or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

CT Hospital Waterbirth?

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 

Does anyone know if any hospitals in CT offer Waterbirth?  I can't find any but someone recently insisted there were some....

post #2 of 16
Yes! Manchester Memorial Hospital in Manchester has birth tubs. You just need to find an OB or midwife who is cool with it.
post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 

Thank you!!  Any midwife recommendations for Manchester Memorial?  Is it crazy to plan on delivering at a hospital an hour from my house?

post #4 of 16

Manchester OB/GYN has a few midwives, I think, and they deliver at Manchester Memorial.  I'm not sure if you can choose to see just the midwives or if you get who you get though.

 

You may want to check out Circle for Life Midwifery, they deliver at St. Vincent's in Bridgeport (which is opening a new "Childbirth Pavilion" in September.  Might be the same amount of driving time for you though!  I'm not sure if they do water births but it's worth a call... one of the two midwives in the practice, Paula Cate, was the midwife who helped found The Birthplace at St. Mary's in Waterbury (back when it was an accredited birth center and not just a couple special rooms in the maternity floor like it is now) and I know she did water births there. 

 

Keep in mind though that a lot of hospitals have tubs to use but most hospitals will only "allow" you to use them for labor, not the birth itself.  So make sure you specifically talk about that with your care provider, if actually birthing in the water is important to you. 

 

Good luck in your search!
 

post #5 of 16

Hartford Hospital has birth tubs.  Is that closer to you?  

post #6 of 16

As of 2007 when I had my son Hartford Hospital had only ONE tub, in a room off the hallway, that you could labor and not birth in, and that nurses actively discouraged people from using.  The in-hospital birth center at St. Mary's still allows waterbirth- look for Dr. Albini there.  He donated the tub.  OB/GYN of Manchester is now called Ob/GYN of Eastern CT- I like Russ the midwife there and they have a few new mws as well.  It is absolutely not crazy for you to travel an hour- it will be annoying for all your prenatals but will be worth it in the end.  The hospitals in your area don't have a great rep for natural birth.

post #7 of 16

Windham Hospital also has tubs but I believe they are only for laboring, and you must get out for the actual birth.  Women & Infants in Providence might have tubs in their birth center too.  I'm not sure if your insurance would cover out of state though, even if it is closer for you than Manchester.  If you are interested in homebirth or renting a tub, I've got info. for that as well.

post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizfu View Post

As of 2007 when I had my son Hartford Hospital had only ONE tub, in a room off the hallway, that you could labor and not birth in, and that nurses actively discouraged people from using.  The in-hospital birth center at St. Mary's still allows waterbirth- look for Dr. Albini there.  He donated the tub.  OB/GYN of Manchester is now called Ob/GYN of Eastern CT- I like Russ the midwife there and they have a few new mws as well.  It is absolutely not crazy for you to travel an hour- it will be annoying for all your prenatals but will be worth it in the end.  The hospitals in your area don't have a great rep for natural birth.

 

I had dd2 at Manchester, and I had seen Russ the midwife (I'm sorry but I can't remember his actual name, it's been a few years), and he was wonderful.  I was kind of weirded out at the time by the thought of having a male midwife but he was very supportive of breastfeeding, not circumcising, waterbirth, and letting me labor in whatever position I wanted to.  He was great to work with :)

 

BTW, I lived on the CT/RI border at the time, and traveled about an hour & 10 minutes to get there.  So IME, I don't think you're crazy.

post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Boudicca~ View Post

I had dd2 at Manchester, and I had seen Russ the midwife (I'm sorry but I can't remember his actual name, it's been a few years), and he was wonderful.  I was kind of weirded out at the time by the thought of having a male midwife but he was very supportive of breastfeeding, not circumcising, waterbirth, and letting me labor in whatever position I wanted to.  He was great to work with smile.gif

BTW, I lived on the CT/RI border at the time, and traveled about an hour & 10 minutes to get there.  So IME, I don't think you're crazy.

This is Russ. I also saw him for my prenatal care in 2009, and he was great, but he didn't end up at my birth because he wasn't on call at the time. I went to this practice before they moved and changed their name, so I don't know if anything has changed, but at that time whoever was on call was who attended your birth. I was pretty happy with everyone I saw there though. They were fine with me giving birth in the tub because I had a "proven pelvis," but I don't know if they'd allow it for a first birth or complicated pregnancy.
post #10 of 16

Wow, there's something amazing about a male midwife.  

 

Would you consider going to the freestanding Birth Center in Danbury? We drive 60minutes one way there because it is amazing.  You can have any birth you want there, as long as you don't want medication. If you want medication it's really easy to just walk/drive across the street to Danbury Hospital.  Can't recommend highly enough.

post #11 of 16

I was at Hartford in November and they do not allow birthing in the tub nor does it even function.  The room is used for storage of equipment and from what my midwife said the tub was broken from the moment it was installed the hospital has no intention of having it fixed.  I've heard great things about Manchester (and the rooms are 10x bigger than Hartford and they don't make you move to a new room for each "phase". 

post #12 of 16

I believe Newport Hospital in RI does water births.....not in CT, but not too far from southeastern CT.

post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootprintsDoula View Post

Windham Hospital also has tubs but I believe they are only for laboring, and you must get out for the actual birth.  Women & Infants in Providence might have tubs in their birth center too.  I'm not sure if your insurance would cover out of state though, even if it is closer for you than Manchester.  If you are interested in homebirth or renting a tub, I've got info. for that as well.

 

Yes, this. I had the option with my older daughter of laboring in the tub, but I chose not to. They made it very clear that it was not for birthing, only for laboring.

Russ Medberry was with Mansfield Obstetrics before moving to Manchester. He delivered my older daughter in 2006. She was one of the last babies he delivered before he left. I loved him. He has an excellent bedside manner and is very knowledgrable. I also found him very supportive of natural birth, breastfeeding, etc. I was so sad when he left. If he had stayed in my area, I probably would have continued having my babies in the hospital.

Good Luck with your waterbirth!

post #14 of 16

Any one know of a hospital near New Haven?

post #15 of 16

You're not far from the birthing center in Danbury: http://www.ctbirthcenter.com/index.htm

post #16 of 16

Middlesex isn't too far from New Haven and allows waterbirth (I believe you rent/purchase your own tub and bring it).

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home