or Connect
Mothering › Groups › May 2012 Birth Club › Discussions › ~~**~~July 1st-14th 2012 Chat~~**~~

~~**~~July 1st-14th 2012 Chat~~**~~ - Page 3

post #41 of 123

Rozzie- yes, 4 hours straight. At 6 weeks he pretty much stopped all his daytime sleeping, just 10 minute cat-naps here and there while we were holding him and walking/bouncing. I went through 2 weeks straight of constantly holding and walking with him- luckily DH was still home, so we'd trade off. We're JUST getting back into sleep now. Thank God. I was about to lose it, and that is stuff I cannot do on my own with all three kids. So now I'm swaddling him differently now (used to do it arms straight down, now I fold his arms over his chest), putting him into the swing with a big blanket draped over it so it's dark and boring in there with the A/C on for white noise. This is my current working method.

 

Some weeks are pretty crap and about all you CAN do is complain about it. Being out of routine, trying vacation (that's what happened at my parents when we went down for our visit/vacation- it was totally exhausting, and not getting any physical activity can all create problems. I got out of the house yesterday to walk the dog- a long, brisk walk- and I feel much better today than I have in a few days.

post #42 of 123
Hi ladies - figured I was due to actually check-in, rather than just doing drive-bys.

Life has been a whirlwind these last 6 weeks. Ezri has been home almost 2 weeks now, and she's doing beautifully. Her stitches came out last week and her Echo and EKG were both clear. She was 9 lbs 8 oz yesterday at our 6 wk pp visit w my MW. She's been gaining an average of 2 oz/day since we came home. And she's gained 3/4 of an inch since birth. She is still super skinny and long, which is the same pattern DS followed, although her thighs are chunkier than his were at this age. She's in 3-6 mo sleepers and some 6 mos depending on the brand. She does have a quiet cry, and the cardio said it sounds like her vocal nerve was damaged. It typically takes 2-6 mos for it to heal, so for now I can't even hear her crying in the bedroom if I'm in the kitchen (1 room away).

Sleep has been in short supply. She's only now getting into a regular schedule instead of the round-the-clock NICU schedule. Naps are a big problem, and I went out this weekend and bought a swing, which is actually working to get us some daytime sleep. She is a very noisy sleeper and I would love to know if anyone else has dealt w this and might have a suggestion... She'll wake in the night, eat, and then fuss for 10-15 minutes, last night it was 45 minutes. Burping doesn't help, pacifier doesn't help, swaddling, bouncing, I can't find anything that reliably stops the fussing before she's ready. But she'll fuss and then boom, she's asleep (but only at night - if it's light then she'll fuss herself fully awake). But between her and the toddler climbing into bed w me before 6, I'm getting jack for sleep.

We're also dealing w behavior and potty regressions w DS. I'm hoping the lead therapist has some suggestions for us, because I'm not ready to revert back to diapers, but we're headed that way. He starts preschool in Sept, and he's not ready, nor can I forsee him being ready at this rate. However, he adores his sister, so while I have to keep him from smothering her w hugs and kisses, I don't have to worry about him deliberately hurting her.

As for feeding, we had to do a lot of work to get her eating again after surgery. But now that's all she does some days. The hospital stay really clarified my supply problems, as a full day of pumping (6x20 minutes) would get me 1/2 oz of milk. We tested my prolactin levels, and I was at 28 (normal is 100 during the 4th trimester), so I am taking Domperidone. I was warned by the LC and my MW that w hormone levels that low there is nothing I can do to even approximate a full supply. Luckily she seems very boob-centric, so she does still want to nurse even though most of her food is coming from a bottle, so I'm contemplating just skipping the supplementation (feeding at the breast, which is so much more work), so long as she continues to nurse a few times a day. We have been able to keep her mostly on BM since surgery, and I have a 2-ish month supply in the freezer right now. If anyone has an oversupply and interested in sharing, PM me, I'll pay shipping. I've also taken on the task of educating people about true low supply (vs perceived). I'm thinking about pursuing LC certification.

Our support network has been amazing through all this. And I've also learned to swallow my pride and accept the help. That's been really tough for me, but while dealing w the hospital, I didn't have a choice. We actually left DS w 2 sets of grandparents who I never foresaw being willing to leave him with.

Ok, this has taken me hours to type up, so I'm gonna submit before anything else comes up.
post #43 of 123
Astraia - I could still swaddle DS in the A&A blanket at 9 mos. Totally order it.

Onemore - what nipple are you thinking is too slow? I doubt it. Born Free is one of the slowest I've found, and DS is still using the NB flow nipple at almost 3 yrs. I went looking for slow flow nipples while in the hospital, and most of them are actually pretty quick compared to BF. You don't want them getting used to and wanting a fast flow, they may start preferring the bottle.

No crap about low carb here. I need to get back on that wagon myself, but we need to get through more of the freezer food first. I function so much better when I'm following that lifestyle. But the first 3 weeks of making that change are so difficult mentally.

How is everyone getting back into shape? I was working toward a half-marathon when I got pg, so I'm thinking about that again. Not because I have any attachment to the idea of a marathon, but because it's a quantifiable goal to work toward, and you have to have stamina to do it. You don't have to be in great shape, but you do have to achieve decent shape. I just wish stroller strides wasn't so expensive. Maybe I should look for a walk/jog buddy locally to go around the lake with me (and stroller) a few times each week.
post #44 of 123
Oh, and on the subject of CD, we've been doing it all along, except the time in the hospital. Where w DS I loved fitteds and wool, this time I'm loving my pockets. I'm about ready to sell my fitteds and buy more pockets. My Rumparooz fit her even under 8 lbs, and DS can still wear them at 50ish lbs. Other than my Disana tie nappies, they're totally my faves. And w all the cute clothes (outfits) people are giving us, wool just doesn't work.
post #45 of 123
Thread Starter 

Cristeen ((big hugs)) - you guys have all been though so much and I am glad that (damaged vocal cords aside) every thing appears to be looking up. I hope you can start getting some sleep soon.

The nipple I was using was one the hospital gave me - I really think its for preemies cause its about as big as my pinkie. Kind of like a "soothie" pacifier only its a bottle nipple. She did better with the Born Free bottle though I have to admit - I think I like the playtex drop ins better. I know, I know....

 

Has any one heard from Poppy? I am missing some of the regulars. :"(

post #46 of 123

I can sympathize with the sleep issues.  For the past two weeks, DD will only nap if she's being held.  If I try to put her in her crib she either wakes immediately or will wake shortly thereafter.  She typically sleeps well at night, but once the 6'o clock hour comes she wants out.  I think it's the light.   She will at least sleep next to me in the bed until a decent hour.  I guess we need to get black out curtains for her nursery.  She's tolerating some time in the swing now, but not always.  Sometimes I can at least take a quick trip to the bathroom or get myself something to eat/drink.  She still won't let me wear her, although DH can sometimes.  She's recently taken to hating her car seat so I don't think we'll be visiting relatives in the near future (about 4 hours away).  I can't believe she'll be 8 weeks on Sunday!  I think she might be trying to roll over.  I'm curious to see when that actually happens, all of these milestones and such are overwhelming to keep up with.  She at least didn't fuss at me during tummy time this morning.  Some days it feels like if she's awake all she wants to do is be at the breast and if I try anything else she fusses.  There are times where I love it and then sometimes I hate it.  The transition from no kids to baby hasn't been as easy as I had hoped it would be.  I do feel like it's getting better, but this whole not-napping-in-the-crib during the day thing makes it difficult.  I don't like being glued to the couch much.  Maybe I'll regret saying that once she's mobile :) 

 

Cristeen - I'm glad you are getting some help.  I think it's great that you're trying so hard to breastfeed, it's truly amazing.  Keep it up!  I hope you get some sleep soon.

 

 

I wish I could do a better job of posting, but it seems like I rarely get a chance to type with both hands.  She's asleep on my chest right now and luckily I remembered to stash my laptop on the couch this time! 

post #47 of 123

DS is taking his afternoon nap in the k'tan!!!  So far I've accomplished eating lunch, sterilizing pump and bottle parts, hanging cloth diapers on the line, researching used cars to buy and posting here!  I feel hugely accomplished and I haven't even gone to work.  Of course, I haven't prepared my classes for this evening, but we've got to take the victories where we can get them, right?

 

Onemore - I'm so glad that BFing is still working for you.  That's awesome!  I went to a LLL meeting today.  It looks like my latch is good and the general consensus was that around 3 months things start to improve as far as BFing goes.  I just keep working through it.

 

Cristeen - It sounds like you're doing a great job adjusting.  It's great that you have so much support and are able to use it even though it's hard.

 

We've been doing cloth diapers from about 2 weeks.  It's going great for us.  We started off using flats folded many times when he was so tiny.  Now we're using prefolds.  I have a lot of inserts but really nothing seems to work as well as my GMD prefolds so I try to stick with those.  My friends are skeptical that we'll be able to continue with cloth once I go back to work full time, but I don't see that it will be a problem since my MIL will be watching DS and she's on board.  As long as I can keep up with the laundry we'll be fine.

 

Happy Wednesday!

post #48 of 123
Cristeen I am so happy to hear from you! And so thrilled baby is recovering so well, and that your DS loves her, etc etc. sorry about the potty regressions though - fairly typical though I can imagine if my DS pulled a potty regression on top of everything else he is testing me with these days it would throw me over the edge - he is a bit older than your DSthough, he will be 4 in November.
On that subject - oh this week is so crappy! DH gone til Saturday morning and DS1 who typically sleeps soundly 7:30 to 7:30 (again he is 3.5 years old) is suddenly waking up for GOOD at 5 am or earlier??! I honestly think he Iis doing it to test me. So even if the baby goes back to sleep after waking up at 4:30 to nurse, DS1 is waking both of us up by purposefully stomping his feet and being an overall pain. I know he is trying to get attention but with me solo parenting I honestly don't care why he is doing it, it just makes me mad
My mantra "this too shall pass," only works to a point... I breathe in-breathe out, then I cry, then I gulp down coffee and pray that Saturday comes quickly ...eyesroll.gif

I also am impressed with the half marathon goal. I've been thinking about a race to train for - good to have a specific goal, but I also don't want to set myself up for failure ... Going to first see if I can manage to get to the gym every day when I get back to work august 20 - even if for just 20 minutes. That is my first goal.

One extremely positive experience this week: with my mom visiting from nyc this week and babysitting during the day i was able to go to my first studio yoga class yesterday at the Baptiste power yoga place I was going to regularly before getting pregnant. OMG it was amazing! There was no doubt in my mind that if I did that two or three times a week moving forward it would have such a positive impact mentally and physically ... However, it will be super hard to manage even once a week once my parents leave and I have to rely on DH to watch baby during the class. And then fit it into my work schedule ... Oy.

MLog: I have a K'Tan and a boba too! Baby loves the boba. He would always nap in the K'Tan too for the first weeks but I haven't put him in it since getting the boba, and now he is giant ... But I really do like the simplicity of the K'Tan - I was thinking of trying again when he is ready to put out his legs. Are you using the newborn hold for both carriers?
I have this weird situation where Kai is enormous - really chunky and really long/Tall, so he seems like he would begone spreading out his legs in the carrier but he still really likes being scrunched up on my body like a newborn
I didn't get my ergo with DS1 until he was 4 months old, so I didnt experience/don't know if other two month old babies are getting carried with their legs out or not?

I also am missing mamas here- I wonder how poppy and linnie3 are doing?

Oh - and Astraia- order the blankets! They are the best. You won't regret it they are beautiful and the best swaddlers and so big - and great in the heat
post #49 of 123

I'm using GMD prefolds as well!  We've been using them since DD was about 2 weeks.  I have some pocket diapers that I have yet to try out, but I really like the prefolds so I haven't been too curious about the pockets.  I have some GMD flats, but they are large.  Maybe I should get some small ones.

post #50 of 123

Rozzie- you can do a one leg in/ one leg out for the boba (or k'tan or any carrier, really!) That's what I'm doing for Everett whenever I try a carrier. He does NOT like having both legs scrunched in and tries to push his way up and out, but he's too small to have both legs out yet.

 

Where does DS1 sleep? We let Orrin in bed with us in the mornings if he's QUIET. If he makes noise, jumps in the bed, etc then he is (supposed) to go back to his own bed. Sometimes I'll go lay down with him in his bed (he's got a twin bed, so I fit!) if Everett looks like he's going to sleep a bit longer. I'm usually wide awake by then, but sometimes I can get everyone settled back to sleep for another 40 minutes or so. Sometimes we'll all doze for another hour in my bed. Sometimes I wake up with three kids in my bed and have no idea when or how the other two got there, but they get the closeness with me without me needing to do anything. Could you do that?

 

And saying "This too shall pass" has never worked for me. Coffee and chocolate and playdates with other moms who can sympathaize..

 

Casmer- I strongly dislike being tied to the couch. Not being able to do "stuff" (whatever this mysterious "stuff" might be!) makes me feel trapped, almost claustrophobic. I need to be able to move!

 

Mlog- I love productive naps! Of course, I also love drink a coffee and watch So You Think You Can Dance naps, too ;)

 

Cristeen- sounds tough! The quiet cry is a bit scary, but glad it should improve! Gaining weight, growing well :) Hopefully the routine settles in for you guys (a positive sleep routine, I mean!). And it's good that you've got something to help your milk supply. I didn't realize prolactin was a thing they could test,but it's nice to have an explanation.

 

Blankets - alright, alright, I'll order them!

post #51 of 123

cristeen, so glad to hear from you!  i think you would make an amazing lc!  :)

 

layla does the same fussing thing.  she has never really been one to nurse to sleep.  which is really ok with me, because i'd rather not get in that habit anyway.  but i think i've figured out the key to getting her to sleep without fussing.  i have to get her in her bed before she starts acting like she's tired.  the last two nights i've been putting her in her crib at 9 so i can get the older two tucked in and she's been asleep by the time i get back, about 5 minutes or less.  no fussing.  but when she wakes at around 12 and 5, it's fuss city.  i think it's because i nurse her and doze off until she strts fussing, which by that time it's too late.  tonight i'm going to try to stay awake and get her back in her bed before she fusses.  staying awake for 20 min. while she nurses is better than being awake for the hr. + it takes her to fall asleep once she gets fussy.  btw, she fusses no matter if she;s in our bed or hers.  this whole parenting thing is one big experiment, isn't it?  lol

 

astraia, i feel you on the trapped thing.  i feel the same way right now.  she fell asleep on my lap while i was typing this and i know she'll wake up if i move her.  but i need to start dinner!  i also need to get my cc so i can order these books on amazon.  i hate having the kids be my go-fers.  sounds silly, but i don't want them to go home and telling their mom that i sit around all day on the computer and make them get me stuff.  :\  i'm gonna try to transfer her to the swing.  wish me luck!  :)

post #52 of 123

Well sorry I haven't checked in lately,

 

I hear you all about the lack of sleep, Sång  on;y goes to sleep nursing and las few weeks she was up from about 10pm to 1am cluster feeding and then during the day sleeping about 30 minutues then waking to nurse. I think she was having her 4 month growth spurt.

 

Casmer and Grace and Sarah  I too have been couch tied LOL! Everytime I tried to get anything done Sång  would fuss I could barely fold clothes or cook or anything! Over the past two weeks it drove me crazy but I had to keep telling my self she is growing so that's good. It just I have so much to get done over the next few weeks.

 

Cristeen i am gald to hear Ezri is gaingin and doing so well, all the support is what got us through when Sång  was in the nicu and when she first came home.

 

 

Onemoreontheway! HI!!!!!!! been thinking about you I think Sång  may fit the dress I'll have to try it on her and take a pic. And that does sound like a preemie nipple Sång  has some with slow flow, I still use them when she gets the occasional bottle, It's so hard to EBF and pump though for that once a day bottle I have no stash saved up anymore "sigh"

 

 

So I have been PACKING! We are moving back east! We thought we were going to wait one more year but we have been discussing it over the last few mths and made the descision it is time to go back to CT full time.  DD will be going into 3rd grade and we want her ingrained into the school there before going to the middle school for 4th grade and DS will start Kinder with my highschool best friend's son. The renovations on our home in CT are almost finished. I am excited and so are the kids but there is a lot to be done with packing and the movers OYE! The next few weeks with be hectic but a fun adventure.

 

sorry no time for spelling NAK

post #53 of 123

Hope the transfer worked! Having the older ones tell their mother you sat around all day would be hard for me too. I felt like that when my brother lived with us- I kept thinking he'd call my parents and moan about the mess or how there was never anything to eat and I sucked at this whole "being a mom" business, and I found it stressful. Not that they'd judge me (I don't think?) or that he'd even do that, but he COULD have and that was enough for me to feel guilty and clean or make batches of cookies when I was flat exhausted.

 

I don't understand how people can get their babies to sleep. Are you just putting Layla down? I walk/rock/bounce/swaddle/shush (or all at once, more often then not!) in a desperate attempt to make Everett sleep, but no matter how tired he is he'll only sleep when HE feels like it.

post #54 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astraia View Post


 

Blankets - alright, alright, I'll order them!


If you do "myhabit" from Amazon, they had single A & A blankets for 16 bucks today... seems easier to step into then 50 ! even though it is one blanket... and not 3... They had super cute colors/patterns, too.

 

random thoughts:

 

All I can say is that everything is nuts in my house with 5 kids and working. : / They seem to keep busy but man... it is crazy.  I have one at camp next week, and then another at camp the following week... and then 2 at a 3 day camp 2 weeks after that.  Having one at camp makes a huge difference!  So we just have to get through this week.

 

And I think I might have potentially 4 kids at 4 different schools in the fall... at least 3 kids in 3 different schools and if I sign my 2.5 year old up for montessori casa it will be 4.  the thought is just scary! ! ! ! I'll be like the busy driver...

post #55 of 123
Thread Starter 

anyone else feeling like an extremely neglectful parent to your olders? bah. some days I totally do. :( I am going to bed before Dodi wakes up! love reading everyones updates

post #56 of 123

Neglectful to elders? Nothing like saying no to almost every request, too (can you read me this? Can you snuggle with me? Can you push me on the swing?- all very hard to do while holding a screaming, sleepy baby).

post #57 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astraia View Post

Hope the transfer worked! Having the older ones tell their mother you sat around all day would be hard for me too. I felt like that when my brother lived with us- I kept thinking he'd call my parents and moan about the mess or how there was never anything to eat and I sucked at this whole "being a mom" business, and I found it stressful. Not that they'd judge me (I don't think?) or that he'd even do that, but he COULD have and that was enough for me to feel guilty and clean or make batches of cookies when I was flat exhausted.

 

I don't understand how people can get their babies to sleep. Are you just putting Layla down? I walk/rock/bounce/swaddle/shush (or all at once, more often then not!) in a desperate attempt to make Everett sleep, but no matter how tired he is he'll only sleep when HE feels like it.

It worked!  Phew!  :) 

 

I know their mom would probably understand, but I just can't stand the thought of anyone thinking I'm lazy.  And their dad is here most of the time, so it's not even like they're being neglected.  I know I care too much about what other people think, but I can't help it.  :\

 

I've just been putting her in her bed (before she acts sleepy) and leaving her be.  She goes right to sleep!  BUT, if I don't get her down before she starts fussing it's an hour of patting her before she finally drifts off to la la land.  Last night she went right to sleep at 9, but was awake at 10.  She went back down after nursing and snuggles and slept until 5:30 this morning!!!  I'm still in shock.  But so thankful, because SO is out of town until tomorrow, and the older kids are usually up at 6.  He usually gets up with them and lets me sleep until about 10 or so.  I was really stressing about how I was going to manage being up with her all night then getting up with them, but it all worked out.  :)  Praise the Lord!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post

Well sorry I haven't checked in lately,

 

I hear you all about the lack of sleep, Sång  on;y goes to sleep nursing and las few weeks she was up from about 10pm to 1am cluster feeding and then during the day sleeping about 30 minutues then waking to nurse. I think she was having her 4 month growth spurt.

 

Casmer and Grace and Sarah  I too have been couch tied LOL! Everytime I tried to get anything done Sång  would fuss I could barely fold clothes or cook or anything! Over the past two weeks it drove me crazy but I had to keep telling my self she is growing so that's good. It just I have so much to get done over the next few weeks.

 

Cristeen i am gald to hear Ezri is gaingin and doing so well, all the support is what got us through when Sång  was in the nicu and when she first came home.

 

 

Onemoreontheway! HI!!!!!!! been thinking about you I think Sång  may fit the dress I'll have to try it on her and take a pic. And that does sound like a preemie nipple Sång  has some with slow flow, I still use them when she gets the occasional bottle, It's so hard to EBF and pump though for that once a day bottle I have no stash saved up anymore "sigh"

 

 

So I have been PACKING! We are moving back east! We thought we were going to wait one more year but we have been discussing it over the last few mths and made the descision it is time to go back to CT full time.  DD will be going into 3rd grade and we want her ingrained into the school there before going to the middle school for 4th grade and DS will start Kinder with my highschool best friend's son. The renovations on our home in CT are almost finished. I am excited and so are the kids but there is a lot to be done with packing and the movers OYE! The next few weeks with be hectic but a fun adventure.

 

sorry no time for spelling NAK

Good luck with the move!  I hope it all goes smoothly for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestmushroom View Post


If you do "myhabit" from Amazon, they had single A & A blankets for 16 bucks today... seems easier to step into then 50 ! even though it is one blanket... and not 3... They had super cute colors/patterns, too.

 

random thoughts:

 

All I can say is that everything is nuts in my house with 5 kids and working. : / They seem to keep busy but man... it is crazy.  I have one at camp next week, and then another at camp the following week... and then 2 at a 3 day camp 2 weeks after that.  Having one at camp makes a huge difference!  So we just have to get through this week.

 

And I think I might have potentially 4 kids at 4 different schools in the fall... at least 3 kids in 3 different schools and if I sign my 2.5 year old up for montessori casa it will be 4.  the thought is just scary! ! ! ! I'll be like the busy driver...

Ooh boy!  That sounds hectic!  Are the schools at least close to each other?

post #58 of 123

Bubble -  I am so jealous that Layla goes to sleep so easily.  DD fights it so much.  She has always been very alert though, even the nurse practitioners comment when we go in for her check-ups.  It's really rough when she gets over tired though...oy!  I think I'm going to have a very active kiddo on my hands, which is the reason I keep telling DH if we have a second then she'll have to be somewhere around 4 years old before I'll consider it LOL.  I don't know how everyone manages the older kids with a baby.  I'm struggling to keep it together with a dog and a baby!  That's why I really love this group though, you're all super-women in my opinion :)

 

 

Sky - good luck moving!  We moved five years ago and I'm still traumatized! haha. I'm sure it will be worth it though to be in one spot and to be in a newly renovated home!

post #59 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by casmer View Post

Bubble -  I am so jealous that Layla goes to sleep so easily.  DD fights it so much.  She has always been very alert though, even the nurse practitioners comment when we go in for her check-ups.  It's really rough when she gets over tired though...oy!  I think I'm going to have a very active kiddo on my hands, which is the reason I keep telling DH if we have a second then she'll have to be somewhere around 4 years old before I'll consider it LOL.  I don't know how everyone manages the older kids with a baby.  I'm struggling to keep it together with a dog and a baby!  That's why I really love this group though, you're all super-women in my opinion :)

 

 

Sky - good luck moving!  We moved five years ago and I'm still traumatized! haha. I'm sure it will be worth it though to be in one spot and to be in a newly renovated home!

Don't be too jealous.  I have to get her down at that magic moment, otherwise she fights it.  I don't always get her down in time either. 

post #60 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astraia View Post

Blankets - alright, alright, I'll order them!

Astraia! I have an extra I'd be happy to send you if you haven't ordered them yet.  I've been following along and tried to type last night but my baby was sooo grumpy. She's been drooling a ton and so fussy... could she be pre-teething at 2.5 months?? Maybe just an off day.

  Return Home
  Back to Forum: May 2012 Birth Club
Mothering › Groups › May 2012 Birth Club › Discussions › ~~**~~July 1st-14th 2012 Chat~~**~~