My 5.5 month old has an unconfirmed case of whooping cough / pertussis. Last Friday she had a fever (102.8) which continued for 3 days. I took her into the doctor immediately. By Monday, she had a noticeable cough. I took her in again and was told it was likely a virus that targeted the trachea. Each day the cough got worse. By Wed. she was coughing every 5 minutes. The doctor told me we could give her a steroid, which I did, but it had no effect. I had been thinking it might be WC but hoping not. By Thursday I was losing hope and took her in again so she could be tested.
I was hoping it was not because her coughing was noticeable and frequent soon on, which seemed unlike typical WC. I also thought it if was, maybe she would not have the bad spells because frequent coughing could keep it at bay. Today I thought she was getting better. There is much more time between her coughing, which seems like an improvement . . .but now the coughing is worse and is more in line with what WC would be. She does not have the whoop (yet) but the coughing is more "violent."
All of my other children are vaccinated. I did not vax her because she has had some issues that took some time to figure out, like becoming hoarse (reflux med has taken care of it) and in the hospital for a few days because she seemed to have febrile seizures. I wanted to wait until she was healthy and do it slowly.
We will find out the results tomorrow-- maybe. I noticed that the nurse seemed to take a sample from the front of the nose, and later read it should be done in the back and results are not all reliable anyway. I need to be proactive about this and feel like I can help her through this. It seems the medical community shrugs its shoulders and points the finger of blame at not getting the vax, though I have read that the vax is no guarantee, and because of her issues she would have had one shot at most so far anyway.
I read this: Vitamin C Treatment and am planning on using sodium ascorbate, but of course, I have some concerns:
My DD is about 12 lbs 11 oz. According to my calc she would get 2 g daily. Is Vitamin C truly safe in these doses? Can someone give me sources to confirm?
Any advice, thoughts, etc. very welcome. My anxiety is very high. I have 4 other children and had hoped to have a fun summer with them. Now it seems that the baby will only be better when they are back at school. And, of course, I am extremely worried about complications.
Thank you very much for reading.
Edited by Mizelenius - 6/2/12 at 6:13pm