Any suggestions for what type of Vitamin C is best for when our kids if they do come down with something?
- topicVaccinationstagged by System, 5/28/12
Related Forum Threads
- Vaccination and Sexism in the Media Last post on Today at 1:43 pm in I'm Not Vaccinating
- A Lifetime of Vaccines.... Last post on Today at 12:44 pm in I'm Not Vaccinating
- The real costs of "Vaccine Court" Last post on Today at 11:35 am in I'm Not Vaccinating
- The 0.3% according to Voices For Vaccines Last post on Today at 1:38 pm in I'm Not Vaccinating
- A venerable who's who of vaccine skepticism….. Last post on Yesterday at 7:55 pm in I'm Not Vaccinating
My Vaccine Info
Last edited: 3/4/13
- Vaccinations: Why All the Fuss?Last edited: 12/26/13
- Resources for Non-vaccinating FamiliesLast edited: 1/18/13
- Frontline's War on Selectively Vaccinating ParentsLast edited: 3/14/13
- In Britain 12-Year-Olds Vaccinated Without Parental ConsentLast edited: 3/8/13
Vitamin Cpost #1 of 95/28/12 at 12:49pmThread Starterpost #2 of 95/28/12 at 4:12pm
Supposedly sodium ascorbate. But it tastes atrocious. I give it liberally to DH but I can't mix it with much to blunt the salty taste. If anyone has ideas how to get a toddler to take it let me know! I usually end up giving her gummi Cs from the coop, which are ascorbic acid. I'd kiss anyone who invented gummi sodium ascorbate vitamins!post #3 of 95/29/12 at 8:18amQuote:Originally Posted by nukuspot
Supposedly sodium ascorbate. But it tastes atrocious. I give it liberally to DH but I can't mix it with much to blunt the salty taste. If anyone has ideas how to get a toddler to take it let me know! I usually end up giving her gummi Cs from the coop, which are ascorbic acid. I'd kiss anyone who invented gummi sodium ascorbate vitamins!
Well, I was giving it to my 6 year old cause she had a nasty cough, I tried a few things, she didn't mind it as much in Chocolate milk. But it is pretty nasty because it's salty, I would imagine that putting it in some broth might help too.post #4 of 95/29/12 at 8:56am
Mix it in juice - orange is good, but tropical is even better. I've tried it with milk and NEVER. AGAIN.
Juice is definitely the way to go.
Best vitamin C is sodium ascorbate. Liposomal vitamin C is also good as it is more readily absorbed and avoids the issue with bowel tolerance. Ascorbic acid is also quite good, however it can give you a really raw bottom if taken to bowel tolerance.post #5 of 95/29/12 at 8:58ampost #6 of 95/29/12 at 9:09am
I second putting it in orange juice. And also second spreading the doses through out the day.
My now 4 year old has been taking SA, especially when sick, for the last two years! It can be done, but maybe my DS is weird......there's not much he won't take in orange juice (even grapefruit seed extract pill crushed up - soooooo bitter!)post #7 of 95/29/12 at 5:07pmThread Starter
Just found this on www.livestrong.com
Vitamin C Overdose
Too much vitamin C can have adverse effects. If you take 6,000mg or more of vitamin C during pregnancy, your infant may develop rebound scurvy because her vitamin C intake will drops after birth. Consult a doctor before using more than 1,000mg vitamin C a day when pregnant, recommends University of Maryland Medical Center. Too much vitamin C, in theory, also can cause excess iron absorption, dental enamel erosion and vitamin B12 deficiency, according to Oregon State University. Vitamin C also may have a diuretic effect. Excessive doses of vitamin C also can lead to diarrhea and nausea, and can acidify the urine, according to Merck.
I find it hilarious that Merck would disagree with large doses of vitamin C. Of course they would! Not in their best interests to have our kids HEALTHY! LOLpost #8 of 95/30/12 at 12:49pmpost #9 of 95/30/12 at 8:32pm
I have such a picky toddler she won't even eat plain applesauce or OJ! But chocolate milk...That she could get into. I'll try it in choc milk next time. Now, I have been having a hell of a time figuring out dosage. I was planning to start with 1/4 tsp 2x day next time? For a 32lb 3 y/o. Is this too little/too much? I give DH 1 tsp 3xday when he gets sick so trying to figure out a kid amount.
- Vaccinations: Why All the Fuss?
- › Vaccination and Sexism in the Media 3 minutes ago
- › 12 year old boy is weepy. Causes? 3 minutes ago
- › Can you freeze tofu? 3 minutes ago
- › Weaning Nearly 3 Year Old 4 minutes ago
- › Weight gain Part II 5 minutes ago
- › Irrational fears, anyone? 6 minutes ago
- › Natural Sinus Relief? 6 minutes ago
- › Adoption/Foster/Starting Out Chit Chatty Thread Extravaganza 2014 7 minutes ago
- › A pediatrician's different perspective on why he doesn't accept... 7 minutes ago
- › The 0.3% according to Voices For Vaccines 8 minutes ago
- › By Marie Winn - The Plug-In Drug: Television, Computers, and Family... by Catholic Mama
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › The Night Before Christmas by rjdoghouse
- › Low Prep Art Projects for Kids by AmandaK
- › 8 Ways Natural Birth Helps With Breastfeeding by Melanie Mayo
- › Probiotics and Your Little Ones by Melanie Mayo
- › The Debate Over Handheld Devices for Babies... by Marcy Axness
- › Preparing your Child to Attend a... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › Am I A Bad Mother or Has Africa Run Out of... by BrainChild
- › Your Two-Year-Old Knows Squatting is Better by Melanie Mayo
- › Okay to Leave Kids in the Car While Popping... by Melanie Mayo
- › Laundry Zen by Laura Grace Weldon
- › High Needs Mother by BrainChild