Hi, I know this isn't exactly an allergy question, but I thought it might be a good forum in which to start. My dd(5) has Asperger's Syndrome, is gluten-free and mostly soy-free. She's always had a hard time pooping, and tends toward LOTS of energy, so I recently started her on 1)a probiotic and 2)mag citrate. This was about two weeks ago, and in the last week or so, she has been having meltdowns (EPIC ones) every day, sometimes several times a day. She hasn't been like this for a goooood while, and I'm trying to figure out if this is all related to stress at school, or if the supplements are affecting her. I know it sounds crazy, but could she be experiencing die-off symptoms from the probiotic? If not, does anyone else have any thoughts? Thanks, ladies :).
- topicAllergiestagged by System, 5/27/12
Related Forum Threads
- breastfeeding and allergies Last post on 2/12/14 at 9:35pm in Allergies
- Total elimination diet- rice/oat sensitivity? Last post on 2/15/14 at 7:50pm in Allergies
- Toddler helping with contact allergies? Last post on 2/15/14 at 7:22pm in Allergies
- Dairy Allergy and breastfeeding Last post on 3/3/14 at 11:51am in Allergies
- Weaning Toddler/Elimination Diet Last post on 2/15/14 at 7:28am in Allergies
Yeast die off?
I don't know if it's much help, but taking probiotics makes me MISERABLE. Some of them it was because of the ingredients, and lately I found one that I seem to handle well, but did experience die off. It was crappy, and I was totally cranky. So that could be a definite possibility. I went to my local health store and they recommended "Candidase" which are enzymes that help control the die off, and they did help me some. My die off was so severe that I have decided to do a sugar free diet for two weeks or so (see how I feel) before attempting the probiotics again, to try to kill off the low hanging fruit in a gentler way (I am still nursing, so I want to have as little effect on my son as possible)...I was only taking about 1/8th of a pill at a time (although it was a 50 billion count pill). That being said, when I stopped taking the probiotic, I felt MUCH better than when I started taking it, so the small amount of time made a good difference in the way I felt, so I am very encouraged to give it another try. I took the pills for about a week.
I would try giving her a smaller dose, find some enzymes to eat up the toxins, and have her take Epsom salt baths, which were also a big help. If you aren't already, really try to stop giving her sugar or refined carbs of any kind - if it is a die off reaction, you will just be feeding the yeasts more. Also, be really careful of pre-packaged gluten free foods, as they are going to be full of sugary carbs. I recommend reading the GAPS book if you want more info; it helps explain the reasoning behind the diet, and that was a HUGE help for me.
I think that it's kind of debatable for some people, but it seems to make a lot of sense for me. When I take the probiotics the good flora starts to displace the yeasts, which cause the yeasts to die, and in doing so, they release toxins into your system. If you google die off reactions you will get a good bunch of info. As the yeast dies, the reaction subsides. I don't know about the yogurt, I'm not sure that there would be enough probiotic bacteria in commercial yogurt to cause a die off type reaction, but I could be wrong....do you have other symptoms of yeast issues? (Although, you could have die off from any of the flora in your system - that's why some people feel worse when they take antibiotics too).
For me the die off makes me feel foggy and generally unwell, with a bad head ache. I did also crave sweets at first, but that subsided after a day or two.
I don't think so... I just have never heard of this. I like to at least know what people are referring to in these threads, and am very often stumped! Thanks for the info...
- › "Here Comes the Judgment" 2 minutes ago
- › considering Catholicism but family planning confusion - thoughts? 3 minutes ago
- › Needing advice 5 minutes ago
- › Belly Pictures! 5 minutes ago
- › Good Days / Bad Days 13 minutes ago
- › The Fertility Challenged One Thread - Spring 2014 14 minutes ago
- › Grad Club: Where the group discussion continues after the ONE thread! 15 minutes ago
- › The Saner TTC and Graduates -- Wolf Moon 18 minutes ago
- › anyone else LOVE Pregnancy and have amazing pregnancies? SHARE!!!! 27 minutes ago
- › Finally decided 31 minutes ago
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › The Night Before Christmas by rjdoghouse
- › The Polar Express by sassyfirechick
- › Laundry Zen by Laura Grace Weldon
- › High Needs Mother by BrainChild
- › Homebirth Forum Guidelines by Cynthia Mosher
- › Disclaimer by Cynthia Mosher
- › Does Siri Thwart Social Intelligence? by Marcy Axness
- › Homeschooling with YouTube by SavvyHomeschool
- › Closing the Door On Childbearing by Melanie Mayo
- › A Journey Through Childhood with Seuss by Melanie Mayo
- › Belly Binding for Prenatal Comfort and... by Kristen Tea
- › Mothering Pregnancy Photo Contest 2014 Terms... by Cynthia Mosher