She has been great... we have her part-time and she brings her daughter, who is the same age as my 2yo son. Ufortunately, I've come to a painful realization... switching ds to daycare would be a $300/mo savings!! Over dd's school year that's a $3,000 difference! It has been lovely having her come to my home, but I think we need to make a change. Any advice on how to break the news?
This makes me really uncomfortable, because I had verbally talked about having her stay for the coming school year, and we had talked about what the upcoming schedule might look like back when I thought dh and I would have more income freed up than it turns out we do.. (I also thought we'd be doing private school for dd, but that isn't going to be a reality either... if I ever want to get a hold of my finances, I just have to tighten things up!) Having her work for us has such an effect on our finances that I just can't ignore the savings any more! I also feel badly, because she is a struggling single, young mama (21) trying to put herself through community college. She and I have also great rapport. Dh is begging me to be more objective about this though. She is not my responsibility after all. The daycare is a really cute, well-run center and ds is ready for more interaction I think.... I don't know.. I just feel badly laying someone off!