Are there any traditional Montessori celebrations to welcome summer? If not, anyone have any Montessori type ideas for preschoolers?
- topicMontessoritagged by System, 6/19/12
Related Forum Threads
- Transitioning from traditional to montessori in elementary school Last post on 12/14/13 at 4:10pm in Montessori
- Ask About Montessori Last post on 11/29/13 at 4:11am in Montessori
- Looking for Montessori language arts books/curriculum/info Last post on 11/23/13 at 12:25pm in Montessori
- any montessori guides out there? Last post on 10/9/13 at 1:38pm in Montessori
- Where does your Montessori child do their homework? Last post on 9/28/13 at 4:06pm in Montessori
Our Child's Education: Our Decision To Make, Not Yours
Last edited: 8/21/13
summer solstice celebration
From what I recall, the summer solstice celebrations were a mix of age-appropriate scientific explanations about the solstice and some studies about the sun and the Earth and plant/animal growth and life cycles, as well as songs and games and stories about the sun.
The science involved things like demonstrations with a flashlight or a lamp and a model of the sun and the Earth. Students also often had started seedlings or had been working in the school garden at this time of year. For pre-schoolers, the science was pretty basic and understandable.
Solstice often bumped up against the end-of-school year celebrations, so there was often a picnic or party with lots of seasonal food.
Solstice crafts included things like making masks in the shape of the sun or sunflowers.
Thanks. I'm leading the summer solstice part of the end of year celebration for my daughter's class tomorrow. I actually included some age appropriate version of most of what you listed (3,4 & 5 yr olds). Was just wondering if there were any specific ceremony that I might have overlooked.
- › I put my foot in my mouth...come and let me have it! 8 seconds ago
- › Desperate for a Change in our Dinnertime/Eating! 1 minute ago
- › Babywearing experiences 2 minutes ago
- › crib sidecar age? 2 minutes ago
- › Enter the BabyKicks and The Mindful Home Giveaway! 3 minutes ago
- › Favorite labor snacks and drinks? 5 minutes ago
- › Baby girl name poll 14 minutes ago
- › Why are we so worried about vax vs non-vax? 15 minutes ago
- › ~*~ The TTC ONE Thread ~*~ December 2013 18 minutes ago
- › Post-partum check in here! 18 minutes ago
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › The Night Before Christmas by rjdoghouse
- › The Polar Express by sassyfirechick
- › Polar Express by Melanie Mayo
- › The Return of the Light: Twelve Tales from Around the World for the... by Terry Stafford
- › The Shortest Day: Celebrating the Winter Solstice by Terry Stafford
- › The Diaper-Free Baby: The Natural Toilet Training Alternative by Fembot
- › The Snow Queen by Astraia
- › The Snowy Day by janonia
- › Christmas in the Big Woods by Melanie Mayo
- › Five Free, Festive Ways to Have Fun at Christmas by Monica S
- › Cosleeping in a Coca-Cola Commercial by Brian Leaf
- › Terms and Conditions: BabyKicks and The... by Cynthia Mosher
- › Should You Care About the Photo of Gisele... by Monica S
- › Christmas Through Their Eyes by AmandaK
- › 6 Mistakes People Make When a Friend's... by momofnatasha
- › Hyland's Holiday Challenge Mothering... by JenniO11
- › Lead in Christmas Lights, Toxic Decorations... by Amy Serotkin
- › Can Attachment Parents Put Their Own... by KidsInTheHouse
- › Phases of a Nursling by OliviaHinebaugh