or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Baby Health › Vaccinations › Selective & Delayed Vaccination › Mothering Mamas Who Thoughtfully Vaccinate
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mothering Mamas Who Thoughtfully Vaccinate - Page 6

post #101 of 219

I delayed HepB to 8 weeks for both my girls.  They were at no risk for exposure and I didn't want the interruption to bonding and feeding at birth - it's not a huge interruption, but I didn't want it anyway.  The hospitals and doctors I was working with were fine with it. 
 

post #102 of 219

I wish I could find my schedule.  I went by one my Dr. gave me.  He was super awesome.  It was a delayed schedule that he gave to the Military Moms who wanted to delay vaxxing.  I'll keep looking for it.

post #103 of 219

We vax fully and more or less on schedule. I believe the research is clear, believe strongly in herd immunity, and am glad that I live in a place and time where vaccines are safe and available. In our family we have an uncle who was severely injured by polio and have had worst case outcomes with things like chicken pox. The thought of a pox party makes me want to cry.

 

I think that many of my other parenting decisions are also science-based like natural birth, breastfeeding, non-CIO, and cloth diapers. Some things I do I do because I am lazy and I think it is easier (co-sleeping).

post #104 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMoulton View Post


A dina just as an FYI I'm pretty certain PoppyLove is a non-vaxer (just didn't want you to be confused as this thread has me feeling that way on several occasions)
Thanks for doing all you can to give us a small space to call our own - it is much appreciated even if it doesn't always feel that way!

That is so creepy! Why would you say that??? Because I have stated that somewhere? Or because I question? This is ridiculous. You don't know my info or my kids, so please don't mention that you are "pretty certain" you know something about my decisions.

 

Adina, thanks for the clarification. 

post #105 of 219
Poppylove, iirc you stated that you dont vax earlier on this thread. In any case, I was also aware of your stance from your recent posts. You've been pretty open about your beliefs. I'm not sure why you're taking offense to TCMoulton noticing.
post #106 of 219

What does iirc mean? Why are you attacking me? What the heck is going on here? I have rarely stated anything about my beliefs on vax. 

post #107 of 219

Okay.  iirc = if i recall correctly.  

 

And now then, let's return to the topic of the thread, and no more discussion of other people.  I'm starting to feel like I am getting punked.

 

poppylove, my apologies for discussing you, or furthering that discussion.  I have no idea what your personal beliefs are, and it really doesn't matter to me. :) But ultimately, they should not have been up for discussion, so I apologize for that.  

 

Now then, onward, please.

post #108 of 219
Iirc stands for if I recall correctly. I'm not attacking you. I'm pointing out that you have posted your views on vaccination on MDC quite recently, and tcmoulton didn't do anything to find them. She probably remembered them from your recent post just like I do.

You only have 65 posts on MDC and most of the vax related threads involve the same 30 people, so saying something once is plenty for people to notice and remember.
post #109 of 219

Okay, whatever you say. I am just not sure why my "stats" are being tossed around.  Can we please change the subject now? I don't really want anyone else talking about where I stand. I am having a bad pregnant lady day and honestly, just feeling really emotional.

 bag.gif

post #110 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppylove View Post

Okay, whatever you say. I am just not sure why my "stats" are being tossed around.  Can we please change the subject now? I don't really want anyone else talking about where I stand. I am having a bad pregnant lady day and honestly, just feeling really emotional.

 bag.gif


hug2.gif

post #111 of 219
I'm glad to see that everyone's playing nice.

I just wanted to chime in as a mom who thoughtfully vaccinates. We delayed everything except dtap for DD until she was two, and now we are well on our getting UTD. She had a negative reaction to rotovirus when she was 2 months, and after that we only did the dtap. I decided that I'd like to wait until my child had clear, predictable (ha! well, as much as any toddler), actions before any more vaccines.

I suspect that we will do the same with our next baby.
post #112 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMoulton View Post


Totally OT but funny - my spell check insists on correcting my niece Ansley's name to Anal...


Relatedly off-topic, my daughter's middle name was going to be Ainsley, but when I mentioned it as a contender to my book club one of the ladies blurted out "sounds like ANUS!!".  Annnnnnd, thanks for ruining the name....even now I can hear her voice saying that!

post #113 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleZB View Post
Anyway, re: Hep B at birth. Here in Canada they either get it in 3 doses from 4-12 months or in 2 doses when they are teenagers.  Or they give it to infants at birth if the mother is infected. (I got the shot when I was an adult; my mother questioned vaccines and excused me from getting the shot at school.) Anyway, I wonder if I was in US, if I would perhaps delay that vaccine a bit. As you know, I'm not at all against vaccines, but being born seems like an awful lot to go through for one day. I would probably see if I could get it in the doctor's office after a week or two.

 

Anyway, I know this isn't a thread about delays, but it's interesting to note that not all kids get shots at birth.

I'm a Canadian ex-pat living in the US (both my littles were born here), and I don't think the rotovirus vaccine is on the list in Canada either (although I believe there was a recommendation a few years ago to include it).  I know this only because my sister's son's daycare had a massive outbreak this winter and several children were hospitalized (two with very severe dehydration-related issues).  She didn't realize that there was a vaccine for it.  Do vaccine schedules vary by province?  She's in Ontario near where we grew up.

post #114 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppylove View Post

Okay, whatever you say. I am just not sure why my "stats" are being tossed around.  Can we please change the subject now? I don't really want anyone else talking about where I stand. I am having a bad pregnant lady day and honestly, just feeling really emotional.

 bag.gif

 

So you probably shouldn't lock us in a room together, huh? lol.gif  I hope tomorrow is less rough. hug.gif

post #115 of 219

Rotovirus is on the schedule here in the States, but my doctor doesn't stock it because it's apparently not required for day cares, or schools, or something, in this state and so she doesn't usually do it. I actually wanted it and asked if she could try to get it, but for some reason it never happened and my daughter ended up aging out. irked.gif She's not in day care, so she's less at risk than she might be. But I myself was hospitalized with a nasty gastrointestinal bug as a toddler (and I wasn't in day care either) and though I recovered fine it was pretty rough for everyone involved and I wanted to lessen the chances of it for my kid.

post #116 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by erigeron View Post

Rotovirus is on the schedule here in the States, but my doctor doesn't stock it because it's apparently not required for day cares, or schools, or something, in this state and so she doesn't usually do it. I actually wanted it and asked if she could try to get it, but for some reason it never happened and my daughter ended up aging out. irked.gif She's not in day care, so she's less at risk than she might be. But I myself was hospitalized with a nasty gastrointestinal bug as a toddler (and I wasn't in day care either) and though I recovered fine it was pretty rough for everyone involved and I wanted to lessen the chances of it for my kid.


I think our ped follows the CDC schedule pretty closely.  My daughter (my first) had a bout of something when she was ~7 months (probably from licking the hand of the boy in front of us on a plane ride...gross) and I was so glad that she had had the rotovirus vaccine.  I was a new mom, which when added to my worst-case-scenario tendencies, made me a little more than neurotic.  Had she not been vaccinated I'm sure we would have been at the ER immediately (as it was, I was hesitant to go on to the next leg of our trip to Louisiana because the hospital in DC was likely way better than where were going).

post #117 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by crayfishgirl View Post

I'm a Canadian ex-pat living in the US (both my littles were born here), and I don't think the rotovirus vaccine is on the list in Canada either (although I believe there was a recommendation a few years ago to include it).  I know this only because my sister's son's daycare had a massive outbreak this winter and several children were hospitalized (two with very severe dehydration-related issues).  She didn't realize that there was a vaccine for it.  Do vaccine schedules vary by province?  She's in Ontario near where we grew up.

 

It is now on the official list, as of this year! My new son, born December, got it starting at 2 months.

 

Before it was available, but you had to pay for it.

post #118 of 219

Hi Mamas!

 

My son just had his 6-month shot this morning! It was his third of the 5-in-ones you get here (diphtheria, tetanus, polio, pertussis, and Hib). I'd always nursed him before and the doctor had given him two shots. He would cry when he got them, nurse, and then be fine in a minute or so. This time, he wasn't hungry, so he dad just held him. He smiled at the doctor and looked at the shot going in his thigh and laughed. Now he is playing. It seemed to have affected him not at all.

post #119 of 219
Thread Starter 

So glad it went well for you today. 

post #120 of 219
Thread Starter 

Hello ladies. 

 

You might have noticed the thread "Not vaccinating does not equal anti-vax" http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1356043/not-vaccinating-does-not-equal-anti-vax 

which is interesting to learn about how non vaccinating mother self identify. 

 

They asked in that thread if everyone who vaccinates on schedule should be considered "pro-vax" which I thought was an interesting question too. This was my response: 

 

 

 

Quote:

 

I would say someone who is pro-vax is someone who is aware of how vaccines work and thinks they save lives. They probably understand there can be side effects, but believe the  benefits out weight the risks. They are also likely to disbelieve many of the more controversial claims over vaccine risk (such as MMR autism links, that thimerosol content of vaccines is dangerous etc). I have yet to meet a working scientist (many of my friends are scientists because I am one) who doesn't consider vaccines to be one of the major medical science achievements of humanity.

 

 

I was just wondering what all you think about. I deliberately didn't label this thread "pro-vax" but rather "thoughtfully vaccinating" as I suspect that better describes those of us posting here who believe in vaccinations. Is that how you would self identify? 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Selective & Delayed Vaccination
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Baby Health › Vaccinations › Selective & Delayed Vaccination › Mothering Mamas Who Thoughtfully Vaccinate