I'm having an MRI done tomorrow morning with contrast dye. The dye agent they are using is gadolinium. I know kellymom says it's a level 2, so it is generally safe. I also called my local breastfeeding center and they agreed it was probably ok to keep breastfeeing my son who is 5 1/2 months old. BUT my doctor and a radiologist I know recommended I wait. One said to wait 48 hours until feeding him and the other said 24 hours. They both want me to pump and dump. I'm really on the fence since I obviously don't want to endanger my baby at all. My husband is emphatic that I give the baby formula tomorrow, which would be fine with me except that I EBF and don't own a pump or have a stash of milk. So it's going to be a problem for me to express a days worth of milk to be "dumped" plus I'm worried I'll mess up my supply if he suddenly stops eating.
If I skip one day of BF will my milk production be ok?
Would you keep BF or wait a day?
Any tips on expressing by hand?
Anyone had an MRI w contrast while BF?
Thanks for any responses. I'm so worried about the procedure, this feeding issue is just making me more anxious.