residency requirements so you should check.
post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by One_Girl View Post

If there are no custody issues and you can support yourself if you move then I think you should move back. I don't think they count leaving the state for school or for less than a year a permanent move but each state has different residency requirements so you should check.

 



My ex is in prison in a third and different state... I asked one of the financial aid offices in CA and they said if I have not done anything to establish residency like signing a real lease, getting an ID or voting I'm still a resident there. My family back in CA keeps saying I'm on vacation here, lol.

post #8 of 11

Are you still on the CA waitlist for the child care subsidy?

post #9 of 11
Thread Starter 

Yep, I never took them off of the waitlist even though we stopped getting cash assistance. I figured at the worst if they got a spot at the top of the waitlist I might go back!

One of the colleges in CA actually has its own subsidized daycare! They have a very small waitlist and it is based on income/need instead of first come first serve so both of my kids stand a pretty good chance of getting in.
 

post #10 of 11

CA will still consider you a resident since your stay was short :) I say, if you know you are in the program here in CA, move back! Just be careful, because you know how it is here right now; not enough openings at the state funded colleges, so hard to get classes. Good luck!

post #11 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by grisandole View Post

CA will still consider you a resident since your stay was short :) I say, if you know you are in the program here in CA, move back! Just be careful, because you know how it is here right now; not enough openings at the state funded colleges, so hard to get classes. Good luck!


I have found two very rural college that was still taking applications for their LVN program because they did not yet have enough applications turned in! One ended up getting two more applications while mine was in the mail so I'm third on the wait list and the other has to have the counseling office approve my transcripts so they gave me a week to complete the application but if the counseling office is not done by this wednesday I can't apply.

So I don't know for sure if I'm in either one but if not I can apply for January instead of having to wait till next September.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Working and Student Parents
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Working and Student Parents › Should I move back to CA to save tuition or stay hear and wait another year for school?