I swear, you just look at my hair and it breaks off, even near the root sometimes. It is very dry. I wait days between washes. I've tried different ways of washing, conditioning, treating, etc. I know this is an internal issue. Probably hormonal. I have taken a really good cal-mag supplement, superfoods, and ester-C, along with a multi. In the past I've tried fish oils and skin/nail supplements. Nothing has even come close to making a difference. And my nails are fine. It's just my hair. My skin isn't doing so well either, but the hair is a disaster. Thanks for any insights.
- categoryHealth Healing
Related Forum Threads
- Orthokeratology for Children Last post on Yesterday at 10:52 pm in Health and Healing
- Fevers: Is it normal for my dd to get fevers within 3 weeks of each other? Last post on Yesterday at 10:26 am in Health and Healing
- Lump in groin/lymph area? Last post on Yesterday at 9:15 am in Health and Healing
- Recurrent Corneal Erosion Last post on 5/18/13 at 3:03pm in Health and Healing
- Please help! My children stay sick!! Last post on Yesterday at 10:08 pm in Health and Healing
Supplements to take for brittle hair (and causes?)
Have you tried Evening Primrose Oil and/or Borage oil? Those are both great for skin and hair. I take Evening Primrosw Oil for hormonal issues as well. So maybe that combo would be helpful.
Pretty much anything! It's considered an adaptagen and a women's herb, so basically it will help even out your hormones, dependiing on where they are at the moment. I take it because I have wicked PMS and periods that can last for 12 days at a time if I don't! My dh has been known to ask me if I've been taking my EP during particularly brutal PMS months....he's usually spot on that I've run out or forgotten for over a week.
Just to chime in.
Don't forget Immunologically, one of the most important minerals is selenium. Both animal wise and humans.
It is Absolutely essential for skin and hair among a million other things.
Food sources are brewer's yeast, garlic, liver and eggs. mammal sources are richer than vegetables. All foods lose selenium in processing. Brown rice has 15x the amount of selenium as white rice, and whole wheat bread twice as much selenium as white.
Selenium influences thyroid hormone and iodine metabolism as well as already widely studied antioxidant systems.
Man needs sulfur and its natural contaminant, selenium for skin, hair, fingernails and toenails and to build certain amino acids in the cells and brain, and make sulfonated compounds for the joints.
Sulfur has a key interaction with selenium, and is often referred to as the stepchild of sulfur...
Ohio is very low, Dakota and Nebraska are very high...the wheat and corn grown in Ohio are so low in selenium, that cattle feed was, at one time, shipped from South Dakota in order to supply adequate selenium, before supplemental animals feeds with Selenium was allowed. *They don't do that for us however-do we even know Where our food is coming from!*
What does selenium do? Well, with a deficiency, there is a reduction in the activity of the enzyme gluthathione peroxidase, and this results in reduced immune function, which has its greatest effect on the helper T dependent cells and production of Ig.M is impaired. Which is important since IgM is one of the front line Th1 antibodies which is made in the early stages of an infection.
Without selenium, cysteine and vitamin C are hamstrung.
I am in CA and eat as much local food as I can. I do eat a lot of eggs and garlic and I always do the brown rice and whole grain bread. I never do liver though. It just grosses me out. I guess I could do some brewer's yeast too, but if I'm already doing all those other things, doesn't that mean I should be getting enough selenium already? Is there an actual selenium supplement?
I do think it's mostly hormonal and I started taking the primrose oil a few days ago. There were two different brands. I got the NOW and have been taking 1,500 mg per day. Queen, what dosage do you take? Also, how long do you think it would be until I would start noticing a difference? I'm a little worried about how expensive this is, but if it's truly working, then it's worth it.
Biotin is supposed to help with hair growth. Also perhaps you could try treating your hair and scalp with coconut oil. Or if you can't find any type of solution maybe consider dreadlocks. Then instead of loosing the hair that breaks it will make the dreadlock grow.
- Supplements to take for brittle hair (and causes?)
- › Best (or worst) comments made so far? 31 seconds ago
- › Military STBX and Medical/Tricare Custody 1 minute ago
- › Athletic mamas? 3 minutes ago
- › No Fooling! 8 week Healthy Weight Loss Challenge version 8.0... 4 minutes ago
- › More than 50% of the time, Rude, Moody, Mean ELEVEN Year old Girl. 10 minutes ago
- › May 2013 Chat Thread 12 minutes ago
- › Let's have some introductions! 13 minutes ago
- › Camping Mamas - it's finally spring! 14 minutes ago
- › DH wants to send DSS to live with his mom :( 14 minutes ago
- › May the road rise up to meet you, Dingoes everywhere! 15 minutes ago
- › Trillium Organics OGmama Belly Butter by trilliumama
- › Gaiam Wrap Waist Yoga Pants by Melanie Mayo
- › Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by dayiscoming2006
- › Charlie Banana Reusable Feminine Pads Liner Butterfly, Butterfly by Chapsie
- › Earth Mama-Angel Baby Earth Mama Bottom Balm, 2 fl oz (60 ml) by Chapsie
- › Econobum Individual by Chapsie
- › EnJoye LBI Deluxe Tote Set - Brown by JennaRose
- › Lusa Organics Booty Balm by emkassu
- › I Took the Moon for a Walk by Melanie Mayo
- › BabyKicks Premium Pocket Diaper by KirstenP
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by SmilinMomma
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Melanie Mayo
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf
- › Managing Mom Stress: Sharing Tips and Trying... by Melanie Mayo
- › Who Wants to Sleep Alone? by Cynthia Mosher
- › Should I Train My Child....Like a Dog?! by Sarah Clark
- › Mothering Articles by Melanie Mayo
- › Terms and Conditions - Sustainability Oak... by JenniO11