Any suggestions for what type of Vitamin C is best for when our kids if they do come down with something?
- topicVaccinationstagged by System, 5/28/12
Related Forum Threads
- Sodium asorbate help Last post on Today at 3:53 pm in I'm Not Vaccinating
- agianst vaccinations Last post on 12/19/13 at 7:26am in I'm Not Vaccinating
- Declining the Hep B Vax Last post on 12/19/13 at 11:36am in I'm Not Vaccinating
- "There haven't been any studies that have proven vaccines cause autism" Last post on Today at 7:35 am in I'm Not Vaccinating
- When They Get Older Last post on 12/17/13 at 2:03pm in I'm Not Vaccinating
My Vaccine Info
Last edited: 3/4/13
- Vaccinations: Why All the Fuss?Last edited: 2/24/13
- Resources for Non-vaccinating FamiliesLast edited: 1/18/13
- Frontline's War on Selectively Vaccinating ParentsLast edited: 3/14/13
- In Britain 12-Year-Olds Vaccinated Without Parental ConsentLast edited: 3/8/13
Vitamin Cpost #1 of 95/28/12 at 12:49pmThread Starterpost #2 of 95/28/12 at 4:12pm
Supposedly sodium ascorbate. But it tastes atrocious. I give it liberally to DH but I can't mix it with much to blunt the salty taste. If anyone has ideas how to get a toddler to take it let me know! I usually end up giving her gummi Cs from the coop, which are ascorbic acid. I'd kiss anyone who invented gummi sodium ascorbate vitamins!post #3 of 95/29/12 at 8:18amQuote:Originally Posted by nukuspot
Supposedly sodium ascorbate. But it tastes atrocious. I give it liberally to DH but I can't mix it with much to blunt the salty taste. If anyone has ideas how to get a toddler to take it let me know! I usually end up giving her gummi Cs from the coop, which are ascorbic acid. I'd kiss anyone who invented gummi sodium ascorbate vitamins!
Well, I was giving it to my 6 year old cause she had a nasty cough, I tried a few things, she didn't mind it as much in Chocolate milk. But it is pretty nasty because it's salty, I would imagine that putting it in some broth might help too.post #4 of 95/29/12 at 8:56am
Mix it in juice - orange is good, but tropical is even better. I've tried it with milk and NEVER. AGAIN.
Juice is definitely the way to go.
Best vitamin C is sodium ascorbate. Liposomal vitamin C is also good as it is more readily absorbed and avoids the issue with bowel tolerance. Ascorbic acid is also quite good, however it can give you a really raw bottom if taken to bowel tolerance.post #5 of 95/29/12 at 8:58ampost #6 of 95/29/12 at 9:09am
I second putting it in orange juice. And also second spreading the doses through out the day.
My now 4 year old has been taking SA, especially when sick, for the last two years! It can be done, but maybe my DS is weird......there's not much he won't take in orange juice (even grapefruit seed extract pill crushed up - soooooo bitter!)post #7 of 95/29/12 at 5:07pmThread Starter
Just found this on www.livestrong.com
Vitamin C Overdose
Too much vitamin C can have adverse effects. If you take 6,000mg or more of vitamin C during pregnancy, your infant may develop rebound scurvy because her vitamin C intake will drops after birth. Consult a doctor before using more than 1,000mg vitamin C a day when pregnant, recommends University of Maryland Medical Center. Too much vitamin C, in theory, also can cause excess iron absorption, dental enamel erosion and vitamin B12 deficiency, according to Oregon State University. Vitamin C also may have a diuretic effect. Excessive doses of vitamin C also can lead to diarrhea and nausea, and can acidify the urine, according to Merck.
I find it hilarious that Merck would disagree with large doses of vitamin C. Of course they would! Not in their best interests to have our kids HEALTHY! LOLpost #8 of 95/30/12 at 12:49pmpost #9 of 95/30/12 at 8:32pm
I have such a picky toddler she won't even eat plain applesauce or OJ! But chocolate milk...That she could get into. I'll try it in choc milk next time. Now, I have been having a hell of a time figuring out dosage. I was planning to start with 1/4 tsp 2x day next time? For a 32lb 3 y/o. Is this too little/too much? I give DH 1 tsp 3xday when he gets sick so trying to figure out a kid amount.
- Vaccinations: Why All the Fuss?
- › Crunchy Christian mamas '13 4 minutes ago
- › Sodium asorbate help 5 minutes ago
- › Why are women such jerks when it comes to vaccinations? 8 minutes ago
- › How is it December already? (Chat Thread) 12 minutes ago
- › A cra66y question ... 18 minutes ago
- › Show off your bump here! 19 minutes ago
- › What did you accomplish today? 24 minutes ago
- › Single Mamas By Choice 37 minutes ago
- › Hello everyone!! I'm looking forward to "meeting" you. 37 minutes ago
- › How do you get your family to clean up after themselves? 39 minutes ago
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › The Night Before Christmas by rjdoghouse
- › The Polar Express by sassyfirechick
- › Polar Express by Melanie Mayo
- › The Return of the Light: Twelve Tales from Around the World for the... by Terry Stafford
- › The Shortest Day: Celebrating the Winter Solstice by Terry Stafford
- › The Diaper-Free Baby: The Natural Toilet Training Alternative by Fembot
- › The Snow Queen by Astraia
- › The Snowy Day by janonia
- › Christmas in the Big Woods by Melanie Mayo
- › Five Free, Festive Ways to Have Fun at Christmas by Monica S
- › Cosleeping in a Coca-Cola Commercial by Brian Leaf
- › Terms and Conditions: BabyKicks and The... by Cynthia Mosher
- › Should You Care About the Photo of Gisele... by Monica S
- › Christmas Through Their Eyes by AmandaK
- › 6 Mistakes People Make When a Friend's... by momofnatasha
- › Hyland's Holiday Challenge Mothering... by JenniO11
- › Lead in Christmas Lights, Toxic Decorations... by Amy Serotkin
- › Can Attachment Parents Put Their Own... by KidsInTheHouse
- › Phases of a Nursling by OliviaHinebaugh