I swear, you just look at my hair and it breaks off, even near the root sometimes. It is very dry. I wait days between washes. I've tried different ways of washing, conditioning, treating, etc. I know this is an internal issue. Probably hormonal. I have taken a really good cal-mag supplement, superfoods, and ester-C, along with a multi. In the past I've tried fish oils and skin/nail supplements. Nothing has even come close to making a difference. And my nails are fine. It's just my hair. My skin isn't doing so well either, but the hair is a disaster. Thanks for any insights.
- categoryHealth Healingtagged by System, 6/29/12
Related Forum Threads
- Would this pic concern you or is this a lighting/angle issue Last post on 3/5/14 at 6:37pm in Women's Health
- Need Answers. Last post on Yesterday at 4:39 pm in Women's Health
- Inner Vibration in arms, and muscle Twitching. Scared Last post on 3/4/14 at 8:23am in Women's Health
- would you wear shoes with some PVC in them? would you have your child on a blow up bed? Last post on 2/24/14 at 12:35pm in Women's Health
- Pain/Soreness Under Left Breast Last post on 2/19/14 at 1:59pm in Women's Health
3 Family-Tested Secrets to Not Getting Sick
Last edited: 1/2/14
- Thanks for Thinking Pink, Hollywood, Now How About Kids with Cancer?Last edited: 11/2/13
- The Crunchy Mom’s Guide to Working with Your PediatricianLast edited: 10/25/13
- An asthma epidemic and a climate crisisLast edited: 10/31/12
- Mood NeurotransmittersLast edited: 6/27/11
Supplements to take for brittle hair (and causes?)post #1 of 136/29/12 at 11:27amThread Starterpost #2 of 136/30/12 at 9:41ampost #3 of 136/30/12 at 11:02amThread Starterpost #4 of 136/30/12 at 11:04amThread Starterpost #5 of 137/3/12 at 3:26pmThread Starterpost #6 of 137/3/12 at 3:39pmQuote:
Pretty much anything! It's considered an adaptagen and a women's herb, so basically it will help even out your hormones, dependiing on where they are at the moment. I take it because I have wicked PMS and periods that can last for 12 days at a time if I don't! My dh has been known to ask me if I've been taking my EP during particularly brutal PMS months....he's usually spot on that I've run out or forgotten for over a week.post #7 of 137/3/12 at 3:43pmThread Starterpost #8 of 137/5/12 at 9:29am
Just to chime in.
Don't forget Immunologically, one of the most important minerals is selenium. Both animal wise and humans.
It is Absolutely essential for skin and hair among a million other things.
Food sources are brewer's yeast, garlic, liver and eggs. mammal sources are richer than vegetables. All foods lose selenium in processing. Brown rice has 15x the amount of selenium as white rice, and whole wheat bread twice as much selenium as white.
Selenium influences thyroid hormone and iodine metabolism as well as already widely studied antioxidant systems.
Man needs sulfur and its natural contaminant, selenium for skin, hair, fingernails and toenails and to build certain amino acids in the cells and brain, and make sulfonated compounds for the joints.
Sulfur has a key interaction with selenium, and is often referred to as the stepchild of sulfur...
Ohio is very low, Dakota and Nebraska are very high...the wheat and corn grown in Ohio are so low in selenium, that cattle feed was, at one time, shipped from South Dakota in order to supply adequate selenium, before supplemental animals feeds with Selenium was allowed. *They don't do that for us however-do we even know Where our food is coming from!*
What does selenium do? Well, with a deficiency, there is a reduction in the activity of the enzyme gluthathione peroxidase, and this results in reduced immune function, which has its greatest effect on the helper T dependent cells and production of Ig.M is impaired. Which is important since IgM is one of the front line Th1 antibodies which is made in the early stages of an infection.
Without selenium, cysteine and vitamin C are hamstrung.post #9 of 137/6/12 at 10:38amThread Starter
I am in CA and eat as much local food as I can. I do eat a lot of eggs and garlic and I always do the brown rice and whole grain bread. I never do liver though. It just grosses me out. I guess I could do some brewer's yeast too, but if I'm already doing all those other things, doesn't that mean I should be getting enough selenium already? Is there an actual selenium supplement?
I do think it's mostly hormonal and I started taking the primrose oil a few days ago. There were two different brands. I got the NOW and have been taking 1,500 mg per day. Queen, what dosage do you take? Also, how long do you think it would be until I would start noticing a difference? I'm a little worried about how expensive this is, but if it's truly working, then it's worth it.post #10 of 137/28/12 at 12:08pmThread Starterpost #11 of 138/1/12 at 10:21amThread Starterpost #12 of 138/16/12 at 12:26pmThread Starterpost #13 of 139/29/12 at 9:08pm
- Thanks for Thinking Pink, Hollywood, Now How About Kids with Cancer?
- › UGH issue with the hubby 25 seconds ago
- › The Fertility Challenged One Thread - Spring 2014 32 seconds ago
- › What's next mom?? 1 minute ago
- › ~* November 2014 Roll Call *~ 3 minutes ago
- › MARCH CHALLENGE!!!! 1000 Minutes of exercise... 4 minutes ago
- › wise woman sling 5 minutes ago
- › Ideas for weaning 4 year-old 16 minutes ago
- › Worried about measles in NYC 18 minutes ago
- › Surviving a Strong Willed, Clingy Child 19 minutes ago
- › Gallstones and pregnancy 20 minutes ago
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › The Night Before Christmas by rjdoghouse
- › The Polar Express by sassyfirechick
- › Okay to Leave Kids in the Car While Popping... by Melanie Mayo
- › Laundry Zen by Laura Grace Weldon
- › High Needs Mother by BrainChild
- › Homebirth Forum Guidelines by Cynthia Mosher
- › Disclaimer by Cynthia Mosher
- › Does Siri Thwart Social Intelligence? by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeschooling with YouTube by SavvyHomeschool
- › Closing the Door On Childbearing by Melanie Mayo
- › A Journey Through Childhood with Seuss by Melanie Mayo
- › Belly Binding for Prenatal Comfort and... by Kristen Tea