Does anyone take chasteberry solely for relieving PMS symptoms? I searched through the archives but most people seem to take it if they're ttc. I'm not ttc I just don't want to feel like I want to kill some one prior to getting my period (slight exaggeration but only slight ) I got some halfway through my last cycle and started taking one/day and I definitely felt more even keeled. But I have no idea if I should take it every day to keep my hormones stabilized or if I should only take it within a week or two of when I think I'll be getting my period. And what dose do you take if you take it? I'm currently taking 400 mg/day. And is it safe to take long term? Thanks for any advice you can give me.
- categoryHealth Healing
Related Forum Threads
- Three year old boy Fever each month like clock work :( Last post on Yesterday at 10:08 am in Health and Healing
- 4 month old phlegm cough-- any thoughts or advice?? Last post on Yesterday at 9:35 am in Health and Healing
- whats the best elderberry syrup brand? Last post on Yesterday at 9:11 am in Health and Healing
- Random nighttime vomiting + swollen, puffy face/abdomen in 11-year-old Last post on 5/21/13 at 6:42am in Health and Healing
- Does anyone have AVIVA ROMM'S respiratory immune tonic recipe? Last post on 5/21/13 at 7:17am in Health and Healing
Chasteberry for PMS management
I've used it more for stabilizing cycles. I would imagine it might help for PMS. I think it is a balancing herb, so if something was 'off' about your hormones it should help. You also might want to get a thyroid test to make sure you are not off that way too. That can cause irritability.
I've never heard of it for PMS. A B6 supplement has been a God-send for PMS/PMDD for many. Taking a B-complex and then additional B6 to bring you to 150mg/day seems to do the trick for most (some have to go to 200mg in second half of the month). Seems to simple to work, but I can attest.
There's a very long thread on this in the Mental Health forum. Saved my marriage and my sanity.
vitex/chasteberry totally helped with my PMS and bad hormonal acne. i took it as i was weaning of birth control pills for the last time, and it made me feel balanced and my cycles jumped back to normal immediately. it supposed to take about three months to kick in. if you do some research you'll see a couple of German studies showing its positive influence on PMS symptoms. i second the b vitamin post above as well!
Yup... here ya go! It's a loooooooong one! http://www.mothering.com/community/t/993349/life-w-pmdd-severe-pms-support
Thanks for all the replies! A friend told me it helped balance her moods so I wanted to try it, but I couldn't find a lot of info on the web or here to determine if it would actually help for that. And I couldn't find info on whether women took it daily or not. And to clarify, I'm actually taking 80 mg/day not 400. Not sure why I was so off on the dose. I'm going to check out that thread.
- Chasteberry for PMS management
- › May the road rise up to meet you, Dingoes everywhere! 44 seconds ago
- › Anybody here planning a homebirth? 1 minute ago
- › Puppy Naming Poll 1 minute ago
- › How are you feeling? 2 minutes ago
- › Wedding Photographer in RI 4 minutes ago
- › Anyone doing IUI? 4 minutes ago
- › Breech Babies Turn! 4 minutes ago
- › 40 week roll call! 5 minutes ago
- › Breast pump covered by insurance 6 minutes ago
- › Weekly Chat --May 20-26 8 minutes ago
- › Bravado Designs Bodysilk Seamless Nursing Bra by casaDES
- › Lansinoh 20265 Disposable Nursing Pads, 60-pack by KaliShanti
- › Boppy Nursing Pillow with Slipcover by earobb
- › Medela Nightime Nursing Sleep Bra by earobb
- › Motherhood Wireless Full Coverage Nursing Bra by earobb
- › NUK Ultra Thin Nursing Pads, 60 Pack by earobb
- › The First Years Breastflow BPA Free Bottle, 5 Ounce by KaliShanti
- › Simple Wishes Hands-Free Breastpump Bra, XS/S/M by KaliShanti
- › Seal N Go Breast Milk Freezer Disposable Liners - 25 / Pack by KaliShanti
- › Medela Quick Clean Micro-Steam Bags by KaliShanti
- › Why We Homeschool by Sheryl Paul
- › A Mama's Peace by AmandaK
- › 7 Simple Recipes to Bless a New Mom by Melanie Mayo
- › Closing Up Shop: Life After Vasectomy by Melanie Mayo
- › My Heart Growing Fonder by Melanie Mayo
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by Melanie Mayo
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Amy Lansky
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf