Amelia May decided she didn't want to be a Junebug, so she was born on May 30th at 551 am after just shy of 24 hours of labor at the hospital. All did not go as planned, obviously, since she was supposed to be born at home.
I started having contractions (sporadically) over Memorial Day weekend, lost my mucus plug, and we were waiting for things to pick up before calling the midwife over. Tuesday morning i was having contractions that ranged between 5 and 15 minutes apart before DH left for work, so I told him, I think it will be a while yet, go ahead and drive to work, call me from the parking lot before you go up, and then give me a call once an hour or every 2 hours with a number for someone who knows where you are at all times. (He's an installer and doesn't have a direct line because he works at a secure site and all over the building.) He called from the parking lot, and I told him the contractions were 3 to 8 minutes apart, but not regular, so go ahead. my water hadn't broken yet, and I figured we had a ways to go yet because the contractions weren't regular.
Five minutes after I told him to go ahead to work, I thought I felt my water breaking-- could feel bulging and I ran to the bathroom thinking my water was gushing out. It was not water.
It was blood. There were clots/chunks involved. I freaked out. (wouldn't you??) And my first thought was possible abruption-- they're more common after a c/s, and I wondered if that's why my contractions never got regular. I called the midwife, then DH at work, where he'd barely walked in the door. Asked him, should I call the ambulance? I think we need to get to the hospital NOW. Called my mom, called the ambulance, tried REALLY REALLY HARD not to have a meltdown on the phone with the dispatcher.
I put on a pad to catch the blood, laid down on the couch to wait for the ambulance after I woke my sister up and told her she was in charge of DD because I was calling an ambulance, told her to get the dog and lock him up so the EMT's could come in the house safely. Talked to DH on the phone the whole time until the ambulance got to the house, and they told him where to go, and took me to the hospital.
Most terrifying 40 minutes of my life, by the way. I stopped having contractions for about 20 minutes after the blood gushing, but my belly was rock hard. I couldn't feel the baby moving. I could not stop thinking about the signs of placental abruption. In the ambulance, I started having contractions every 5 minutes. Still couldn't feel the baby move. I was praying the whole time in the ambulance, freaking out and trying not to hyperventilate. And the EMT was so nice, but also kind of clueless, and kept telling me that a "little bloody show was normal" and I was like, OK, bloody show I get. Gushing and clots is NOT a bloody show. Gushing is bad. Rock-hard belly is bad. This is bad.
Got to the hospital, and I was so close to hysterics because I wanted them to find the baby's heartbeat RIGHT NOW but they wanted to take me to L&D to do that. So five minutes later we were in L&D, and at first they couldn't find her heartbeat, but after 2 minutes of looking, they did get it. The contractions slowed a little to 5 to 8 minutes apart, and the blood stopped coming. The baby's HR stayed stable, so they sent in the hospitalist OB for consult cause the OB I had been seeing for shadow care was in the middle of an emergent c/s. Once the contractions slowed down, I started being able to feel the baby move again. I thought they'd advise a c/s, but to my surprise, they didn't because of who my OB was. since bb's HR was stable, they said we had time. told me it looked like maybe I'd had a partial abrubtion, but maybe only had a subchorionic hematoma that leaked or something, and my water breaking at the same time made it look like a lot of blood instead of just a little blood. So they said they'd watch and monitor the baby and the bleeding and my bp for a while before deciding on a course of action. I texted DH and my mom that bb had a heartbeat and we're waiting on what to do, she's stable and I was stable. DH arrived, actually sooner than I expected because it was prime morning traffic hour. They checked my dilation and checked for amniotic fluid with a sterile speculum exam, 2 cm, 80% effaced, and baby at -2. Inconclusive for amniotic fluid (too much blood), so they were going to go with the assumption that my water broke, and wanted me to deliver w/in 24 hours.
My OB came in to talk to me a few hours later. the bleeding was now negligible, baby was still stable. He thought it would be safe to try for a VBAC. I almost cried because I didn't think I'd get the chance to try, wasn't even sure if it was safe to try.
So I spent 11 hours laboring, the contractions were getting stronger and closer together, but then after 11 hours of labor, I was still at 2 cm. I agreed to try pitocin at a low dose and see what happens. 6 hours of pitocin-induced contractions later, I was still only at 2 cm and 80%. No change AT ALL. I wasn't able to use the hypnobabies stuff I'd been practicing w/out the audio, and thanks the the whole ambulance thing, I didn't have any of it. So I was totally unable to relax. They wanted to up the pitocin, but I couldn't handle it any higher. So we tried fentanyl to see if it would help me relax and dilate. It was not doing anything for me, so after the first dose, I said, screw it. If I"m going to have a repeat c/s, I'll have a needle in my spine anyhow. Let's try the needle without the cutting first and see if it helps. I got the epidural. My OB was not particularly optimistic at this point. I was still at 2 cm and there was less than 7 hours before we hit the 24-hour mark that he wanted to deliver by. He started me on antibiotics, and warned me that I might have to prepare myself, but he'd give me a chance to dilate on the epidural and evaluate in a few hours.
It worked. I went from 2 cm at 1145 at night to 4 cm at 130 am, and then by 430, I was at 9 cm. Took another hour or so to get to 10 cm, and they called the doc in. I pushed from about 530 to 551, and she was born! I couldn't believe it! We did it! And baby Amelia May was so tiny, I was in shock. She's only 6 lbs 15.6 oz at birth, and her older sister was 8 lb 3 oz, so pretty significant size difference. Then again, baby Amelia decided to come two full weeks early. So. I got two tears that needed stiches, but nothing serious.
The placenta came out so chewed-up looking it's not even funny. A section of it was almost completely severed. So it looks like it was a partial abruption, after all. The doc had to go in three times to get out clots that were almost as big as his fist. So. All in all, even though nothing went as planned, I'm happy. The staff at the hospital was WORLDS apart from the staff at the hospital where DD was born. They were so respectful, and the doc was so awesome about presenting us with options and supporting us with what we wanted to do, and I am SO INCREDIBLY GLAD that I switched OB's at the beginning of the pregnancy to this guy. The nurses told me that pretty much any other OB would have sectioned me within two hours of getting to the hospital, max. So I had the best OB that I could possibly have for this birth. So here's a pic of our adorable new little baby girl, Amelia May!