Are there any traditional Montessori celebrations to welcome summer? If not, anyone have any Montessori type ideas for preschoolers?
- topicMontessoritagged by System, 6/19/12
Related Forum Threads
- Planning a floor bed...just saw a mouse in my apartment. Eeek! Last post on 3/24/14 at 11:49am in Montessori
- Montessori in Salt Lake Last post on 3/24/14 at 7:05pm in Utah, Arizona
- Advice for PT Conference Last post on 3/25/14 at 7:12pm in Montessori
- Why Montessori? This is why! Last post on 3/5/14 at 6:28pm in Montessori
- Is my son getting enough adult supervision at school? Last post on 3/3/14 at 4:05pm in Montessori
Our Child's Education: Our Decision To Make, Not Yours
Last edited: 8/21/13
summer solstice celebration
From what I recall, the summer solstice celebrations were a mix of age-appropriate scientific explanations about the solstice and some studies about the sun and the Earth and plant/animal growth and life cycles, as well as songs and games and stories about the sun.
The science involved things like demonstrations with a flashlight or a lamp and a model of the sun and the Earth. Students also often had started seedlings or had been working in the school garden at this time of year. For pre-schoolers, the science was pretty basic and understandable.
Solstice often bumped up against the end-of-school year celebrations, so there was often a picnic or party with lots of seasonal food.
Solstice crafts included things like making masks in the shape of the sun or sunflowers.
Thanks. I'm leading the summer solstice part of the end of year celebration for my daughter's class tomorrow. I actually included some age appropriate version of most of what you listed (3,4 & 5 yr olds). Was just wondering if there were any specific ceremony that I might have overlooked.
- › Seattle pastured eggs 6 minutes ago
- › ~*~The TTC ONE Thread~*~April 2014 8 minutes ago
- › Changing my discipline techniques... where do I learn about GD/CP? 14 minutes ago
- › Anyone else currently nursing? 17 minutes ago
- › feeling baby move 18 minutes ago
- › 18.5 week anatomy scan of our wee owlet! 32 minutes ago
- › Boy or Girl - The Nub Theory . 34 minutes ago
- › Weekly Thread April 14-20 35 minutes ago
- › Best rear facing car seat for toddler? 35 minutes ago
- › first dr appointment? 39 minutes ago
- › Epibi Nursing Pads by SparkleMaman
- › By Marie Winn - The Plug-In Drug: Television, Computers, and Family... by Catholic Mama
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › Should We Stop Acting Like Breastfeeding is a... by Sarah Clark
- › Got Trust? The Antidote for Insecurity &... by Marcy Axness
- › Finding my Tribe After the Death of my Daughter by Melanie Mayo
- › Ten Tips for Surviving Two Under Two by Melanie Mayo
- › The Worry and Wonderment of Parenting by Melanie Mayo
- › 5 Surprising Benefits to Making a Pet a Part... by Melanie Mayo
- › Mining Joy from the Muck of Daily Mothering by Marcy Axness
- › Interview with Blair Lee, author by SavvyHomeschool
- › Mayim Bialik Opens Up About Her Breastfeeding... by Melanie Mayo
- › Freedom Together: Mothering Mavens Try Out... by Melanie Mayo