So I LOVE LOVE LOVE my practice of midwives. They are wonderful women and I totally trust them. They run a birth center that is 100 feet away from the hospital (freestanding though) and they have full privileges at that hospital. This is our second child and the first was born with this practice although we did transfer to the hospital after I never got past 8cm in 28 hours of labor (got an epidural, 6 hours of sleep, and then DD was born after 2hrs of pushing).
This pregnancy has been perfect in every way but one - we were diagnosed with a single umbilical artery or a two vessel cord. This is linked to all kinds of scary stuff, but for us, everything is coming back totally perfect - no defects, no chromosomal issues, everything is good and the SUA is an isolated issue. This has NOT risked us out of our birth center, although I do take some comfort in knowing that it would be so easy to transfer to the hospital if anything went wrong.
Here is my dilemma - in my state, the only midwives who have been able to do homebirths are CPMs or lay midwives. I simply don't feel safe enough without a CNM. I know not everyone agrees, but that's a dealbreaker for me. And so we have been planning as close to a homebirth as possible by going to the birth center. The two main drawbacks to the birth center are that it's not in my home, and it is one hour away. The drive during labor really wasn't an issue last time, and I don't anticipate that it will be a significant issue this time either, but it would be SOOOOO great to not have to do it, especially because we have an almost 2 1/2 year old and who has never been left alone for more than 4 hours in her entire life.
Well, I just found out yesterday that very recently an older practice that used to do homebirths has reopened with CNMs performing homebirths. Also, they have full privileges in the hospital that just so happens to be about 6 minutes from my home. It's a great hospital and definitely the one I would choose if I wasn't using the birth center.
I would love to have a homebirth. I would love more than anything . My issues are essentially that I am now 35 weeks pregnant and I don't know if it makes sense to transfer now even if the homebirth practice would take me, and I also don't know whether the SUA thing should factor into my decision.
Not sure what to do...