Are there any traditional Montessori celebrations to welcome summer? If not, anyone have any Montessori type ideas for preschoolers?
- topicMontessoritagged by System, 6/19/12
Related Forum Threads
- Montessori in Salt Lake Last post on Yesterday at 10:18 am in Montessori
- Advice for PT Conference Last post on 3/5/14 at 2:01pm in Montessori
- Why Montessori? This is why! Last post on 3/5/14 at 6:28pm in Montessori
- Is my son getting enough adult supervision at school? Last post on 3/3/14 at 4:05pm in Montessori
- Montessori Materials made by me! Last post on 2/13/14 at 9:50am in Montessori
Our Child's Education: Our Decision To Make, Not Yours
Last edited: 8/21/13
summer solstice celebration
From what I recall, the summer solstice celebrations were a mix of age-appropriate scientific explanations about the solstice and some studies about the sun and the Earth and plant/animal growth and life cycles, as well as songs and games and stories about the sun.
The science involved things like demonstrations with a flashlight or a lamp and a model of the sun and the Earth. Students also often had started seedlings or had been working in the school garden at this time of year. For pre-schoolers, the science was pretty basic and understandable.
Solstice often bumped up against the end-of-school year celebrations, so there was often a picnic or party with lots of seasonal food.
Solstice crafts included things like making masks in the shape of the sun or sunflowers.
Thanks. I'm leading the summer solstice part of the end of year celebration for my daughter's class tomorrow. I actually included some age appropriate version of most of what you listed (3,4 & 5 yr olds). Was just wondering if there were any specific ceremony that I might have overlooked.
- › ~*~ The TTC ONE Thread~*~ March 2014 15 minutes ago
- › General Chat 19 minutes ago
- › March 2014 *already*! What did you accomplish today? 37 minutes ago
- › when did you discover your child had an eye problem? and what was... 51 minutes ago
- › Bumps downstairs.. 2 hours, 26 minutes ago
- › Teach acceptable noise levels 2 hours, 39 minutes ago
- › Breast pads 2 hours, 40 minutes ago
- › Looking for sweets and cookies that are healthy and taste nice 2 hours, 41 minutes ago
- › How you know you have "Pregnancy Brain" 2 hours, 43 minutes ago
- › The Fertility Challenged One Thread - Spring 2014 2 hours, 45 minutes ago
- › By Marie Winn - The Plug-In Drug: Television, Computers, and Family... by Catholic Mama
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › The Night Before Christmas by rjdoghouse
- › Low Prep Art Projects for Kids by AmandaK
- › 8 Ways Natural Birth Helps With Breastfeeding by Sarah Clark
- › Probiotics and Your Little Ones by JenniO11
- › The Debate Over Handheld Devices for Babies... by Marcy Axness
- › Preparing your Child to Attend a... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › Am I A Bad Mother or Has Africa Run Out of... by BrainChild
- › Your Two-Year-Old Knows Squatting is Better by Melanie Mayo
- › Okay to Leave Kids in the Car While Popping... by Melanie Mayo
- › Laundry Zen by Laura Grace Weldon
- › High Needs Mother by BrainChild