We decided to skip all ultrasounds with this little one, except one at 6 weeks in the ER when I was terribly sick with HG and there was a concern something might be wrong. Now, my midwife is strongly suspecting twins and suggested I might want to go get an US to confirm exactly what's growing in me, but is leaving the choice up to me. Even though I already had an early US that showed 1 baby, ultrasounds are notoriously inaccurate for detecting multiples early on, especially given that I was in an ER. The ER tech was pretty young/seemed inexperienced, did it really quickly and once he found the embryo he didn't look any farther or check for anything else.
Reasons why my midwife is suspecting twins:
1)Fundal height, at 19 weeks I was measuring 20, at 23 I was 25, and at 27 I'm now measuring 33, which is a pretty significant jump.
2)Extreme morning sickness/HG
3)While palpating to determine how the baby is laying, she couldn't quite figure out which parts she was feeling. She's a really experienced midwife, so this was unusual for her.
4)Both of my grandparents on my dad's side are fraternal twins.
5)What sounded like an echo on the fetalscope.
6)Kicking this time around has been a bit different than with DS, in that movements are all over the place and more frequent, so possibly if one baby he/she is doing somersaults multiple times a day.
Now I've got to decide if I should have the US and figure out if it's twins, or forgo the US and either be "surprised" with twins or see if there is more evidence for twins in a few more weeks. My midwife is pretty much leaving it up to me, but I'm really on the fence. I'd said I'd only do US if it was medically necessary, but possible twins doesn't in itself seem like a solid reason for an US. So, I thought I'd get some opinions from all you rational and natural Mothering mamas. :) To US or not to US?
Edited by KLeeCW - 6/22/12 at 4:17pm