Are these worth the money? DD is 16 months and I would like to start a language sooner than later.
Related Forum Threads
- To Homeschool or Not to Homeschool? Last post on Yesterday at 11:30 pm in Learning at Home and Beyond
- Oak Meadow Last post on Yesterday at 5:38 pm in Learning at Home and Beyond
- Calling all homeschoolers.... Last post on Today at 3:53 am in Learning at Home and Beyond
- South Tx help Last post on Yesterday at 11:34 am in Learning at Home and Beyond
- Ipad for homeschooling Last post on Today at 2:47 am in Learning at Home and Beyond
The Season of Wonder
Edited on 5/3/13
- Incorporating Art into HomeschoolingEdited on 3/17/13
- Homeschooling Thanksgiving in a Culturally Sensitive WayEdited on 12/6/12
- Homeschooling with Chronic IllnessEdited on 11/30/12
- Back to School Resources on Mothering.comEdited on 3/8/13
Anyone use the Muzzy Language Learning Program?post #1 of 66/8/12 at 10:02amThread Starterpost #2 of 66/8/12 at 10:15am
I tried them when dd1 was little. The video is poor, the characters are hard to understand, and the plot is not fitting for small children. Even if it were, there isn't enough in the picture to correlate to the words.
AND...I didn't get my promised return.
I've never tried these (other than youtube) but am tempted to order dinolingo. Just from the youtube spot, my youngest was naming animals in the new language. My older ones for sure picked up stuff quickly. On that, though, we are learning a ton from youtube videos. There's tons of free stuff out there, and the kids are learning it quite well this way.post #3 of 66/8/12 at 10:50am
I have a friend who loved Muzzy for her child starting around that age. She did German. I think any exposure to another language is great for babies neuron development that will enable them to learn languages in the future. I bet just watching or listening to shows/movies/book on CD in another language would be great for them.
Are you planning on teaching a language you already know? If so, just speaking to babe and pointing to things will go a long way.post #4 of 66/18/12 at 10:14pm
We got the Russian Muzzy from the library, and I thought it was terrible. My 4 year old was bored with the video, and the whole idea seems bizarre. I like the CD series: Baby's First Steps in (Language) ... I have these for Spanish, French and Mandarin. I don't know if the kids really pick up a lot just from listening to them, but they're easy on the ears, so you can have it playing in the car when you're driving around.
I think kids learn a lot more from interacting with someone in a foreign language...if you don't speak the language yourself, you could still learn some basic vocabulary and try to teach it yourself. Which language are you thinking you'd like to expose your LO to?post #5 of 66/19/12 at 6:14ampost #6 of 66/19/12 at 2:06pm
We own Muzzy in French on DVD. Sounds like it was recorded from a worn out VHS tape. :/ And my kids were totally not into it... at all. Oddly, they were into the "Bonjour, Les Amis" series of DVDs (3 in the set). I liked it because there were text subtitles (also in French) which exposed my early reader to the written language in addition to the audio.
- Anyone use the Muzzy Language Learning Program?
- Incorporating Art into Homeschooling
- › "I'm in labor!" thread - May 2013 DDC 22 seconds ago
- › Gardening! 1 minute ago
- › What would You do? 1 minute ago
- › genetic testing 5 minutes ago
- › Does anyone have AVIVA ROMM'S respiratory immune tonic recipe? 5 minutes ago
- › Big brother or sister gifts? 8 minutes ago
- › May the road rise up to meet you, Dingoes everywhere! 10 minutes ago
- › How would you deal with this bilingual child's issue? 12 minutes ago
- › Queer parents 12 minutes ago
- › Ouch! The whole right side of my abdomen 14 minutes ago
- › My Brest Friend Travel Nursing Pillow by KaliShanti
- › Leachco Snoogle Total Body Pillow by KaliShanti
- › Boppy Nursing Pillow with Slipcover by KaliShanti
- › Bebe Au Lait Cotton Nursing Cover - Poppy Hills by KaliShanti
- › Bravado Designs Bodysilk Seamless Nursing Bra by KaliShanti
- › Motherhood Wireless Full Coverage Nursing Bra by KaliShanti
- › Udder Covers for Nursing Mothers - CARSON by kelseywhitney
- › Trillium Organics OGmama Belly Butter by trilliumama
- › Gaiam Wrap Waist Yoga Pants by Melanie Mayo
- › Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by dayiscoming2006
- › My Heart Growing Fonder by VKHarberRYT
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by Melanie Mayo
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Melanie Mayo
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf
- › Managing Mom Stress: Sharing Tips and Trying... by Melanie Mayo
- › Who Wants to Sleep Alone? by Cynthia Mosher
- › Should I Train My Child....Like a Dog?! by Sarah Clark
- › Mothering Articles by Melanie Mayo