I had surgery 11 May to remove an ectopic and my left tube. I discovered I was pregnant again on 3 July. Ive seen a couple of nurses, and have HCG quants done, to attempt to rule out another ectopic. I don't know how pregnant I am, exactly, since I had a really long cycle after my surgery and I wasn't charting. Im only guessing how far along I am based on when my pregnancy tests started being positive. I was having some mild cramping today - nothing that felt serious, but I wanted to rule out an ectopic - so I called the OB nurse and she sent me to the ER. They did an ultrasound and drew more blood for HCG quants. (Monday, 9 July, my HCG was at 1,017; Wednesday 11 July it was 2,598; today is was 13,700 something, I believe. I know it was over 13,000.)
Once it came back, the doctor came in and abruptly told me it was a molar pregnancy and I'd need to have a d&c tonight. My HCG was high but they found "nothing but a blob" on the ultrasound. He told me to go up to the OB clinic and they'd do a second ultrasound to confirm before they "did anything to me." I went to OB, where they had several doctors there, including someone who apparently specialized in this kind of thing. During the first u/s in the OB clinic, they were finding nothing but some cysts and what they said was consistent with the "snowstorm" pattern and they were telling me that, no matter what else they find, this pregnancy was definitely not going to result in a baby. Then sudden, one of them goes, "wait a sec! What is that?!" and they zoomed in and tried to get measurements, before deciding to send me to have an u/s with the 3D u/s machine. A third doctor came in and they looked for a while, and decided that there did, in fact, what appeared to be a gestation sac in there, so they decided not to do the D&C, but wait a week to see if there was a fetal pole next Monday. They were not super-encouraging, though, because they really thought that I should have, at the very least, a visible fetal pole with that high of HCG in my system. I have heard that, even with high HCG, it's not abnormal to see much of anything if I am, in fact, only 5-5.5 weeksish.
Another odd thing: my fundal height is measuring around 10-12 weeks. They had no explanation for that, other than multiples (which also explains the high HCG), but they assured me that they definitely didn't see anything other than the one sac.
I go back tomorrow to have my HCG drawn again, and a week from today, I go back for another ultrasound.
What do you make of this? Has anyone had a similar experience? What was the outcome? Should I assume that this pregnancy is not viable, or is it not unheard of to not see anything other than a sac right now, regardless of my HCG?