or Connect
Mothering › Groups › December 2012 Due Date Club › Discussions › baby names

baby names - Page 3

post #41 of 63
Thread Starter 

Oh, and Lucille! That's my favorite name so far! How could I forget to put it on the list! 

 

We are big on nicknames, both of my girls mostly go by theirs- Addysen is Addy and Elliot is Elli. I really like that simple, two syllable nickname, so that's why most of my girl names are the ones they are. If baby is a she and we go with Lucille, she'll be, you guessed it- Lucy. 

post #42 of 63

Boy: Finn (Just because we love it) Ryan (It's my middle name)

Girl: Rosemary ( Because my husband loves the movie Rushmore and we both really like the name) Aline (My mom and sisters middle name)

 

I love baby names!  It's so fun to think of who they're going to be when they're here!  We tried for a really long time to get PG and have had these names picked out for two years!  Can't wait to hold one of them! :)  We're not finding out the sex so we have a while to wait!

post #43 of 63

This is really fun to see everyone's suggestions! We have two girls so far named Liberty "Libby" and Cecily "Cece". I want to try to keep the three syllable thing going but drop the "ee" sound at the end.

We'll find out the sex in two weeks, I so cannot wait this time! And I have a few that I like. Mainly Meredith, Margaret, and Caroline for a girl and Benjamin, William, and Winston for a boy. I really like original names but I have this pet peeve of people naming their little girls boys names! I'm afraid all of the interesting boys names are "at risk" to become girls' names. I don't think its fair to the poor boys who will end up getting teased and it completely changes the name. Think Addison, Taylor, Peyton, etc... I've even heard of people naming their daughters names like Wyatt, Austin, and Parker. I have a friend, she had an extremely difficult time getting pregnant, and named her daughter after her grandfather. So I'm sure a lot of times people have a personal reason like that but as a whole I just don't get it. I like feminine names for girls and masculine names for boys. Call me old fashioned but oh well, just had to get that out of my system. :)

 

Oh and the ironic thing is that my name was once a boys' name, guess my parents didn't share that same peeve of mine. :) But it was switched long before I was born.

post #44 of 63

we seem to stick with Erwin if its a boy and Evelyn if its a girl.I like to have a few more name in case we are not feeling it the day of the birth but I cant seem to like anything else enough!!!

post #45 of 63
Thread Starter 

smerkin, I am that mama! I have an Addysen and an Elliot- both girls. Though they go by their feminine nicknames, Addy and Elli, I chose them mostly because I like them. Now that we are having a boy, I get what you mean about masculine and feminine names.

 

So, we bought a name book because of how indecisive we are! On a funny note, we have a cat named Howard and he thinks he is the man and owns the place. I could not stop laughing when I read the definition of his name - guardian of the home. He totally thinks he is the guardian of the home!! 

 

A name that came to me, and has been on some of my other name lists is Judah. I'm just in love with that name and DH actually agreed on it, though we haven't set it in stone yet.  He might be Judah Emerson or Judah James. 

post #46 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by smerkin View Post

This is really fun to see everyone's suggestions! We have two girls so far named Liberty "Libby" and Cecily "Cece". I want to try to keep the three syllable thing going but drop the "ee" sound at the end.

We'll find out the sex in two weeks, I so cannot wait this time! And I have a few that I like. Mainly Meredith, Margaret, and Caroline for a girl and Benjamin, William, and Winston for a boy. I really like original names but I have this pet peeve of people naming their little girls boys names! I'm afraid all of the interesting boys names are "at risk" to become girls' names. I don't think its fair to the poor boys who will end up getting teased and it completely changes the name. Think Addison, Taylor, Peyton, etc... I've even heard of people naming their daughters names like Wyatt, Austin, and Parker. I have a friend, she had an extremely difficult time getting pregnant, and named her daughter after her grandfather. So I'm sure a lot of times people have a personal reason like that but as a whole I just don't get it. I like feminine names for girls and masculine names for boys. Call me old fashioned but oh well, just had to get that out of my system. :)

 

Oh and the ironic thing is that my name was once a boys' name, guess my parents didn't share that same peeve of mine. :) But it was switched long before I was born.

 

I agree about your pet peeve! It seems like the pool of boys names is shrinking as more and more names get pulled over to the pink side. Jordan and Ryan I like for a boy, but won't use them because I hear them for baby girls more than boys these days. Even names like Meredith and Ashley started out as boys names way back when, so I don't think this is a new phenomenon but it seems to be accelerating.
post #47 of 63

Granted I live in the San Francisco bay area, and granted I am coming from a queer cultural perspective in which lots of different sorts of people have all different sorts of names (whether given or chosen), but I hardly think anyone's kid is going to be scarred for life if they are given a name that is used for both boys and girls. What is happening is that names that were once considered gender specific are essentially becoming gender neutral names - like Chris, Pat, Jamie, Kerry, etc. As was already pointed out, lots of the names that we now think of as "girl names" were once "boy names" . And names that we associate with one gender in this culture might have a different association in another culture (Shannon, for example). If we have a girl we are naming her Jude -  which is traditionally thought of as a "boy name" and I certainly don't think anyone should stop naming their sons Jude because if it.

post #48 of 63
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kateadelle View Post
If we have a girl we are naming her Jude -  which is traditionally thought of as a "boy name" and I certainly don't think anyone should stop naming their sons Jude because if it.

 

I love that! If we do indeed go with Judah, his nickname will be Jude. I just love those names!! And yeah, I think it will be neat when our girls are older and not have any gender bias when applying to schools or jobs. 

post #49 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eandko View Post

 

I agree about your pet peeve! It seems like the pool of boys names is shrinking as more and more names get pulled over to the pink side. Jordan and Ryan I like for a boy, but won't use them because I hear them for baby girls more than boys these days.

 

Agreed. I like masculine names for boys and feminine names for girls. It's a quirk of mine. I gave DD a flowery name (that suits her perfectly). There are so many pretty girls names that I can't see using a traditional boy's name just to make her different. JMO though. Different strokes and all that. 

post #50 of 63

One of my favorite people in the world is a woman named Jude!

 

I think it really does depend on where you live, where you expect to live, and what your cultural 'stream' is, so to speak.  And on how you want your children to have to interact with people.  My name (Dawn) is not THAT uncommon - nationally.  It was VERY uncommon where I lived growing up - I didn't meet another one until I was about 10 or so, and she was an adult.  I still don't know many.  So I always felt and enjoyed that I had a 'weird' name.  My kids have (genuinely) uncommon names and I did that deliberately, because I think my kids are going to be unusual people and their names can reflect that.  But it's very important to some people, for equally valid reasons, for their kids and their kids' names to fit in more than stand out.  

post #51 of 63

I do have one girls ith a name that is more a boys name. Morgann but we tend to pick names either based on meaning or naming after someone. She was named for meaning, the meaning is from sea side or something along those lines, my grandmother passed when I was 38 weeks preg she was in PA and I was in NE so I couldn't go to the funeral. When Morgann was born she looked like her and has an old soul look. My grandmother's name meant Light of the Sea so it seemed fitting to name her Morgann. She was almost Lyndsey Which is another that has crossed really but didn't know that then(it is DH grandmother middle name).

 

We ar set for a boys name but no clue on a girls name which with 7 girls and 1 boy,I expect another girl LOL

post #52 of 63

Interesting hearing everyone's feedback. I knew about Ashely but I had no idea Meredith was once a masculine name! So funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyzoo View Post

I do have one girls ith a name that is more a boys name. Morgann but we tend to pick names either based on meaning or naming after someone. She was named for meaning, the meaning is from sea side or something along those lines, my grandmother passed when I was 38 weeks preg she was in PA and I was in NE so I couldn't go to the funeral. When Morgann was born she looked like her and has an old soul look. My grandmother's name meant Light of the Sea so it seemed fitting to name her Morgann. She was almost Lyndsey Which is another that has crossed really but didn't know that then(it is DH grandmother middle name).

 

We ar set for a boys name but no clue on a girls name which with 7 girls and 1 boy,I expect another girl LOL

 

I like going off of meanings or naming after people too. We always loved Liberty and one of my g-g'fathers was Cecil and I thought Cecily was very pretty and uncommon. I'm not feeling any name in particular yet with this one but I had a dream it was a boy and we named him William so I guess we'll see. For some reason I'm more concerned that a girl has a more uncommon name. Maybe because I like the more common boys names. I do think that we'll ignore the popularity of a name and go with one that we like.

 

We found out with my first and did not with my second and while it was fun I really like knowing what to plan for. It also helps my husband bond more during the pregnancy with the baby and while he's a fabulous daddy and man I do think he'll need a bit of warning if #3 is a girl. :0)

 

One more thing, I really, really hope its a boy for the sole reason that my husband likes the name Madeline. No biggie except we have a dog named Maddie!!! And its sad but she has cancer and probably won't be around much longer but still, I cannot do that! We've had her for years and everyone knows her. That would just be weird. I'm trying to avoid the whole discussion so I'm hoping to see some little boy parts at the sono. :0)

post #53 of 63

.....


Edited by nhklh - 11/13/13 at 10:18pm
post #54 of 63

LOVE name meanings. I've crossed names off our list because I didn't like what a name meant. 

 

If we have a boy, we're leaning towards Samuel, partly because it means Gift from G-d. Perfect for a baby that was an unexpected blessing. 

If we have a girl, we love Arielle. Ari is Hebrew for Lion. I'm going for a VBAC for this birth, but no matter how it goes, I'd want to teach my daughter to fight like a lion for something she believes in. 

post #55 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDivineMrsM View Post

LOVE name meanings. I've crossed names off our list because I didn't like what a name meant. 

 

If we have a boy, we're leaning towards Samuel, partly because it means Gift from G-d. Perfect for a baby that was an unexpected blessing. 

If we have a girl, we love Arielle. Ari is Hebrew for Lion. I'm going for a VBAC for this birth, but no matter how it goes, I'd want to teach my daughter to fight like a lion for something she believes in. 

I think that is a BRILLIANT idea Mumma!!!!! :))))))) Love it!!!!

 

Something I don't like about this whole naming dilemma is that now I hear my favourite names everywhere!!! When we chose them a few years back they were not popular at all, and now they are in the top 20!! Noooooooo :( They were mine lol!!

That plus DH's mum found out 2 of the names then took them off to work and her workmates voted on them lol!!! Now I feel like we can't use those names!!!

That and we don't want to "pre name" the babe... we want to find out who they are at birth and think about it for as long as it takes :)

post #56 of 63

Went to dinner at some friends' house last night (they have a 8.5 month old named Simon). She told me about this great baby name book and website called The Baby Name Wizard or babynamewizard.com.


Have any of you ladies seen this site?  It is pretty fascinating, you can track the popularity of names over time with these really nifty interactive graphs.  I think I might become obsessed...

post #57 of 63

Just found out our little space whale is a girl! Her name will be Noelle Francesca Rivera. She's due on Christmas candle.gif

 

<3

post #58 of 63

Congratulations, Michelle! And that's a lovely name :-)  My kids have a cousin who was born on Christmas last year and his mom named him Hark (as in, Herald Angels Sing) which I also think is great - they live in West Texas and it's both seasonal and has that cowboy, strong western sound to it!

post #59 of 63

oooh! i love that! thank you btw- I always thought I would do a more "unique" name but the second we found out when she was due- it came to us both at the same time. must be fate! stillheart.gif

post #60 of 63
we are having a boy, our first after 3 girls. His first name will be Soyer ( pronounced like sawyer) it is my mom's maiden name. After a dream I had a few weeks ago I think we will be using my hubby first name for the middle name James. .
Mothering › Groups › December 2012 Due Date Club › Discussions › baby names