Any suggestions for what type of Vitamin C is best for when our kids if they do come down with something?
Related Forum Threads
- Alaska public schools and vaccines Last post on Today at 3:55 am in I'm Not Vaccinating
- Anyone in NC? Need playpals for my 6-mo-old :) Last post on Yesterday at 11:30 am in I'm Not Vaccinating
- Pediatricians now ask you to sign "release of protected health information to schools"... Last post on Today at 8:23 am in I'm Not Vaccinating
- Flu shot required for my job Last post on 5/15/13 at 9:47am in I'm Not Vaccinating
- when relocating do you ask for an exemption before you move? Last post on 5/15/13 at 4:46am in I'm Not Vaccinating
Vaccinations: Why All the Fuss?
Edited on 2/24/13
- Resources for Non-vaccinating FamiliesEdited on 1/18/13
- Frontline's War on Selectively Vaccinating ParentsEdited on 3/14/13
- In Britain 12-Year-Olds Vaccinated Without Parental ConsentEdited on 3/8/13
- The Right to RefuseEdited on 3/20/13
Vitamin Cpost #1 of 95/28/12 at 12:49pmThread Starterpost #2 of 95/28/12 at 4:12pm
Supposedly sodium ascorbate. But it tastes atrocious. I give it liberally to DH but I can't mix it with much to blunt the salty taste. If anyone has ideas how to get a toddler to take it let me know! I usually end up giving her gummi Cs from the coop, which are ascorbic acid. I'd kiss anyone who invented gummi sodium ascorbate vitamins!post #3 of 95/29/12 at 8:18amQuote:Originally Posted by nukuspot
Supposedly sodium ascorbate. But it tastes atrocious. I give it liberally to DH but I can't mix it with much to blunt the salty taste. If anyone has ideas how to get a toddler to take it let me know! I usually end up giving her gummi Cs from the coop, which are ascorbic acid. I'd kiss anyone who invented gummi sodium ascorbate vitamins!
Well, I was giving it to my 6 year old cause she had a nasty cough, I tried a few things, she didn't mind it as much in Chocolate milk. But it is pretty nasty because it's salty, I would imagine that putting it in some broth might help too.post #4 of 95/29/12 at 8:56am
Mix it in juice - orange is good, but tropical is even better. I've tried it with milk and NEVER. AGAIN.
Juice is definitely the way to go.
Best vitamin C is sodium ascorbate. Liposomal vitamin C is also good as it is more readily absorbed and avoids the issue with bowel tolerance. Ascorbic acid is also quite good, however it can give you a really raw bottom if taken to bowel tolerance.post #5 of 95/29/12 at 8:58ampost #6 of 95/29/12 at 9:09am
I second putting it in orange juice. And also second spreading the doses through out the day.
My now 4 year old has been taking SA, especially when sick, for the last two years! It can be done, but maybe my DS is weird......there's not much he won't take in orange juice (even grapefruit seed extract pill crushed up - soooooo bitter!)post #7 of 95/29/12 at 5:07pmThread Starter
Just found this on www.livestrong.com
Vitamin C Overdose
Too much vitamin C can have adverse effects. If you take 6,000mg or more of vitamin C during pregnancy, your infant may develop rebound scurvy because her vitamin C intake will drops after birth. Consult a doctor before using more than 1,000mg vitamin C a day when pregnant, recommends University of Maryland Medical Center. Too much vitamin C, in theory, also can cause excess iron absorption, dental enamel erosion and vitamin B12 deficiency, according to Oregon State University. Vitamin C also may have a diuretic effect. Excessive doses of vitamin C also can lead to diarrhea and nausea, and can acidify the urine, according to Merck.
I find it hilarious that Merck would disagree with large doses of vitamin C. Of course they would! Not in their best interests to have our kids HEALTHY! LOLpost #8 of 95/30/12 at 12:49pmpost #9 of 95/30/12 at 8:32pm
I have such a picky toddler she won't even eat plain applesauce or OJ! But chocolate milk...That she could get into. I'll try it in choc milk next time. Now, I have been having a hell of a time figuring out dosage. I was planning to start with 1/4 tsp 2x day next time? For a 32lb 3 y/o. Is this too little/too much? I give DH 1 tsp 3xday when he gets sick so trying to figure out a kid amount.
- Vitamin C
- Resources for Non-vaccinating Families
- › Holding Baby Too Much?! 7 minutes ago
- › 16 month old has not said any words 16 minutes ago
- › May the road rise up to meet you, Dingoes everywhere! 17 minutes ago
- › Weekly Chat May 14-19 19 minutes ago
- › May TWW Thread 19 minutes ago
- › A Saner TTC-The Pink Moon 21 minutes ago
- › Need advice- obsessed Grandma causing problems 21 minutes ago
- › The unspoken world of cosleeping 22 minutes ago
- › When did you start loving your second child as much as your first? 22 minutes ago
- › May 2013 Chit Chat 26 minutes ago
- › Trillium Organics OGmama Belly Butter by trilliumama
- › Gaiam Wrap Waist Yoga Pants by Melanie Mayo
- › Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by dayiscoming2006
- › Charlie Banana Reusable Feminine Pads Liner Butterfly, Butterfly by Chapsie
- › Earth Mama-Angel Baby Earth Mama Bottom Balm, 2 fl oz (60 ml) by Chapsie
- › Econobum Individual by Chapsie
- › EnJoye LBI Deluxe Tote Set - Brown by JennaRose
- › Lusa Organics Booty Balm by emkassu
- › I Took the Moon for a Walk by Melanie Mayo
- › BabyKicks Premium Pocket Diaper by KirstenP
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Melanie Mayo
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf
- › Managing Mom Stress: Sharing Tips and Trying... by Melanie Mayo
- › Who Wants to Sleep Alone? by Cynthia Mosher
- › Should I Train My Child....Like a Dog?! by Sarah Clark
- › Mothering Articles by Melanie Mayo
- › Terms and Conditions - Sustainability Oak... by JenniO11
- › Terms and Conditions - Mothering... by JenniO11