or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Baby Health › Vaccinations › Selective & Delayed Vaccination › Mothering Mamas Who Thoughtfully Vaccinate
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mothering Mamas Who Thoughtfully Vaccinate - Page 2

post #21 of 219

I thought the "proudly" thing had more to do with not being ashamed on this board given the history and tone here and less to do with being like super proud of vaccinating and nothing to do with trying to create a divide. There were several people on the case for vaccination thread who said they felt like they didn't fit in on MDC because of this one issue. Given how things have been here, particularly in the past, I think that's understandable.  There are a lot of vaccinating mothers here though and always have been. 

post #22 of 219

I work hard to make the right choices for my family and my children.  I am proud of that.  For my family, that includes vaccination.  I respect that some families have circumstances and conditions that make vaccination the wrong decision for them.  And they have a whole forum in which to discuss those reasons and that decision, whether they are proud of it or not.  If it offends you that other families are happy to have made a decision that differs from yours, I can't fix that for you.  I certainly can't fix it by refusing to discuss my decision or why I am happy with it.  I have never claimed that vaccination is the right decision for every family.  It is the right decision for mine. 

 

Within the context of MDC in re. vaccination, "proud" has often meant "willing to admit that it is something I have chosen to do."  There is a ton of hostility towards families who vax on this board (and I know, people who don't vax feel persecuted too - I've read about it on the dedicated forum where people aren't allowed to argue in favor of vaccinating) and I have seen that hostility affect people's posting about their decisions.  I think it's important for crunchy moms who vaccinate to reach out to other crunchy moms who are considering the decision and let them know that if they choose vaccination they won't be alone or losing their street cred or any of the other things we fear when we make decisions on issues that people are ranting and raving about.

post #23 of 219

I've seen other posts in which the OP requests that those with differing views not post... it never works & usually sparks ill will & controversy (I'm thinking of a SAHM/WOHM debate from a few months back).

 

But I will say that I usually stay out of the vax discussions (including the more recent "case for vax'ing" thread) because as a vax'ing mama, I'm a bit fearful of backlash here on MDC. ... So, a thread with a positive spin on choosing to vax is actually a welcome thing for me.

 

Like other mamas, I wouldn't say that I am "proud" to vax. And, in fact, I am not necessarily "confident" or "sure" in my family's decision to vax our DS. I do think that there are valid concerns about vax'ing, but we've made the best decision we could and are grateful that DS has not experienced any serious negative side effects that we know of.

 

I will say that we could not have come to our decision to vax (albeit, slightly off-schedule) without two wonderful pediatricians who did not belittle our concerns and were willing to have serious and deep (not to mention time-consuming) discussions about vax'ing. I wish everyone were so lucky to find such respectful pediatricians, because I really do think it makes a difference in people's decision re. vax'ing. (The first pediatrician we met before my son was born gave us an ultimatum: vax or you're out. Well, we chose the "you're out" option & the experience temporarily made me more staunchly anti-vax...).

 

I also have loved (& continue to return to) the Dr. Sears book on vax. I like to have the ingredients laid out for me & to know the side effects of each ingredient. It has empowered me in a way that a lot of the other information out there has not.

post #24 of 219
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsGregory View Post

I don't think it's too late for the thread!  Let's have hope!

 

I wouldn't say I'm a proud "vaxxer", but I am confident in my decision to have my child vaccinated on schedule. 

Funny - our primary care provider is a family doctor, but not as "crunchy" as other family doctors.  We had the "CIO" and sleeping arrangement discussion (during which I was outed as "one of those Moms", and there was a visible sigh of relief when I offered no resistance to the vaccine schedule.  I think it goes to show how very hand-in-hand certain philosophies and parenting styles are assumed  to go, and more discussion, within and outside the "crunchy" community, can only benefit everyone.

 

blowkiss.gif
 

That's actually all I meant. I meant that it's not a choice I made without thinking, and it's something I feel confident is right both for my familly and the wider community we live in. Sorry if "proud" was the wrong word to express that with. 

 

I did not mean to be divisive, just to hear about other AP mammas pro-vax choices. :) 

post #25 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

That's actually all I meant. I meant that it's not a choice I made without thinking, and it's something I feel confident is right both for my familly and the wider community we live in. Sorry if "proud" was the wrong word to express that with. 

 

I did not mean to be divisive, just to hear about other AP mammas pro-vax choices. :) 

Just wanted to post to say I knew what you meant.  Perhaps not the best choice of words?  But I wasn't offended by it.

 

Nothing else.

 

Except..... You could still change the title to avoid any more thread derailments.  Just a suggestion.  I'll wrap up my own OT post now.....

post #26 of 219

I agree. A change to Mothering Mamas Who Thoughtfully Vaccinate would be more conducive to a thread that Mothering is inclined to host. I'll make the change. :)

post #27 of 219
Glad you don't moderate ideas!
post #28 of 219

Well, I'll finally chime in I guess.

 

I researched vaccinations when I was pregnant (and admittedly have not kept up with my research much since then), because of the very loud anti-vax community here on MDC. My ex was completely against the idea of *not* vaccinating, but I did my reading and research anyway. After choosing a pediatrician, and talking to them about it, and finding out what schedule he used (he was against the HepB* at birth - said it messed up the entire schedule somehow), we did vaccinate on the schedule that my ds's pediatrician used.

 

My ds did not have any red flags for vax reactions (was a good size at birth, gained rapidly, very healthy despite being a winter baby when colds are all over the place, no health issues whatsoever as an infant), and I was comfortable with our decision. He has had no adverse reactions, and as a baby nursed through his vaccines several times which comforted him. He's still very healthy, despite a (mild) dust mite allergy that the poor kid inherited from me, and a few illnesses here and there.

 

He's also a very bright little boy, who already knows the sounds that most letters make and is starting to figure out how to spell different words. He's tons of fun, but also very stubborn like me, and I'm very proud to be his mom. Despite the fact that the thread title was changed, I'm pretty proud of the parenting decisions I've made so far (all of them), as they have been the right decisions for our little family.

 

*My ds did not receive the HepB at birth mostly because I delivered at a free standing birthing center that did not administer the vaccine. I just thought it was interesting that my ds's ped did not like the HepB at birth - then again he was about 70 years old so may not have kept up with the reasons why it is now given at birth.

post #29 of 219

We vaccinated both of our dc according to schedule. Mostly. There was  a year when we were traveling and we slipped on getting the boosters, but that was inadvertent and not an intentional delay. 

 

I heard anti-vaccination arguments and wasn't persuaded. I researched the issue and made the decision based on that research. Today, I do not question that decision. 

 

Disclosures:

-Formerly, I was a health care professional in a large, tertiary-care teaching hospital on a university campus. I had nothing to do with pharmaceuticals. They weren't part of my practice. 

-DH's sister died of a vaccine-preventable death when she was a toddler. His other sister told us it is the only time she ever saw their father cry. That baby sister is buried in a cemetery with a lot of older graves dating back into the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the headstones are for very young children. When visiting her grave, I am always struck by the tragedy of those deaths, many of which would likely be preventable today.  

-We have friends whose child had a terrible reaction to a vaccine-preventable disease (chicken pox). For years after, they dealt with the consequences. It happened when we had already started the vaccination schedule for our children. So it didn't factor into our original decision, but it did reinforce it to an extent as we went forward. 

 

I don't often read the vaccination threads. It's just not an issue that takes up space in my life. I acknowledge that other parents can make a different decision but I'm not really interested in arguing about it. I noticed there was a lot of activity in the subforum recently, so I took a look. I've been a little fascinated by the emotional level of the discussion. I didn't think this thread would survive, so I didn't bother to respond earlier. Since it has, I thought I should contribute. 

 

ETA: Both dc are healthy, active, emotionally stable, sociable, intelligent (assessed as gifted on IQ testing), artistically talented (attended admission-by-audition-only performing arts high school) and generally thriving into young adulthood. I can't say all that without sounding like I'm bragging, but I wanted to state that there is no evidence of vaccine-related adverse effects TO THEM. 

 

ETAA: Lol, okay, that grammar sucks - TO THEM? IN THEM? They demonstrate no evidence of suffering vaccine-related adverse effects. Better? Clear? 


Edited by ollyoxenfree - 6/8/12 at 11:10am
post #30 of 219

Thank you for taking the time to share your perspective!

post #31 of 219

prosciencemum,  I didn't think you were meaning to be divisive with your word choice at all!  smile.gif

post #32 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post

 

ETA: Both dc are healthy, active, emotionally stable, sociable, intelligent (assessed as gifted on IQ testing), artistically talented (attended admission-by-audition-only performing arts high school) and generally thriving into young adulthood. I can't say all that without sounding like I'm bragging, but I wanted to state that there is no evidence of vaccine-related adverse effects. 

Do you believe that the fact that your vaccinated children had no adverse effects to vaccines is proof that "there is no evidence of vaccine-related adverse effects?"  Is that why they were in the same ETA paragraph?

 

That's what it sounds like you are saying.

 

So does that mean that you believe that children who DID have serious adverse effects to vaccines and then developed health problems, neurological problems, learning disabilities, etc., IS proof?

 

I also wonder why you say that "there is no evidence of vaccine-related adverse effects," when there are studies showing exactly such evidence (posted several times on this forum), as well as about 2000 cases of vaccine-induced brain damage that have been admitted and compensated by the US government alone, not to mention recent cases in France and Italy, where those governments acknowledged MMR-caused autism.

post #33 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post

Do you believe that the fact that your vaccinated children had no adverse effects to vaccines is proof that "there is no evidence of vaccine-related adverse effects?"  Is that why they were in the same ETA paragraph?

 

That's what it sounds like you are saying.

 

So does that mean that you believe that children who DID have serious adverse effects to vaccines and then developed health problems, neurological problems, learning disabilities, etc., IS proof?

 

I also wonder why you say that "there is no evidence of vaccine-related adverse effects," when there are studies showing exactly such evidence (posted several times on this forum), as well as about 2000 cases of vaccine-induced brain damage that have been admitted and compensated by the US government alone, not to mention recent cases in France and Italy, where those governments acknowledged MMR-caused autism.

 

 

Edited my original post for clarity. I thought it was obvious that I was speaking only about our experience with vaccines, but I guess not. I reiterate - MY children demonstrate no adverse reaction to vaccination. Rather, they are healthy and thriving, unlike others within our family and friends' family who were NOT vaccinated. 
I am not interested in arguing about vaccinations. I tried to answer the original post by stating factual information from my own experience. That is all. 
post #34 of 219

You're fine olly, thanks for contributing.  You don't have to explain yourself. 

post #35 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

You're fine olly, thanks for contributing.  You don't have to explain yourself. 

 

Thanks! When I first decided to answer, I tried so hard to avoid stirring up any controversy by just relating our own experiences. I should have known it was impossible...... lol.gif

post #36 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

You're fine olly, thanks for contributing.  You don't have to explain yourself. 

 

Thanks! When I first decided to answer, I tried so hard to avoid stirring up any controversy by just relating our own experiences. I should have known it was impossible...... lol.gif

 

I know, I was trying to avoid stirring anything up - but I've had the same experience you have. My son is thriving in all ways, and does not show any adverse reactions to vaccines.

post #37 of 219

I guess I will reply even though I sort of already did in the case for vaccination thread...

 

I've done my research...I continue to research and I trust my pediatrician...I think that pretty much sums it up. I've seen firsthand how fast illness and disease spread through my children's daycare and public school and I'm comfortable that we are protecting them in every way possible from possibly debilitating, paralyzing or even fatal diseases (not to mention the miserable-ness of just plain old being sick!). I feel as though the greater risk lies in the decision to not vaccinate and of course that is MY opinion (and my husbands). There are no "red flags" in our family histories that make us think that there is a greater risk for an adverse reaction, so we're comfortable that we've made the right choice.
 

post #38 of 219
My kids were select and delayed on the vaccines. My hubs is a "medicine is god" kinda guy. Myself, way more cautious.
post #39 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post


I just want to say that as a non vaxxer I wouldn't ever assume that vaxxed kids were somehow sicker, less intelligent, etc than my non vaxxed ones. Just wanted to point out that not vaxxing was my personal choice (for multiple reasons) and I don't look down on anyone who vaxxes or think that my children are somehow superior physically or emotionally or mentally. I just wanted to clarify this because I think there is a terrible misconception about stuff like this.
post #40 of 219

      Quote:

Originally Posted by nukuspot View Post

I just want to say that as a non vaxxer I wouldn't ever assume that vaxxed kids were somehow sicker, less intelligent, etc than my non vaxxed ones. Just wanted to point out that not vaxxing was my personal choice (for multiple reasons) and I don't look down on anyone who vaxxes or think that my children are somehow superior physically or emotionally or mentally. I just wanted to clarify this because I think there is a terrible misconception about stuff like this.

 

There have been some less than flattering things said on this board about children who are vaccinated, so it's not really a misconception that that belief is out there. But I think it was really nice of you to point out that you don't feel that way. I think there are a wide variety of opinions and beliefs among those on all sides of the issue.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Selective & Delayed Vaccination
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Baby Health › Vaccinations › Selective & Delayed Vaccination › Mothering Mamas Who Thoughtfully Vaccinate